Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:12 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, don't work at Subaru, but have toured their plant and many other competitors. I have driven many different brands and test driven many types of vehicles. Subaru outperforms Jeep for the overall price in bad weather driving, which is where the vast majority of drivers operate vehicles- not on an off road scenario like a Jeep Wrangler, that is a niche market. Toledo isn't the Snowbelt either. Try Rocky Mountains, Cascades, northern Great Lakes, Alaska, northern New England, northeast Ohio, western New York, etc.
Believe me i know we’re the snowbelt is I’ve been to the upper peninsula of Michigan many times since i live in Michigan were they have already over 2000 inches of snow this winter already. I get it you’re a Subaru fan but we’re i live it’s domestic since i live we’re the Jeep Grand Cherokee is made. And believe me Metro Detroit gets it’s fair share of snow and plenty of sub 0 cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Put those cars in an AWD battle offroad, snow, ice tests and the Honda and Mazda might end of last places.
Great insight, NYC guy.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
The only two I'd even consider off that list would be the Jeep or Subaru.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times
No one buys these vehicles for that purpose so it's a non-issue.

Quote:
Put those cars in an AWD battle offroad, snow, ice tests and the Honda and Mazda might end of last places.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
I always thought that car mags hated domestics because for over a decade they haven't won any major car awards. That's when I rented cars and rode in other co-workers cars and realized how poorly designed domestics have been.

I rode the Ford Escape 2017, the interior was just way too busy and not for simpletons. The CRV and RAV4s are just so simple and refined in comparison.

Then I rode the Equinox and looked under the hood, the weld points, hardware just seems like cheaper parts than what is used in Toyotas and Hondas.

So is it the unions taking away so much profit from the domestic makes that they have to cheapen the quality so much?
In this day and age, you can expect pretty much anything to run 150k without too many major issues. The domestic stigma has hung around for decades when they truly were bad. They've upped their game to a degree.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Honda tends to always get picked first these days even if said cars do everything else better for some reason or another the Honda edges by.

Give me the Subaru or Mazda. Yes, I’m biased more towards the Subaru because at 335K my runs better then my wife’s which is six years newer.

Would wait A year to see how the 2.5 handles having a turbocharger on it. Knowing Mazda I’m sure it will be fantastic, still would wait and see.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Drive to any area that gets deep snow in the Snowbelt or mountains and Subaru is one the most popular brand on the road other than 4WD trucks. I would take AWD all day every day over mediocre Cherokee 4X4.

Certain Jeeps have had a selectable transfer case for years: 2 wheel drive, All Wheel Drive, four wheel drive, and low range. I had an '06 Liberty diesel that had that transfer case. the AWD was great on snowpacked roads!
I believe some Cherokees are available with a similar case. I don't plan to buy one, so I haven't researched it.

We get a lot of snow here in Montana. Jeeps are quite common, as are Subarus and the Big Three 4X4 trucks.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:59 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
I had the Mazda CX-9 and loved it. The only problem is that they put the water pump in the engine and when the pump went it spilled water into the oil case. 86k. Brick. No more Mazda for me.

We bought the crv. I like it, although I would prefer a bigger v6.

My in-laws have the Subaru Outback and I have to admit it feels more solid and just over all classier. I think it is more expensive, though.

Regarding the engine issue on the crv they did do a recall. They called it the ac control unit, I believe. But it was for the oil getting into the gas. Ours was new when they called us back in to replace that, so I hope it works. No issues so far. Comfortable. Runs well. Drives nice for a little engine.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:45 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
yEA AND cAR AND dRIVER PICKS mAZDA #1.
*yAWN* nOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:27 AM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times
Please provide the link of the comparison of the same vehicles by Car and Driver.

Still wanting to hear from someone who mentioned earlier how Motor Trend is biased to Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
yEA AND cAR AND dRIVER PICKS mAZDA #1.
*yAWN* nOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive