Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times

Advertisements

In my area, people in the left lane like to drive bumper to bumper even when it's moving very fast, like 70 mph. I have no problem with the speed itself and can keep up with it, but I like to keep like a 2 second following distance to the car in front while everyone else keeps like a 0.5 second following distance.

It seems this is safer and as far as I understand the effect of me keeping a 2 second gap while everyone keeping only a 0.5 second gap has a negligible effect on traffic since I'm still moving at the average speed of the left lane.

However, this results in very angry reactions from people behind. Are they justified in their anger?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,735,540 times
No. Who cares what they think.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Well, 70 mph isn't very fast. As long as you're keeping flow with traffic it's not a huge deal but it really depends on the situation. If traffic is lighter but I want to move faster than the middle lane. Eventually I'll get behind someone who wants to go a bit slower than I normally would but isn't moving so slow that I'm going try and go around them. As long as they're going a constant speed I'll just drop back and follow. They'll often just stay in the fast lane which is reasonable since I'm not really showing any signs I want to go faster than they are. I'll move over so they can get the next person to either move over or go around on the right rather than just sitting there.

If traffic is congested, whatever. I leave a two second gap, more if traffic traffic isn't going at a steady speed or there's rain, limited visibility, or someone is tailgating. Doesn't bother me. If they want to weave in and out of traffic to fill in anything larger than a .25 second gap, that's on them. Most of the time it's not like they get anywhere and I'll often pass the same lane weaver multiple times.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Everyone, please read the Automotive forum rules in the Sticky thread. This topic has been discussed previously and is now verboten. Such threads, without fail, generate hateful posts and personal attacks. Thread closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive