Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:11 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
It can't be the timing or sensors. Re-read my original post: I did say that when I am not in a protected left turn lane, that lane does get the protected green left arrow for 10-20sec. before full green. When I am in the protected left lane - at the front, or a car or three back, it goes straight to green, I'd estimate 4 out of 5 times.
Yes it can, and it probably is. If it's a 'smart' intersection, protected lefts (and their duration) are granted based on a multitude of factors, volume at each leg of the intersection, including in each lane, time of day, day of week, etc.

It's not at all mysterious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
THAT is your problem.

If you don't get a green arrow, (assuming full green) traffic laws allow for the FIRST car in a turning lane to proceed into the intersection and wait for traffic to clear before turning their wheel and making their left turn.

*** IF *** traffic never has a gap during the green light. You are to wait for them to stop for their red, and THEN proceed with your turn once the intersection is clear. Doesn't matter if the light is already red, you are *** IN *** the intersection and have the right to clear.
What you said is true, but it doesn't apply if he has a solid red arrow.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What you said is true, but it doesn't apply if he has a solid red arrow.
Did I really need to articulate that?

Old 03-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
THAT is your problem.

If you don't get a green arrow, (assuming full green) traffic laws allow for the FIRST car in a turning lane to proceed into the intersection and wait for traffic to clear before turning their wheel and making their left turn.

*** IF *** traffic never has a gap during the green light. You are to wait for them to stop for their red, and THEN proceed with your turn once the intersection is clear. Doesn't matter if the light is already red, you are *** IN *** the intersection and have the right to clear.
What you say makes sense, and has happened to me plenty of times since I can't seem to get an actual GREEN LEFT ARROW cycle to turn left LEGALLY under, instead of having to 'block the box' to turn left as the light cycles yellow to red, which can land one a ticket in many jurisdictions.

I'm seriously considering looking into the aura possibility, as every living being on Earth has been proven to have one(not sure about trees).

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 03-03-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 05:09 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
We have strange left-turn signals here in Oregon. You'll have a continuous green arrow when it's your lane's turn to go left. But then instead of changing to red it starts blinking yellow: "Yield before turning left.".

But that's just what I would do anyway, anywhere there isn't a left turn signal. I don't know why it is, but it seems that having the flashing yellow arrow as a "reminder" is a distraction. It seems to confuse rather than help.

I've gotten used to it now but when I first got here it sort of threw me.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Something else I just remembered: This phenomenon of going straight to all green in left lanes applies also when I am a PASSENGER - in my wife's car or other!

Well, it's obvious now-----that chip they planted in your head, sends out a disqualifying signal to traffic-light sensors.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Did I really need to articulate that?
Yes. Maybe not for the OP, but for others who read this forum.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Well, it's obvious now-----that chip they planted in your head, sends out a disqualifying signal to traffic-light sensors.
Don't you get it?? The OP is SPECIAL. Traffic lights work differently when he's around just to spite him.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
What you say makes sense, and has happened to me plenty of times since I can't seem to get an actual GREEN LEFT ARROW cycle to turn left LEGALLY under, instead of having to 'block the box' to turn left as the light cycles yellow to red, which can land one a ticket in many jurisdictions.

I'm seriously considering looking into the aura possibility, as every living being on Earth has been proven to have one(not sure about trees).
For that exact reason - "minimum one car per light change" will get to turn, as not to trap drivers for eternity - green means GO... WHEN CLEAR. Driver ed instructors said so.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
For that exact reason - "minimum one car per light change" will get to turn, as not to trap drivers for eternity - green means GO... WHEN CLEAR. Driver ed instructors said so.
And I do go - it's just harder under full green than protected left green - when opposing traffic barely lets up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive