Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m so happy you know what people pay for a vehicle payment because GM employees get a discount. Boy i love it that you think you know everything.
I worked at the Ford Truck Plant in Norfolk Va. built F150's. Closed now. The first week I was in orientation. There was a guy in the class, the 2nd or 3rd day he went out and bought a new mustang. Huge discounts. To the point you got it for what the dealer just down the street paid it for. Unfortunately, several months before I bought a new Toyota 4x4 pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 12:55 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
I’m so happy you know what people pay for a vehicle payment because GM employees get a discount. Boy i love it that you think you know everything.
Yeah - I was a GM employee for many years. Ford too. So I do know what they pay on the Plans. Thanks though.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Yeah - I was a GM employee for many years. Ford too. So I do know what they pay on the Plans. Thanks though.
So why you say they have a $800 vehicle payment just because you do or did don’t mean others do, why you say things like that.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:37 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Yeah, actually, a 72-month on $65k would be $990.

So at the $50k employee price, the laid-off loyalist needs only to figure out where to come up with $760 a month. Whew. I bet they thought they were all in trouble...

Old 12-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yeah, actually, a 72-month on $65k would be $990.

So at the $50k employee price, the laid-off loyalist needs only to figure out where to come up with $760 a month. Whew. I bet they thought they were all in trouble...
And you know how much a person puts down on a vehicle and what they pay a month right I’m glad you have all the answers. I forgot not everyone is as smart as you and what business is it of yours anyway you’re not paying it are you.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
And you know how much a person puts down on a vehicle and what they pay a month right I’m glad you have all the answers. I forgot not everyone is as smart as you and what business is it of yours anyway you’re not paying it are you.
Yes, of course, because I didn't work on a Detroit line for 30 years I can't possibly do math... either.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Yes, of course, because I didn't work on a Detroit line for 30 years I can't possibly do math... either.
Amen. I'm guessing it is hitting pretty close to home for some folks. Every day I worked at GM and Ford I saw plenty of folks that lived paycheck to paycheck but had a new high end truck or SUV, a nice boat, a camper or trailer, etc. I always felt they were crazy given every day was uncertain. I bought none of that because I knew at some point its was all going to crash down.

No denying the pain though.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
So again it’s none of your business is it I guess you love to see people in misery do you get off on other peoples personal business or finances.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM

685 posts, read 768,669 times
It's still a sad situation, regardless of which jobs are lost. Most of the "white-collar" folks are also pawns, just trying to support their families.

And I wonder if ceding cars to the foreigners will haunt the domestics, particularly if the economy declines. I've always owned at least one American mid-size and this may force me to consider one of the Asian/Euro companies.

Quote:
Interest rates, down payments, trade-ins, and taxes are all variable.

But, for the broader point, 50k is still absurd for a vehicle. I often see folks who make significantly less than GMers paying for such vehicles. I suppose they've traded-in their fiscal security and retirement.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
So as long as the blue-collar jobs are saved, 11,000 cut from the office side are just collateral damage?

That 11k is on the light side, don't forget close to 90% of the contract workers have been laid off. Those weren't talked about in the media. And somehow the media has added the 4500 from plant closings into the original 14,000 that GM stated were being offered severances. They are completely separate.

14,000 were offered voluntary severance packages. Not all took them so, the next month will be involuntary severances.
90% reduction of the contract staff...I'm guessing close to 5,000 globally.
Then the plant closings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive