Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times

Advertisements

Imagine how much rambling we could have avoided at least if we didn't have petrol-powered cars today and would have found a way to get hi tech steam cars

Is a win win, no electricity or petrol required

Today all you would need is to pour in a bottle of water into the tank/engine every 25,000 miles

I mean this is all hypothetical so try not to get all fuzzy over it, but just think how much tree huggers and environmentalists could have been satisfied

Of course there will still be complaints from other sectors, but at least our cars could have been safe.

No need to worry about emissions and no need to worry mining for those batteries

Old 02-10-2019, 11:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Imagine how much rambling we could have avoided at least if we didn't have petrol-powered cars today and would have found a way to get hi tech steam cars

Today all you would need is to pour in a bottle of water into the tank/engine every 25,000 miles

I mean this is all hypothetical so try not to get all fuzzy over it, but just think how much tree huggers and environmentalists could have been satisfied

Of course there will still be complaints from other sectors, but at least our cars could have been safe.

No need to worry about emissions and no need to worry mining for those batteries

Tree huggers are control freaks. They're just a subset of the many control freaks out there. Cure one complaint and they'll find something else to complain about.

That aside, how do you plan to heat the water to get it to turn into steam? And since the steam is turned into some type of motion, it needs to be replenished much more frequently than every 25,000 miles. People a whole lot smarter than you have figured out that steam power is not viable for personal or commercial vehicles.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Tree huggers are control freaks. They're just a subset of the many control freaks out there. Cure one complaint and they'll find something else to complain about.

That aside, how do you plan to heat the water to get it to turn into steam? And since the steam is turned into some type of motion, it needs to be replenished much more frequently than every 25,000 miles. People a whole lot smarter than you have figured out that steam power is not viable for personal or commercial vehicles.
I mean is a thought provoking enough question

"A whole lot smarter than me"

You missed the point dude, I am just asking this as to why couldn't we innovate the steam engine a bit better? If we could innovate modern ICE cars to the point where we now use "evaporation" systems and catholic converters, why couldn't we formulate new designs for the steam engine ?

And yes autocorrect keeps putting it at "catholic" so I am gonna leave it as it is

I mean if we wanna talk from a physics-based yeah they would be slower and would probably require more work to drive, but that's what I am saying, we humans are smart to the point where we could make anything come into reality.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Steam Locomotives were phased out by Diesel/Electric Locomotives because they are more efficient and make much more power and do not need to stop to load up with coal or water for their boilers

Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Steam Locomotives were phased out by Diesel/Electric Locomotives because they are more efficient and make much more power and do not need to stop to load up with coal or water for their boilers
Well I wonder where steam cars would be today

Let's be real the planet is already too doomed to change for ****, may as well speed up human extinction by letting all our air pollution take us, if we weren't so scared of the death today we would still be driving cars made before safety and emission regulations kicked in!

Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Well I wonder where steam cars would be today

Let's be real the planet is already too doomed to change for ****, may as well speed up human extinction by letting all our air pollution take us, if we weren't so scared of the death today we would still be driving cars made before safety and emission regulations kicked in!
the planet is not doomed at all it has been through some much worse things then we could even imagine.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:19 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:

Steam engines required coal, oil, or gas just as ICE do. It is not some magic bullet to save fuel or avoid emitting carbon dioxide!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:

You need something to heat the water to create steam, would be some type of fossil fuel or wood. A steam engine could never be as efficient as combustion engine in this application because it requires a lot of energy to bring the water up to temp and then when you shut it off it's wasted. You would also need both boiler section and a the steam engine, likely going to weigh much more than a combustion engine.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Global warming is not gonna make humans go extinct.
But all those cities along the coasts are gonna be $%&^*#.
And a few island nations are going to disappear.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,825,438 times
Quote:

Well steam cars is something I've been working on for about six years now. and you won't be getting 25k out of a tank of water. You would still need a battery, and I don't see it viable across the vehicle board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive