Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:01 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times

Advertisements

people put black foil on cars. Is there a chrome foil too? how do you cut it into size? who sells there, or what is it called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:38 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
people put black foil on cars. Is there a chrome foil too? how do you cut it into size? who sells there, or what is it called?
Plumbing and heating contractors use a high shine thin metal tape for duct work. Sticks and looks better than ordinary duct tape. Any home that has a hot air system - this thin metal tape is used to cover any seams in the duct work.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:17 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Brutal location for anything that relies on "sticky" to keep it on place. I would think the fail factor would be quite high.

I know nothing about "chroming", but if this is really important to you, how about having the grill chromed by a professional? Product will likely be good, and you won't risk junking up a new car with a failed sticky tape chrome-like product.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Brutal location for anything that relies on "sticky" to keep it on place. I would think the fail factor would be quite high.

I know nothing about "chroming", but if this is really important to you, how about having the grill chromed by a professional? Product will likely be good, and you won't risk junking up a new car with a failed sticky tape chrome-like product.
the original grille is plastic. It cannot be chrome plated, only painted. The issue is it comes as one piece of flat rim and the mesh grille, I wanted the grille part to remain black.

Maybe I can get or make some chrome plated/painted parts that can be screwed or tied to the grille.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
the original grille is plastic. It cannot be chrome plated, only painted. The issue is it comes as one piece of flat rim and the mesh grille, I wanted the grille part to remain black.

Maybe I can get or make some chrome plated/painted parts that can be screwed or tied to the grille.
The problem is still to get the result to look smooth and integrated and original, instead of some Home Depot aluminum riveted on or whatever.

I suggest the easiest way to get there is to remove the grille, scrub it thoroughly to remove all dirt and grime and residue, then mask off the mesh area and any part "behind" the bezel you want silver, and use Krylon primer for plastics followed by a chrome-silver paint. With some care, that will give a factory-like finish from a few feet away if not a perfect "chrome trim" look when inspected closely. A few coats of good gloss clearcoat would seal the fragile chrome paint and give it some longevity.

This will NOT tolerate gritty road conditions or hard scrubbing, though. It may look like complete crap in a matter of months from wear and tear. But I can't think of any way to get an OEM-durable chrome surface on plastic without a fitted, metal-based trim piece, which can't be just fudged up from bits and pieces and chrome tape.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, the process is "Vacuum Metallizing". The exercise of looking it up, understanding it, and finding someone who will do it, is left for the student.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM

sounds like there are lots of turns where this can go wrong.
All I want is some elegant chrome detail on the front of the car.
So far:
a) home made tape or painted...
b) get a bullitt (not billet) grille that has chrome rim, get the whole grille replaced, buy a chrome pony and attach it to it. ~ $600.
c) billet grille insert, from Trex for $500, or from APS/ebay for $75.
d) OEM "pony package" grille, but I could not find out the part number of where to order it. Probably $500...$1000.
e) 3d printed pony package style plastic insert painted chrome and attach to existing grille.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive