Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,145,108 times

Advertisements

The trend is away with sedans, and more SUVs.
When the trend goes back to El caminos, the UTES might have a chance here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,755,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why have utes had such spotty records in the US? Especially now with our population shifting heavily towards cities and suburbs where they would be more practical utility vehicles than even the smaller pickups, why haven't utes become more popular?
Where 'utes used to be popular, they are no longer. Even the Australians are rapidly moving from buying utes to mid sized pickups like the Ranger and HiLux. Both the Holden Commodore and the Ford Falcon utes are basically dead. And if you want real work to get done you buy a Land Cruiser 70.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,680,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
UTE’s aren’t meant to compare to full-suzed trucks.

They’re meant for people like me: live and work in a city, only ever tow a small recreational atv/camper/jetski/boat, hunt/camp/fish, occasional furniture moves, home depot runs, etc.

If you’re working regularly with your vehicle with large loads, you need a truck or van, that goes without saying.
Thats EVERYBODY I know!!

I think maybe because utes would be too much competition for the big truck guys!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM

574 posts, read 384,911 times
I wish Subaru brought back the Baja... Only real comparison to a UTE that i can see on the market currently is the ridgeline, but even then

Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,988,315 times
"The last one in our market, the Subaru Baja, sold terribly."
that's why it was the last one.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 PM

19,099 posts, read 14,072,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"The last one in our market, the Subaru Baja, sold terribly."
that's why it was the last one.
Baja had other issues though which may have doomed it from the start. The main one being that it was based on a platform that was being replaced. They never updated the Baja to the next gen Outback.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,320,501 times
I still use a USA made Ute... 50 mpg since 1980. (on free fuel)

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0-caddy-rf.jpg

It is not my favorite vehicle, but neither are the Utes I use in NZ and AU.

They serve their purpose for many.
My dad always drove El Caminos (5 western states every week... distributor of Farm Equip)

Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,821,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Us 'Merikans are all big, tall fat b-tards and don't want those puny little 3rd World toys. (Plus, all the safety crud required in the US would kill most small Utes. Blame the NTSB!)

I'd kinda like a Maloo, however. Those look cool as fark!
Exactly this. It seems every dumbass (in Las Vegas at least) needs to drive a huge truck, with very poor mpg, that they don't even use for work purposes.

It comes down to common sense. For the most part, it is clearly lacking.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,464,653 times
[quote=OmegaSupreme;53607035]Exactly this. It seems every dumbass (in Las Vegas at least) needs to drive a huge truck, with very poor mpg, that they don't even use for work purposes.

It comes down to common sense. For the most part, it is clearly lacking.[/QUOTE

And you know what is best for people to spend their money on right. Americans like big pickups and SUVs not gocart utes.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:46 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,239,012 times
Americans don't even really buy wagons anymore ...even though there is a market for them.

Most people just get a regular SUV....a Ute is just too small and impractical for most Americans.

If you are okay with that size, then you can either get a hatchback, or a light pickup truck.
If you need more space, a full size truck or SUV does the trick.

There's just not a market in between from what I can tell...the "crossover" market flopped pretty decisively here.

Its morphed into the SUV market; there are three levels now - Small, Medium, Large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive