Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM

165 posts, read 122,357 times

Advertisements

So I have a birthday coming up in a couple weeks. Originally I was going to ask for a Food Saver. And then I saw some major moronery on the road yesterday. My state is pretty known for their idiot drivers, and I honestly can't contest that. Living here all my nearly 32 years of my life, I've seen every moronic thing on the road. Then comes yesterday. I was towing my little Harbor Freight utility trailer with Christmas tree in tow and someone who clearly needed to be somewhere important was tailgating me and driving super aggressively. The idiot then passed me crossing the double yellow lines putting the people in the opposing lane at risk and started tailgating and doing the same thing to the person in front of me. Then I thought I wish I had a dash cam to document and report this person, because quite frankly, this person should not be allowed behind the wheel. Had this person caused an accident, I would have proof to the cop. And this kind of stuff happens all the time and I want proof if one of these morons hits me or hits someone else so they can't lie their way out of it.

So, sorry about the long rant but I want to see what dash cams some of you have used and some recommendations. My only requirements is it records audio, small (since I drive a Jeep and windshield real estate is kinda small ) and has good enough resolution to get a license plate if I'm close enough. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Cams is covered in another thread, do a search, and I posted to it recently.

Costco has the Cobra dual on sale for $129

Old 12-02-2018, 03:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Avoid the $20 Walmart special. Any decent camera will start at around $80 to $100. Also, use a high endurance SD card. They are designed for the heavy duty use that a dash cam imposes.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:46 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
I have a Thinkware F770 with cameras front and rear. Worth every penny as a deterrent to my own bad habits.

Well, most of the time.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
How funny, I spent few hours shopping for one today. A gift for a friend, Xmas.
Nothing fancy, but hope it will perform decent.
I think I will decide on this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JT3698...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Don't want rear cam. Too much headache with the wiring. Friend is an older woman.

Cobra dual? Check the reviews...

Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Buy a Blackvue or Thinkware. Those use capacitors rather than batteries which can't handle the heat of a car. They also have parking mode if you wire them to permanent power

Old 12-04-2018, 08:10 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default For Dash Cams also called Mirror DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBeaky View Post
So I have a birthday coming up in a couple weeks. Originally I was going to ask for a Food Saver. And then I saw some major moronery on the road yesterday. My state is pretty known for their idiot drivers, and I honestly can't contest that. Living here all my nearly 32 years of my life, I've seen every moronic thing on the road. Then comes yesterday. I was towing my little Harbor Freight utility trailer with Christmas tree in tow and someone who clearly needed to be somewhere important was tailgating me and driving super aggressively. The idiot then passed me crossing the double yellow lines putting the people in the opposing lane at risk and started tailgating and doing the same thing to the person in front of me. Then I thought I wish I had a dash cam to document and report this person, because quite frankly, this person should not be allowed behind the wheel. Had this person caused an accident, I would have proof to the cop. And this kind of stuff happens all the time and I want proof if one of these morons hits me or hits someone else so they can't lie their way out of it.

So, sorry about the long rant but I want to see what dash cams some of you have used and some recommendations. My only requirements is it records audio, small (since I drive a Jeep and windshield real estate is kinda small ) and has good enough resolution to get a license plate if I'm close enough. Thanks

Dash Cams are also called (Mirror DVR) exist on ebay for under 20 dollars and they work well. You have to also buy a memory chip similar to a cell phone to provide storage for what you are recording, I use a 32g chip which costs less the 20 dollars again on ebay. The Mirror DVR as I like to call them are easy to work with and will start recording the minute you start your car. The dash cam or mirror DVR will then shut off when you turn off your car. Totally automatic. The mirror cam records in 5 minute segments and when your memory card is full it will erase previous 5 minute segments automatically making room to continually have to most current road recording. This guarantees that the last info in the mirror cam is the most current which is what you would want. Setup is an important part of owning a mirror dash cam that is making sure you set the correct date and time originally which is stamped on each film segment thereafter.
Mirror DVR,s they are cheap they work well and simply plug into your 12v power supply making them a 5 minute install. The existing recordings can be retrieved and saved via any computer using the USB port and cable supplied with the Mirror DVR. Mirror DVR's set them and forget them and have current film of your driving experience. On (you-tube) you can see lots of people setting up their new mirror cams and lots of film of their driving experiences as well.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
For $40-60, the best dash cams ive come across with 1080p and not hard to use and also actually reliable, were the Pruveeo Brands like the D700 that goes over your rear view mirror and ive heard the Spytech GW1's are pretty good as ell for the price.

At the end of the day, even the cheapest dashcam is better than no dashcam at all

Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Buy a Blackvue or Thinkware. Those use capacitors rather than batteries which can't handle the heat of a car. They also have parking mode if you wire them to permanent power
I have concerns about that living in the desert and literally, for the first time in my life, I added the little protection package to the purchase when I purchased the Thinkware on Amazon. My daily driver is rarely parked in open sunshine but the unit becomes too hot to even touch when it does. I always try to park with the car pointed away from the sun too.

It was only a few dollars and hopefully, in a few years, I can report that it was a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive