Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 03:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times

Advertisements

When you test drive a car you are thinking of buying, what are you loooking for? Features? Comfort? Ease/convenience? Radio? Showiness? What are deal breakers? How long do you have to drive it? I'm talking about the actual drive, not kicking the tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 05:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
I’m 6’2” with broad shoulders. My #1 thing is “Do I fit in it?”

I normally heavily research cars before I get to a test drive. The test drive is more to confirm that reality matches my research.

Unless you’re trying a new model, I find it useful to test drive a used one with a bunch of miles on it.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:51 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Mmmm... no vehicle is great on all points, but it's got to meet this bar... I am big on function over flash...

- Decent looks outside
- Good visibility in every direction from inside
- Good ergonomics
- Sensible, easy to operate controls
- Sufficient room front and back for a 6-footer
- Decent sized trunk or rear cargo area
- Both handling and braking inspire confidence
- Enough power that acceleration isn't a concern
- Reasonably comfortable and well-controlled ride
- Fairly quiet on the highway
- Comfortable seats

Old 02-03-2021, 07:40 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
There's a lot--almost everything important--you can learn by doing research, but you can't find out how you feel about comfort, ergonomics, visibility, etc.

One time a test drive changed my mind. My Plymouth Grand Voyager had been totaled and I didn't need a car that big, so I was thinking of a Volvo wagon. I liked everything about it, except that I didn't love it when I drove it. I just didn't even like the feel of being in it, and that was on a short drive. I wound up in a SAAB 9000, which was a great car for me.

This did make me wonder, though, what a test drive is really for, so I found a couple of articles that seem useful.

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/09/52757...e-a-test-drive

https://www.consumerreports.org/buyi...ke-an-old-pro/

Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Before going to the dealership, the research is on horsepower, reliability ratings, and performance statistics. Once there, first there is appearance and color, if that's not right I move on. Then it's the comfort of the seats, leg and head room, layout of dash and instruments. If all of that is good, then time to test drive. That starts with layout/fit of pedals, steering wheel, and visibility. Then power to merge, power to pass, shifting, sound, braking and handling around the corners. If all that is good, then the less important features like storage space, sound of stereo, speed of windows up and down, heated mirrors, and other amenities.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 02-03-2021 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-03-2021, 07:57 AM

6,354 posts, read 2,905,161 times
Steering, brakes, engine, transmission. If they all work and the price is right. I didn't check the CD player on the Kia I bought in 2019. It doesn't work. I have lots of CDs. Next time I will check the CD player.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:58 AM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
My whole intention is to always buy a faster vehicle then my prior one. When I used to go test drive any vehicle parked on my Porsche dealers outside area via sales friend allowing this, you figure out quickly what vehicles you prefer. 911 in all forms from S up can’t be beat. Turbo S version was off the charts best car I’ve ever driven, with a GT4 a close second. On test drives (I did this when I purchased my current vehicle from them) I drive freeways until oil temp gets to 185+ Then I use them to what they’re designed to do. You know with 100 ft of driving a vehicle if it’s the right one or not. I was not impressed with the GTR I drove.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Steering, brakes, engine, transmission. If they all work and the price is right. I didn't check the CD player on the Kia I bought in 2019. It doesn't work. I have lots of CDs. Next time I will check the CD player.
If CD Player is such a big deal, you'll gonna have a problem finding new cars that have them.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:57 AM

13,636 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Noises, rattles, broken bits, smoke from anywhere, leaks, bits that don't work, car pulling to one side while braking, engine firing on all cylinders, gears working, clutch good, and I need to be able to see out of the windows too.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:31 AM

6,465 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m 6’2” with broad shoulders. My #1 thing is “Do I fit in it?”

I normally heavily research cars before I get to a test drive. The test drive is more to confirm that reality matches my research.

Unless you’re trying a new model, I find it useful to test drive a used one with a bunch of miles on it.
I'm that big, too, so it's a concern for me. And I also agree with the rest of the post, but also including, "will it fit in my garage".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive