Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,657,810 times

Advertisements

As I was looking around the auto classifieds, I noticed a couple cars and trucks that had full windshield tinted, and they had 5% tint on the whole car. I cant imagine how they get away with this, I remember when I was younger I was pulled over for speeding, and the cop pulled out his little light measuring device for the windows, this was my lowrider s-10, and I believe the tint was 25%, so not even close to being 'limo dark'. ( I still had to pay a $10. fine for that), but did not have to remove it!!

Ive seen a handful of cars and trucks that had full windshield tinted, so I guess this is something they dont really enforce anymore.

I really think it depends on the type of car too, My s10 was a custom lowrider, so it attracted attention, large majority of the cars and trucks Ive seen with full windshield tint were customized. chances are, if you had a Honda accord, could probably get away with 5% all the way around!

I have heard that 5% is the lowest(darkest tint) that is available, but I remember talking to a guy awhile back that claimed you can buy window tint with any degree of light blocking (down to 1%) if you want to spend the money, although Ive never seen 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 AM

5,686 posts, read 5,924,836 times
Here in SC in can still come down so far on the front IF vehicle did not have the blue shading at the top from the factory, and it has to be 6" or less from the top. My son has this on his Challenger. Both his car and my Mustang are tinted on the side windows, his darker than mine, but mine is legal so his is. Not sure what mine is, I think 20%, don't recall what the man said now.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:05 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,838,447 times
The tint laws vary quite a bit from state to state, and I'm guessing their enforcement varies a lot too.
There's many sites on the internet that show the laws.
But one example, in NC, the mandatory safety inspection includes actually testing any windshield tint, (and charges and extra $10). You can't get your annual registration renewal until you pass.

Note: it may be possible to have a glass-film applied that's legal. I have all my glass tinted with a film that blocks the heat from sunlight (80%!), but only blocks a bit of visible light, and is fully legal in that respect. It's astonishingly effective in when I leave my car out in those hot sunny southern day.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:55 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,535,356 times
https://tintlaws.com/

Old 12-23-2018, 09:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,657,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The tint laws vary quite a bit from state to state, and I'm guessing their enforcement varies a lot too.
There's many sites on the internet that show the laws.
But one example, in NC, the mandatory safety inspection includes actually testing any windshield tint, (and charges and extra $10). You can't get your annual registration renewal until you pass.

Note: it may be possible to have a glass-film applied that's legal. I have all my glass tinted with a film that blocks the heat from sunlight (80%!), but only blocks a bit of visible light, and is fully legal in that respect. It's astonishingly effective in when I leave my car out in those hot sunny southern day.
Even in states where it is checked and illegal, the laws do not have much bite to them, $10 extra is not a big deal, I would pay this in order to keep my dark tint.

When I got cited for my tint, I only had to pay the fine, they didnt make me remove it, so that was worth it imo, Ive had dark tint on every vehicle since and never been cited for it again.

I may look into getting my full windshield done, the sun glare is incredibly bright certain time of day, I will happily pay the $10 if it means I can keep my full windshield tinted dark.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:41 AM

19,111 posts, read 27,710,534 times
I owned several cars with FULL glass tint. Windshield included. Windshield was simply heat retention, it was actually more transparent to light than side doors legal tint.

Was pulled over several times, never had an issue.

Tint laws - and police tolerance - varies from state to state. That's the bottom line. Tint people will always tell you - hey, don't do this or that, it's not gonna fly. Reason being, tint removal is VERY tedious process, even when paid for. They'd rather not go through that.
What owners do on their own - that's between them and police.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:29 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,794,043 times
I don't know what the laws are here, but I'd guess 80% of the passenger vehicles have aftermarket tinting, with the majority of it being what I'd call blackout. Between the aftermarket stuff everywhere and the standard tinting on larger vehicles like minivans and SUVs, it's unusual to see an untinted car, and those are usually beaters. Local discussions of car buying and selling put as much emphasis on "having" to get a choice tinted as "having" to put new tires or brakes on it.

It's absurd to me, given that we have moderate summer temps. I suspect most of this tinting exceeds legal limits, but obviously LE doesn't care.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:56 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,164,952 times
this tint regulation is all bs anyways. ok, the front windshield should not be tinted. and 5 o/o is way too dark. this tint regulation is to make an extra tax for the gobermint .

And for some BS officer safety . Another poor excuse for the cops to use to fxxx with you, the little guy. 50 o/o should be the limit all around. Bad guys dont always tint their cars. Anyone can put on a shirt and tie, and drive a plain jane Crown vic to do the bad boy business.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,794,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
And for some BS officer safety . Another poor excuse for the cops to use to fxxx with you, the little guy.
Waaah. Do a few traffic stops, little man, and then come back to talk to us about LE safety.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:23 PM

155 posts, read 126,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Waaah. Do a few traffic stops, little man, and then come back to talk to us about LE safety.
Call for backup....

EDIT: While I will concede there are some psychos out there, please don't try to tell me you can't radio for backup before even approaching a vehicle you deem "suspicious" or makes you scares. Or for a search refusal. Or the whole force.

You have bulletproof vests, multiple weapons, tasers.. if anything, motorists are afraid of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive