Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, and how do you think they boiled the water to get steam? Huh? Any ideas? We're all waiting for you to let us know.

Oh, yeah, maybe they set something on FIRE, like GASOLINE or DIESEL FUEL or COAL or PROPANE.

Are you aware that when you set something on FIRE, the products of combustion are water, carbon dioxide, and some stuff left over? And that as long as what you are setting on FIRE contains carbon, that's the way it is.

(OK, OK, I know, you can burn sodium, or magnesium, but those are not realistic energy sources for a whole host of reasons.)

You can choose to burn hydrogen, and you won't have any CO2 waste product. But how exactly do you expect to obtain the H2? You can do it by electrolysis, which requires vast quantities of electricity, which is generated by BURNING STUFF usually (oil, coal, natural gas), or by nuclear reactions (and CO2 looks positively benign compared to the waste products of that!) or, to some extent, by hydroelectric or geothermal generation. Or, you can use those evil petroleum products, and strip the hydrogen out of them by chemical reactions, which I bet require all kinds of "interesting" catalysts and intermediate processes that you probably wouldn't like to see on your dinner table.
My first guess was coal, my 2nd guess was diesel and last one was propane

Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Oh yeah, the only things needed to develop reliable cost effective steam cars would be the braking and avoiding freezing of the water. Yeah. Right.

You do realize that the gasoline engine has had tens of thousands of engineers working flat-out on its development for the last 130 years?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as "residential geothermal heating" except maybe in Iceland.

I know it's a heat pump but the industry commonly refers to it plainly as geothermal which of course leads to confusion as illustrated by Lucianao's post. Pick your argument with them.

Quote:
What might be referred to here, is the use of the relatively constant temperature of the earth a few feet below the surface as the heat sink and source for residential heat pumps. When it's 100F outside and you're trying to reject heat from the condenser to that, a dozen feet below the surface it's something like 55F, which is a much better temperature to reject heat to. Similarly, when it's 25F outside and you're trying to gain heat from that to boil refrigerant in the evaporator, a dozen feet below the surface it's something like 55F, and it's a lot easier to get heat from that.

I'm well aware of how it works, I've even given a explanation on my residential heating calculator which I might add is one of the most popular in the world.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
I can't believe what I see here sometimes.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, the only things needed to develop reliable cost effective steam cars would be the braking and avoiding freezing of the water. Yeah. Right.

You do realize that the gasoline engine has had tens of thousands of engineers working flat-out on its development for the last 130 years?
Ah yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
My first guess was coal....

I was actually joking about the coal. It would be very unsuitable for this. Take too long to get going and there is no way to turn it off other than letting it burn out.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Ah yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?
It made more sense than your initial idea which is completely nonsensical.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I can't believe what I see here sometimes.
Oh come on now, there is another thread about this and it went all well

I understand it would take advanced development for steam cars to become practical again, but the possibilities seem endless in the modern era

Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
It made more sense than your initial idea which is completely nonsensical.
Lol

Bashing my proposition instead of using that "intellegence" to help out, how cockingly nice

Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I was actually joking about the coal. It would be very unsuitable for this. Take too long to get going and there is no way to turn it off other than letting it burn out.
Fair enough

I am not saying steam cars have to be next thing shoved down "our throats" next, as if self driving cars don't already cause enough controversey

But I been wondering how the practicality could do in the modern world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive