Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They are truly so inbred in their business practices it makes you laugh. There really hasn't been enough outside fresh blood injected into it to change things. Sales People that are good become finance or Used Car Managers or Sales Mangers and they become GM's. Wash, rinse, repeat.

And consumers are sort of to blame; when someone comes in and wants to upset the order like a CarMax people use them as another tool to continue engaging the practice that they profess to hate so badly.

???If you just went to the dealership and sat down and said "I want this at Full Sticker - Ford's rebate" they'd let you do it. Gladly. And probably give you a massage and a gift certificate to the Olive Garden.
I base my comment entirely on the time spent and inconvenience of purchasing through a dealership, which in itself is enough to kill the excitement of test driving and taking delivery of a new auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
The car I currently drive I purchased August 2008. So there is that method of dealing (or rather not dealing) with dealers.

Sadly, poor little Jeep is eventually gonna need replacing if I can't just get a new engine, transmission or, whatever else.

I'll offer 10K down (maybe 15). If they do not have the car I want, with the specs I want, at the price I want and, if they have to step out of my eyesight for any reason, they will not even get my name as I walk out the door.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The car I currently drive I purchased August 2008. So there is that method of dealing (or rather not dealing) with dealers.

Sadly, poor little Jeep is eventually gonna need replacing if I can't just get a new engine, transmission or, whatever else.

I'll offer 10K down (maybe 15). If they do not have the car I want, with the specs I want, at the price I want and, if they have to step out of my eyesight for any reason, they will not even get my name as I walk out the door.
Good luck on a Jeep they don’t have to haggle on prices for jeeps their is always a buyer for jeeps at full price, if you walk there will be someone to else they can sell it to.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Anyone else really dislike this? I remember in the past going to dealerships and either no salesperson came out when we drove up, or we told them "only looking" and they backed away.

A few weeks ago stopped at 3 dealerships and sure enough, at the two I got out at, someone was walking out before I even got out of the car. One I just drove through because I didn't figure they had anything I wanted. But they were already following me around as I drove. lol One of them kept pestering me to come inside and meet the sales manager, etc, I almost couldn't get away fast enough. Despite I kept telling them I was just starting to look and wasn't even sure what I wanted yet.

Another thing that annoyed me is that dealer network doesn't put the price on their cars, but they do online. So I decided, no more dealership trips. I can see what they have online, and the price and mileage. There's no point in going there and dealing with all the pushiness until I see something I'm actually interested in on the website, in the right color, trim etc. Then I can go and look at it more closely, possibly test drive, etc once I know it's there. Until then, no need to go through all that. The only issue with it is, it's hard to know if you're going to be interested in a car unless you actually get a feel for it. So you might be waiting on something you decide wasn't what you though it would be other than the looks of it.

I know like anyone in sales, they're trying to earn their living. I just get tired of being asked how much I want to finance, do I have trade in, etc. I always feel like if I answer those questions early on, then they already know how much they can get out of me. Oh, and they always assume that since I'm young, and drive an older car, then I'm going to have trouble getting financing or someone is going to have to pay for the car for me.

Of course I'm sure they're just trying to be helpful but I know what I am willing to spend, and they don't need to know all of that up front. I just want to look at cars I'm interested in.

You're exactly the kind of customer they're looking for. The salesman will know just what kind of car you're looking for, and by coincidence, they'll just happen to have what you're looking for right on their lot.

You need to do your research before you ever set foot on a dealership lot. That means coming up with a mission profile so you can determine what kind of vehicle you need. Then you need to research the type of vehicle that best meets your needs. Otherwise, you'll let yourself get talked into something you don't like or don't need or is too expensive or too repair-prone.

I'm guessing you're looking at used cars. New cars have to have a Monroney sticker indicating the MSRP. Used car dealers and salesmen are particularly shady. To them, you're what fresh meat is to a wolf.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It's more about the behavior of the customer then the dealership.

All dealerships have a Sales Manager. His/her job is to get the salespeople to sell cars. There are multiple tactics and theories about selling. Some are more aggressive and some less aggressive.

Some people complain that no salesperson approached them IMMEDIATELY while others complain about salespeople approaching too quickly.
Some just wish to browse while others want to deal right away.

For the most part, the customer has to do their homework and decide what they want before going to the dealership. While others don't have a clue what they want and require the salesperson to explain everything about all/many of the vehicles.

Best.
Use this tactic if customer just wants to browse. Simple and effective.

Just wear one of those "Leave Me Alone, I'm Just Looking" t-shirts.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
3 months ago when I was looking to buy a new Mini Van for the family, I went online and checked several car buying services. They all required you to enter your phone number. Within hours I was deluged with calls from dealers anywhere from local to 50 miles away.

They continued to call daily even after being asked to stop and told I was no longer interested in making a purchase. Shortly after the phone calls started the continuous stream of E-Mails began and continues to this day.

Your best defense is to use a burner phone and a special purpose e-mail address. I've done this in the past when looking for a new vehicle or selling something on Craigslist.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Good luck on a Jeep they don’t have to haggle on prices for jeeps their is always a buyer for jeeps at full price, if you walk there will be someone to else they can sell it to.

That is so not true. There are lots of avenues to get a new Jeep Wrangler at the so-called dealer cost or lower. Buy a lesser Jeep (every other Jeep except a Wrangler) and it's no different than buying any other vehicle.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
You are correct I’ve seen these 10 min oil change places strip drain pan plugs, over fill the oil or not even put in oil and put in wrong oil filter. These are a bunch of high school kids working there. I’ve never ever taken my vehicles to one of those places ever since I’ve been driving since i was 16 years old in 1971.

Quote:
I don’t know why people on here have a problem with dealers i went 2 weeks ago and leased a 2018.5 Nissan Rogue Sport Sv with the winter package was in and out in couple hours most of the time was getting paperwork together. In fact instead of signing with a ink pen i used a stylus on a iPad and paperwork was printed out while i was in with the finance manager. No pressure from my sales man at all. I like going to different dealers and looking at vehicles. I’m 65 years old so buying a vehicle isn’t nothing new to me so i i don’t fall for any of the dealers sales tactics.

Time to do a little fact checking. Either you were 16 in 1971 or you are 65. Are you one of those people who gets paid to post? I'm 64 and I was 16 in 1970. No way are you older than me and yet you turned 16 a year after I did.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:32 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Time to do a little fact checking. Either you were 16 in 1971 or you are 65. Are you one of those people who gets paid to post? I'm 64 and I was 16 in 1970. No way are you older than me and yet you turned 16 a year after I did.
Ok you beat me by a year you were born in 1954 and me in 1955 i hit the wrong number when posting i hit the 5 instead of the 3 sorry my bad.lol lol but I’m still old enough though I’ll be 64 this April. I’ve been around the automotive industry my whole life living in metro Detroit, I’ve worked on the assembly line at Chrysler, my father retired from GM, i have friends that work at Ford. I know people who work at Detroit Diesel Corporation, and American Axle. I live in the center of the auto world we’re every automaker in the world has a engineering office here because of the auto suppliers here in metro Detroit.

Last edited by easy62; 11-07-2018 at 04:42 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 05:32 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Anyone else really dislike this? I remember in the past going to dealerships and either no salesperson came out when we drove up, or we told them "only looking" and they backed away...
If you want to get a glimpse into the way a car dealership operates, go here:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

Better yet, listen to the 129 Cars podcast. Eye-opening look at how dealerships sell cars. I knew that dealerships didn't usually make a lot money on new cars, but by the end of the month, this Jeep dealership was doing ANYTHING it could to make their sales goal (and collect the bonus), including selling cars at a significant loss.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive