Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times

Advertisements

6 pages and growing people are going to do what they want period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I'm going to disagree with a few posts on here . . .

While visiting Florida a few years ago, I arrived at a Large Self-Serve Gas Station about 15 minutes after a huge Fire / Explosion.

The devastation was horrific. It looked more like a "Bomb Site" rather than a place to refuel. The station as well as a few vehicles were completely destroyed plus numerous severe personal injuries. A memory that will last for decades.

That evening and for the next week or so, the local TV News reports were plain and simple . . . a driver was smoking while refueling his vehicle.

Another example of Stupidity and Arrogance . . . "The rules do not apply to me."
TV News and particularly local TV News offices are full of idiots that get more about a story wrong than they do correct. Every single story that I have had personal first hand, I was there, knowledge on was in some way reported incorrectly on the local news and then of course the idiots writing the story for the paper just copied the incorrect information from the local news story.

My point of opening with that statement is I will guarantee you there is more to the story and the local news media was just trying to make a dramatic headline to get people to tune in, that's what they do. The likelihood that someone got out of their car smoking and started pumping gas and it ignited the vapor causing the huge fire is very very small, almost impossible. What most likely happened is some idiot got out, started pumping gas and locked the handle on and then proceeded to pull out a cigarette and a lighter. The flame from the lighter is almost certainly what ignited the vapors and started the fire.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
TV News and particularly local TV News offices are full of idiots that get more about a story wrong than they do correct. Every single story that I have had personal first hand, I was there, knowledge on was in some way reported incorrectly on the local news and then of course the idiots writing the story for the paper just copied the incorrect information from the local news story.

My point of opening with that statement is I will guarantee you there is more to the story and the local news media was just trying to make a dramatic headline to get people to tune in, that's what they do. The likelihood that someone got out of their car smoking and started pumping gas and it ignited the vapor causing the huge fire is very very small, almost impossible. What most likely happened is some idiot got out, started pumping gas and locked the handle on and then proceeded to pull out a cigarette and a lighter. The flame from the lighter is almost certainly what ignited the vapors and started the fire.
But it was still caused because the idiot decided to smoke at the pump, isn’t it?

Old 01-15-2019, 02:05 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The cell phone while pumping gas is an urban myth. The cell phone would have to create an ignition spark to ignite the fuel vapor. When was the last time you saw people walking around with their cell phones throwing sparks? It would look like kids playing with sparklers at night if there was any credible foundation for this myth. It just does not happen.
samsung note 7.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Why tempt fate. Is your life that hectic. Turn the car off, thats just the safe thing to do, nothing to do with filling up. Dont smoke, and put the phone down for a minute or two. When things go wrong, Smile, they make good YouTube videos.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do it simply because the sign asks me to and usually even says "please" first. Is it that much effort to turn it off and back on? Idling just pollutes the air more anyway.

I usually turn it off just so people don't freak out but if it's a 100 plus degrees outside and my partner is in the car I'm leaving it running so the AC can run.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Why tempt fate. Is your life that hectic. Turn the car off, thats just the safe thing to do, nothing to do with filling up. Dont smoke, and put the phone down for a minute or two. When things go wrong, Smile, they make good YouTube videos.

The safer thing to do is just stay home and then you won't have to fill up at all.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The safer thing to do is just stay home and then you won't have to fill up at all.
You might have to depending if it is an odd or even day...

Old 01-15-2019, 06:10 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You might have to depending if it is an odd or even day...
We won’t go back that way again to get gas people us early baby boomers know what I’m talking about.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Gas fumes are incredibly dangerous.
Some people are clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive