Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In terms of dependability and overall popularity, Japanese cars have outranked American cars for decades now.

Back in the 80s, the Honda Accord used to be the popular car. Then it became the Toyota Camry. Lexus has done very well in the luxury car market for a long time now as well.

Do you think American cars will be able to catch up and compete with Japanese cars again?

Being that most of the people buying Detroit 3 vehicles want large SUV's or trucks... no. If you want to compare the whole Detroit 3 vs Asian thing... I'll take a Detroit 3 then German over an Asian vehicle any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't believe people still think "American car companies" are somehow inferior still today then Japanese cars.

Unbelievable.
Show me one domestic that can go up against Japanese and beat them in the short AND long run. Plenty of information proving that US brands aren’t up to par. Ok so the big 3 build bigger trucks. But that market is only theirs because the only competition is between themselves

My wife’s Infiniti going against same year domestic held up better. I don’t know if I will buy another one as the new ones aren’t as reliable..My buddy had a old Tacoma crew cab the early small body one and that thing had 270,000 miles and still drove great and had no issues. My dodge didn’t make it to 75,000 before needing a engine rebuild.
I had plenty of experiences with domestics to know there are other choices out there. If and when Big 3 build a vehicle that is that reliable longevity and value Qc is better I’ll buy one. Until then I’ll stick to what I got or I’ll go with something else

Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
One simple way to tell is this: Take two cars that compete in same category at same price. Say Camry and Impala. Look at what they are selling for 5 yrs later with same miles, options, conditions. Money talks.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
One simple way to tell is this: Take two cars that compete in same category at same price. Say Camry and Impala. Look at what they are selling for 5 yrs later with same miles, options, conditions. Money talks.
My wife’s daughter had a Malibu. In one or two years the BCM was replaced three times. And it was just raggedy looking. Everything had squeaks and rattles the plastics were just cheap feeling, fit and finish left a lot to be desired. There is a lot more to a car than drivetrain. Yeah Toyota makes boring cats. I rented a Camry for a week. It was a snooze mobile. Nothing memorable about the car. Bu5 it was quiet, drove fine, and no rattles. Had more miles than the Malibu even though it was a year newer.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:29 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
I don't think they'll ever get me back. I've had lots of trouble with US-made cars. When I heard that the parking lots at GM manufacturing plants were the place for drugs and prostitutes, to service the workers at breaks and change of shift, I understood why. Measure that against Japanese factories with a culture of worker cooperation, responsibility, and pride in their product. Of course the GM cars were awful - they were being assembled by drunk and high workers whose mind was on what they were going to buy in the parking lot in a couple of hours - not the product that they were assembling.

The 'Greatest' generation thought of Japanese products as being cheap junk, and bought American, until even they threw in the towel about 25 years ago. Now the only people who buy American cars are those who can't afford a Japanese car, or government fleets that have to buy American. The horrible quality of the US-made cars has lost them 3 generations of customers. They would have to manufacture vehicles that are cheaper and better than the cars made abroad, and would have to give a 60/100K warranty, like Hyundai does, or even more, to pull back in buyers.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Show me one domestic that can go up against Japanese and beat them in the short AND long run. Plenty of information proving that US brands aren’t up to par. Ok so the big 3 build bigger trucks. But that market is only theirs because the only competition is between themselves

My wife’s Infiniti going against same year domestic held up better. I don’t know if I will buy another one as the new ones aren’t as reliable..My buddy had a old Tacoma crew cab the early small body one and that thing had 270,000 miles and still drove great and had no issues. My dodge didn’t make it to 75,000 before needing a engine rebuild.
I had plenty of experiences with domestics to know there are other choices out there. If and when Big 3 build a vehicle that is that reliable longevity and value Qc is better I’ll buy one. Until then I’ll stick to what I got or I’ll go with something else
My friend bought a 2013 model year Camry 2 months after I got my company car, a 2012 Fusion. At 35K miles they replaced the engine and he's had several other issues with it. Aside from a set of tires and brakes I haven't done anything to that Fusion and it has 85K miles on it now.

3 months ago he traded in his Camry on a Malibu and it had 75K miles on it when he got rid of it. He said he didn't trust it anymore. So there is one example.....

As far as showing information that US brands aren't up to par you can't believe everything you read, you know? (Especially when it comes to the JD Powers/Consumer Reports of the world.) I can tell you from first hand experience those surveys are junk, and this is the case when comparing two vehicles from the same company. (For instance, Expedition vs Navigator.) It was comical to read those surveys and then look at real data and talk to customers to see how screwed up those surveys really were.

The only people that really know the truth about what vehicles are best are the OEM's, Dealers, and people who work in the business. They have access to all the warranty claim info, repair history, replacement parts sales data, etc. Most of these 3rd party sites are just in it to do enough to make a buck.....even Consumer Reports.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM

243 posts, read 268,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In terms of dependability and overall popularity, Japanese cars have outranked American cars for decades now.

Back in the 80s, the Honda Accord used to be the popular car. Then it became the Toyota Camry. Lexus has done very well in the luxury car market for a long time now as well.

Do you think American cars will be able to catch up and compete with Japanese cars again?
Why was Honda Accord the most popular in 1980s and why did Camry become the more popular choice after that?

Last edited by AliefNorth; 03-25-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 02:44 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
My friend bought a 2013 model year Camry 2 months after I got my company car, a 2012 Fusion. At 35K miles they replaced the engine and he's had several other issues with it. Aside from a set of tires and brakes I haven't done anything to that Fusion and it has 85K miles on it now.

3 months ago he traded in his Camry on a Malibu and it had 75K miles on it when he got rid of it. He said he didn't trust it anymore. So there is one example.....

As far as showing information that US brands aren't up to par you can't believe everything you read, you know? (Especially when it comes to the JD Powers/Consumer Reports of the world.) I can tell you from first hand experience those surveys are junk, and this is the case when comparing two vehicles from the same company. (For instance, Expedition vs Navigator.) It was comical to read those surveys and then look at real data and talk to customers to see how screwed up those surveys really were.

The only people that really know the truth about what vehicles are best are the OEM's, Dealers, and people who work in the business. They have access to all the warranty claim info, repair history, replacement parts sales data, etc. Most of these 3rd party sites are just in it to do enough to make a buck.....even Consumer Reports.
Why asking a service advisor/manager is best way to get info. Luckily a good friend of mine is one and it's brand I own. I got info from him not knowing him before I bought.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
I'm a big fan of American muscle, and that fabulous V8 exhaust note. Japan nor the Europeans comes close in this segment of muscle cars. Reasonable priced cars with tons of power and performance, anything with similar numbers from Europe would cost you probably twice as much. I absolutely love my Hellcat Challenger with no problem to date, and it's a 2015, it's bold and brash, and sort of in your face. It's also loud and very fast, and I love it.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Nothing in the same price range/class competes with the CTS-V.

Maybe that does not count since there are o competitors without nearly doubling the price of halving the benefits.

i do not think there are Japanese cars that seriously compete with the Corvette. There are pretenders. There are more expensive super-cars. No real competition.

No Japanese cars can compare to Tesla. Nor, really to the bolt for that matter.

Ford seems way ahead of everybody in automatic driving systems.

I do not think the Japanese make any decent diesel anything. Maybe i just do not know about it.

No decent vans either.

Mostly big stuff and stuff with big power. They do better making little stuff. Japan excels at making toasters. Still the US makers toasters are readily competitive and exceed Japan in styling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive