Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 01:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times

Advertisements

Having heard from a high executive in one of the manufacturers.
Daily sales figures have dropped dramatically.

Combine this with COVID-19.
Combine this with the massive drop in the stock market.
Loss of savings. 401K, mutual funds and other types of investments.

Depression or Recession.
People are not buying new cars, Suv's, trucks, etc. Yes, there are some exceptions. There are always some with recession proof jobs.

Some manufacturers have already closed manufacturing plants. Some state for the health of the workers. But - also to cut excess inventory.

Although all recessions are not the same. There are some common points.

First being that people do not spend money that they do not have nor future income that they may not get.

New vehicle sales are tanking - currently.

When will the substantial rebates and incentives come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:39 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I really hope the auto execs are worried more about the workers and their families than they are when the substantial rebates and incentives come into play.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:56 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I really hope the auto execs are worried more about the workers and their families than they are when the substantial rebates and incentives come into play.

Did they ever? That'd be the first one.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:58 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
This is why you would NEVER make it as an auto exec.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
The purpose of a corporate executive is to worry about returns to the shareholders. Everything else is secondary. That doesn't mean that basic considerations of human-life and wellbeing are somehow trivial or irrelevant. But it does mean, that an executive must foremost look after the health of the company. True... dead consumers don't buy cars. But this simply means that concern for the consumer, is foremost driven by concern that the consumer will be buying cars.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
you cant help the workers and families if you dont have revenue coming in.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:42 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you cant help the workers and families if you dont have revenue coming in.
Its not just Auto industry in that boat. I just cant imagine anyone going car shopping right now lol

Old 03-20-2020, 09:46 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Its not just Auto industry in that boat. I just cant imagine anyone going car shopping right now lol
I know, BUT...........last fall, my wife started thinking about getting a new car. The one she had was a good runner, didn't have a huge amount of miles on it, but was 11 years old. We went shopping, and saw something that appealed to her. However, the few cars the dealer had in stock didn't appeal to us, either because of color or options.

The dealer said it wouldn't be a problem to order one, but it would take 12-14 weeks to come in. It wasn't an issue for us to wait, so mid-December we placed an order, thinking it would arrive after the snow had ended, for the season. All went well, and we picked up the car 2.5 weeks ago. A little earlier than expected, but no big deal.......................then the bottom of the damned stock market fell out.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
It would be a perfect time to walk in with cash. Everyone wants cash now

Old 03-20-2020, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
There are those who may actually benefit financially from this crisis, with overtime. Such as supermarket staff, some warehouse workers, medical people, EMTs. Then there are those who are not affected by layoffs or loss of revenue in key or critical functions such as police, fire, and many city/state/county workers, and public utilities. For them, with consistent or better incomes, this would be a great time to buy a new vehicle. Better yet, in a few weeks when the dealers are really hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive