Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Why have utes had such spotty records in the US? Especially now with our population shifting heavily towards cities and suburbs where they would be more practical utility vehicles than even the smaller pickups, why haven't utes become more popular?

The last one in our market, the Subaru Baja, sold terribly. I own #895 out of only around 33,000 produced globally. Granted, Subaru faced other issues surrounding this vehicle, but they'd have made improvements had it sold well (and more manufacturers would have taken notice).

Just south of us in Mexico, utes are extremely popular. RAM has a mini down there which would be my ideal vehicle but of course we cannot have it. Ford sells utes all over the world - except here. Brazil and Australia are huge ute markets.

I'm desperate for a replacement for my Baja in the next few years. Just really hoping one becomes available of the many rumors on the market. Otherwise, I guess I'm stuck looking at the "midsized" pickups which are really the full-sized trucks of 20 years ago.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 07:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I restored a 1963 Ranchero in the early 2000s, then sold it and bought a 1972 El Camino SS, and later sold that and bought a Ford Ranger. They are still very popular with classic car enthusiasts, with many from the 60s-80s still on the road. They were a great compromise, being able to haul things, easier to park, but still have the performance of a car, or even muscle car. I think for the manufacturers the cost of developing another ute is not worth the cost/effort, with the 4-door pickup so popular now, with the additional advantage of seating for 5-6 rather than 2-3, and a good tow capacity. What would you suggest as the base for a new ute? They were all basically a station wagon with the top back cut off, and there are no more U.S. station wagons (just a few European models) to use as the platform. I think the last was the 2007 Ford Focus, which I guess would have made a nice little ute.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I restored a 1963 Ranchero in the early 2000s, then sold it and bought a 1972 El Camino SS, and later sold that and bought a Ford Ranger. They are still very popular with classic car enthusiasts, with many from the 60s-80s still on the road. They were a great compromise, being able to haul things, easier to park, but still have the performance of a car, or even muscle car. I think for the manufacturers the cost of developing another ute is not worth the cost/effort, with the 4-door pickup so popular now, with the additional advantage of seating for 5-6 rather than 2-3, and a good tow capacity. What would you suggest as the base for a new ute? They were all basically a station wagon with the top back cut off, and there are no more U.S. station wagons (just a few European models) to use as the platform. I think the last was the 2007 Ford Focus, which I guess would have made a nice little ute.
I'm no expert on vehicle "platforms", but wouldn't some of the mid-sized SUV's be perfect as a platform for a new UTE?

The Hyundai rumored Santa Cruz is supposed to be based on the new Santa Fe body. That vehicle has actually been built as a concept. There's a rumor surrounding the Ford Focus platform as well, which is obviously even smaller. Those are the two most likely to ever actually appear.

I'm just desperate for a replacement for the "perfect" vehicle I finally found, unfortunately 15 years after it was built and 12 after the last of the model.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm no expert on vehicle "platforms", but wouldn't some of the mid-sized SUV's be perfect as a platform for a new UTE?

The Hyundai rumored Santa Cruz is supposed to be based on the new Santa Fe body. That vehicle has actually been built as a concept. There's a rumor surrounding the Ford Focus platform as well, which is obviously even smaller. Those are the two most likely to ever actually appear.

I'm just desperate for a replacement for the "perfect" vehicle I finally found, unfortunately 15 years after it was built and 12 after the last of the model.
Doesn't Ford already have a Focus-based "pickup" outside the US?

I know Chevy has the Montana, which has a 1.4-1.8L engine and only ships with a manual transmission. Base trims start around $15,000 equivalent.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Personally, I use my Insight (hatch) to haul the same sorts of things others would use light duty trucks for.

Need to move SIXTEEN tires? No problem.

How about a stack of 8' roofing panels, while also holding several large bags of tools and groceries?

Or a plastic storage shed from Home Depot?

Best part is, it consistently delivers 60-80mpg, is reliable, has inexpensive parts, doesn't rust (not just an aluminum bed, but the whole thing is aluminum), and it even comes with a factory tonneau cover which is made of clear glass to go over the "bed"! When I want to move something like an engine block or bags of dirt, I just lay down a tarp.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm desperate for a replacement for my Baja in the next few years. Just really hoping one becomes available of the many rumors on the market. Otherwise, I guess I'm stuck looking at the "midsized" pickups which are really the full-sized trucks of 20 years ago.
Here you go...
Left Hand Utes USA
Bring money with the exception of the Chevy Tornado. That one might not cost too much.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,236,377 times
The problem of "utes" in the American market - in my opinion - is that they're not powerful enough for heavy industrial/agricultural use, but don't have the toughness factor that makes full-size trucks attractive to the mass market.

It probably doesn't help that the sleek curvy look of modern sedans is very much the opposite of the design approach typically found in the truck market. The 1980s Holden Ute Matchbox car was one of my favorites as a small kid though.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:07 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The problem of "utes" in the American market - in my opinion - is that they're not powerful enough for heavy industrial/agricultural use, but don't have the toughness factor that makes full-size trucks attractive to the mass market.
You'll have a very hard time convincing me that an HSV Maloo is not powerful enough.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You'll have a very hard time convincing me that an HSV Maloo is not powerful enough.

I am no expert on the Aussie vehicle market, so I had to look this one up. Based on what I see it looks like it's a performance car built for speed, not industrial use.

Its towing capacity is 3500 lbs from what I could see, and that's not a lot in comparison to Silverado, RAM and Co. It's also not enough for the purposes that full-size trucks are needed for in infrastructure construction and maintenance, heavy industry, cattle farming, ranching etc.

I have no doubt that it's a fun to drive vehicle, though it does come at a price point where you could buy a lot of very nice other cars, too.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM

UTE’s aren’t meant to compare to full-suzed trucks.

They’re meant for people like me: live and work in a city, only ever tow a small recreational atv/camper/jetski/boat, hunt/camp/fish, occasional furniture moves, home depot runs, etc.

If you’re working regularly with your vehicle with large loads, you need a truck or van, that goes without saying.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive