Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:08 PM

171 posts, read 142,127 times

Advertisements

I have a 2014 Mazda which is known for having thin paint. It is a metallic type paint. These imperfections were already there when I bought the car. I bought it cause I got a good price on it, perfect mechanical condition except for some minor cosmetic imperfections like these. I don't know if there were cause by idiots hitting the doors, but they are mainly on the doors.

But I don't think so, is almost as if the paint is bubbling up there and failing, or could it be caused by rock chips that hit these spots and caused the paint to fail like that

They have weird chips which wouldn't match a door ding, im pretty sure they were caused by rock chips

How to fix this, I guess that spot has to be filled in and repainted by a shop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
You can overfill it with the same color touch up paint to the point where it’s a raised bump made of os8nt. Than take 5000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it until the raised portion is evenwithbthe old paint surface. Just keep the sandpaper really really wet and spray with a spray bottle also as you sand.
Once you’re even then buff it.

Repeat using clear coat instead of paint.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can overfill it with the same color touch up paint to the point where it’s a raised bump made of os8nt. Than take 5000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it until the raised portion is evenwithbthe old paint surface. Just keep the sandpaper really really wet and spray with a spray bottle also as you sand.

I'm too afraid to try and mess up lol one of my biggest fear is wet sanding, which results in a haze, and the polish not being able to restore the shine, or restore it, but the haze return after a while.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:

I do this for door dings, and with the factory touch up paint from the dealer or online the color is on one end, clear on the other. Even if you don’t sand it will look better and save it from rusting. Already I have done 2-3 on my 2017 truck. People in parking lots and garages are careless.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I'm too afraid to try and mess up lol one of my biggest fear is wet sanding, which results in a haze, and the polish not being able to restore the shine, or restore it, but the haze return after a while.
Really wet 5000 grit takes a tiny tiny amount of paint away. You can go even finer in grit. The highervthe grit the less material is removed.

You can always go to the junkyard and pick up a small piece of body from a junk car and practice. The touch up paint is really thick paint

Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Really wet 5000 grit takes a tiny tiny amount of paint away. You can go even finer in grit. The highervthe grit the less material is removed.

You can always go to the junkyard and pick up a small piece of body from a junk car and practice. The touch up paint is really thick paint
Hers an idea how about a body shop you know the place we’re they fix auto body dings and paint if you want it to look right. That’s on area i don’t mess with because it will be visible if not done right i let the pros do it they have the right paint and spray guns.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Hers an idea how about a body shop you know the place we’re they fix auto body dings and paint if you want it to look right. That’s on area i don’t mess with because it will be visible if not done right i let the pros do it they have the right paint and spray guns.
Yeah but who knows how they want probably hundreds

Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
A body shop for rock chips? OK, if you have absolutely nothing else to do with your money.

If, on the other hand, you like most of us have a finite supply of money and time, I suggest you get the little tube of touch up paint at the dealer; fill in the chips the best you're able; and then stop doing close-up inspections of the paint on your 5 year old car. The main thing is to try to slow the development of surface rust at the rock chips.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post

Then take it to a pro and have it done. The cost shouldn't be much and you said you are in the car right, so you have some room.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:37 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
https://www.google.com/search?source...30.8vql4ygv6BY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive