Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 04:55 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"bad place" can mean many things. I'm moving to Phoenix. Lots of desert out there...long distances...lots of bad places.
True. I would not hesitate to use it if I got stuck in the desert :: because it's too hot to mess around with changing a tire at that point.

I had a tire that kept going flat a few of weeks ago so put some air in it on the way home from work and filled up with the Fix-a-Flat. It was single digit temperatures with 30 MPH winds and on rural roads after dark with virtually no shoulder so yeah, not the best place to try and mess with a tire change.

As long as it isn't used as a long-term "fix" then there's nothing wrong with using it to get home safely when you are in a situation where it isn't really safe or possible to put the spare/donut on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
'Slime.'

I swear by that stuff, here's why:

Some years ago, I had someone else (a shop) put new tires on my motorcycle...a job I usually do myself but, for the first time, I had someone else do because I needed it done quicker and lacked the time to do it myself. When I picked up my wheels with the new tires installed (just the wheels, I removed them from the bike) the fellow who did the job informed me that he had put Slime in. I was 'ticked off' because he had not asked me beforehand if I wanted it done, and I was aware that doing it would subject the tires to instability at high speeds.

Fast forward- I took a road trip from MA to Houston, TX, on the return trip I stopped at a hotel in Memphis late at night, just after crossing the river. In the morning, I was sitting on the curb having a cup of coffee as the sun was rising and noticed a shiny glint coming from the rear tire. A closer examination revealed a very large packing staple embedded nearly dead-center of the tire...and yet, the tire remained fully inflated. I didn't mess with it. I continued on my journey, even riding to Deal's Gap to run the 'Tail Of The Dragon' (311 curves in 11 miles through the Smokey Mountains), just ahead of Hurricane Katrina (the edge of the storm hit me less than 15 minutes after completing the run, and I raced North trying to stay ahead of it, I managed to get out from under the rain until I stopped at Granny's in Frackville, PA to get some sleep, by morning the storm was on and I was wet for the next 400 miles or so). The same tire is still on, no leakage, though it is completely worn out and going to be replaced within the next month or so.

#2: Last year, only a few months after putting brand new mud tires on my Jeep, I noticed the right rear tire was low. I put air in it and heard a hissing noise- a large framing nail was embedded in the tire. I picked up a can of Slime and dumped it in, with the intention of repairing the tire later...I have not done it yet, I didn't remove the nail, and the tire is still holding air. I have since purchased a large container of Slime and every vehicle is going to get it. This stuff is 'the balls'. Get it and pre-load your tires, don't wait until you have a problem.

I don't work for the company that makes this stuff and they don't pay me to advertise it- it simply [expletive] WORKS and is well worth the money. It doesn't cost that much and the value (not to mention the peace of mind) is more than worth it.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:32 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
As long as it isn't used as a long-term "fix" then there's nothing wrong with using it to get home safely when you are in a situation where it isn't really safe or possible to put the spare/donut on.
I can change a spare relatively quickly, but there are some times when I might not want to mess with it and just want to get out of an area quickly (bad neighborhood, bust street, highway, Jurassic Park, etc). SO it's an option to use the fix-a-flat.

If I need to buy a new tire...i'd rather do that than some of the alternative scenarios.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:53 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Sometimes, in an emergency, you have to do what you have to do. I am not going to sit along the interstate and change a tire if I can pump some fixaflat into it and be on the road again. I just used some because my one daily driver had a very low tire one morning and I used fixaflat to get on the road and to go to work. I am due for new tires on that car, so I don't mind.

However, the guy who eventually puts on new tires will hate you for the stuff that runs out of the tire when they dismount it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive