Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM

41 posts, read 36,837 times

Advertisements

I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and its in great condition. I've never had an issue with my car and take very good care of it. I'm right around 86,500 miles and I need to bring the car in for servicing. Every dealership in my city (Sacramento) said since the car is coming up on a milestone servicing, its best to do the 90K servicing at this time. However, the top tier servicing will cost me $950! I can opt to do the middle of the road servicing, but this will cost $650! I'm not working and need a more affordable option to service my car.

Does this servicing really cost this much for an almost 10 year old Elantra in great condition? This seems excessive to me. I took a screen shot of the recommended servicing from Hyundai's website. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
0 for 90K servicing???-hyundai.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
no, do it yourself.. if car drives fine and no odd sounds,/leaks then keep going

all those replace X or rotate tires, you should be doing at each oil change/each year to begin with

why pay to inspect brakes, until you hear the sound/feel it not stopping, why replace them early? you dont save money throwing serviceable brake pads away because they arent new. paying someone to tell you they are low, ask them how many more miles you can use them and they wont tell you. knowing they are low might give you chance to save up money to replace it later, but if you have the funds, it wont be a "surprise" either. cars are over built, nothing just stops working when it hits a time/mile limit. if it did, it would be a design flaw and would fail as often brand new as used

im lazy and pay someone to change oil, they do most of those inspections since they got car up overhead already, your car is probably inspected too if you take car to shop for oil changes

Old 11-28-2018, 03:33 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,559,982 times
Most of that bill is likely the timing belt. Not the easiest job to do in general, but one you want to have done if the manual suggests it be done at that mileage. Likely an inference engine, meaning if the belt breaks it takes the engine with it. Also not something the inexperienced want to take on. If you get the timing wrong with installing the new one at all, it'll likely destroy the engine as well. Lexus is like this, and $900 is a bargain on those cars.

I tend to go for cars with timing chains instead of belts. A little noisier engine, but chains tend to last much longer.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:36 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Most of that bill is likely the timing belt. Not the easiest job to do in general, but one you want to have done if the manual suggests it be done at that mileage. Likely an inference engine, meaning if the belt breaks it takes the engine with it. Also not something the inexperienced want to take on. If you get the timing wrong with installing the new one at all, it'll likely destroy the engine as well. Lexus is like this, and $900 is a bargain on those cars.

I tend to go for cars with timing chains instead of belts. A little noisier engine, but chains tend to last much longer.

What he said. You may very well get a better deal from an independent shop than a dealer though.

Don't just keep driving the car as the belt will break sooner or later, as said destroying the engine, for most practical purposes.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaboogie View Post
I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and its in great condition. I've never had an issue with my car and take very good care of it. I'm right around 86,500 miles and I need to bring the car in for servicing. Every dealership in my city (Sacramento) said since the car is coming up on a milestone servicing, its best to do the 90K servicing at this time. However, the top tier servicing will cost me $950! I can opt to do the middle of the road servicing, but this will cost $650! I'm not working and need a more affordable option to service my car.

Does this servicing really cost this much for an almost 10 year old Elantra in great condition? This seems excessive to me. I took a screen shot of the recommended servicing from Hyundai's website. TIA.
The reason it costs $950 is the next to last item... replace timing belt.
When the timing belt is replaced, the water pump should also be replaced.

https://naijadriva.wordpress.com/201...rence-engines/

You have an interference engine. Big repair bill if the belt breaks.
My 66K mile Eclipse will need a timing belt in late '19 / early '20's.
It's not going anywhere near a dealer, my indy mechanic will be handling this job.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM

949 posts, read 573,173 times
I did a general search and found numerous coupons at dealerships in your area for the same services you are needing.
Yes, the things that are up to be replaced are crucial, but that is a kinda steep price.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

Yep. I'll guarantee that timing belt is probably $700 of the $950. Toss in another $200 for the coolant change and everything else on that list, I get done at my dealer for $49.99 as part of a normal oil change.

As for the engine being interference.. Smart to say it probably is, because it seems most of them are, and assuming it is.. that's less damage potential than assuming it isn't.

But, I found this page and bookmarked it.

Interference Engines - The Complete List - Your Car Angel

A touch out of date, being from 2014, but.. Take a look at Hyundai there and.. I'd agree it's an interference engine. But, it's a decent reference to fall back on.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
The "inspects" probably don't add up to $100, but I'd decline all those you feel comfortable doing yourself if they want more than about $50, net. Otherwise, a professional eye all over the wear and service points on an older car can be valuable in forestalling problems.

The timing belt is probably most of it. Many newer OHC engines are "interference" type, meaning that if the timing belt breaks, the pistons and extended valves will collide, which is between major rebuild and new-engine level repair.

I would get a price on the timing belt replacement - with such recommended replacements as tensioners and guide rollers, and maybe the water pump, if it's at the bottom of that service process - from multiple shops including qualified independents. Do the other replacements yourself and get the filters from NAPA or online. Let someone do the full inspection if it's free to cheap. Skip the coolant replacement; get an oil change wherever it's cost-effective.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:07 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
That is a LOT of inspecting for 950-bucks.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:26 PM

41 posts, read 36,837 times
Thank you for the responses, these are very helpful. So I'm not handy and cannot do any maintenance myself, sadly. So would you all recommend just finding a reputable mechanic to do the work? I usually take the car to the dealer for servicing, so it would stay qualified under the 10 year/100,000 mile Hyundai warranty. But I cannot afford to do this servicing at a $950 price point. How would I find a reputable mechanic to get this servicing done? Look on Yelp? Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive