Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times

Advertisements

I went to the O'Reilys near my house to get rid of some used motor oil, and they said they just filled up and I could take it next door to the oil change place. I got to talking to them about bringing in some tranny fluid later on....nope only motor oil, and if we mix anything else in there we'll get fined up the wazoo. I went next door to the oil change place and told them what the parts store guys said, and he looked at me like i just sprouted a second head. He told me that they dump all fluids together, except coolant, and they get paid per gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:12 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Most parts stores here have the same rule. There does not have to be any logic to it; their store, their rules, abide by them or go elsewhere!
Does the same recycling company pump out the tanks for the parts store and the oil change place? If they use different companies, their rules may be different.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:19 AM

69 posts, read 50,720 times
I don't think I'd trust the words of OReilly's employees OR the clowns at the Quick Change oil place.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times
now I don't know who to believe.....my world is shattered.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:34 AM

69 posts, read 50,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
now I don't know who to believe.....my world is shattered.
A couple things to consider.
1. Most of this used motor oil is bought by people who use it to heat their shops. Unless things are completely different in different parts of the country, this is not a government regulated thing. Yet...
2. If you mix 1 quart of transmission fluid with a gallon of motor oil, and take it in, they'll never know.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1500 View Post
A couple things to consider.
1. Most of this used motor oil is bought by people who use it to heat their shops. Unless things are completely different in different parts of the country, this is not a government regulated thing. Yet...
2. If you mix 1 quart of transmission fluid with a gallon of motor oil, and take it in, they'll never know.
Not always true. Where I live the conventional motor oil is recycled back into motor oil. I can see why mixing would be an issue. Synthetic is pretty much always recycled.

That being said, there is a case to use this used oil as heating oil. A friend has a shop and they burn all oil products as fuel oil in the winter. Really depends on the price differential between the fuel oil suppliers and the recyclers.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
My neighbor takes all my oil to recycle. He said it’s all dumped in one tank. I used to have all these separate containers. Now it all gets dumped in my rolling oil drain container and pumped in buckets.

My local auto store takes various fluids but it’s all dumped in one tank. So I don’t get the crazy rule. But whatever I just mix it all together and take it to the haz-mat drop off if it becomes a problem,

Worse comes to worse take it to your local dump. The have a hazardous waste recycle area. You’ll have to leave it in the container. I used to hit up the painters on jobsutes as they had this of buckets. I just washed out all the paint. Or go buy 5 gallon buckets with lids at the hardware store

Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM

99 posts, read 79,367 times
You can mix used motor oil and ATF yourself. They are remarkably similar in lubricating properties more than most people would like to believe, anyways. (Why do you think you can put a small amount of ATF in an engine to clean it, similar to when you fill a crankcase up with diesel fuel or kerosene and let it idle, you can do that with ATF as well, as an engine flush. Let it idle for up to 30 minutes...)

Advance Auto, you can then dump your container of motor oil in there. I used to live near one that let me dump it myself, and didn't ask for ID.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I used to hit up the painters on jobsutes as they had this of buckets. I just washed out all the paint. Or go buy 5 gallon buckets with lids at the hardware store
So I take it you don't drink milk?

Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I went to the O'Reilys near my house to get rid of some used motor oil, and they said they just filled up and I could take it next door to the oil change place. I got to talking to them about bringing in some tranny fluid later on....nope only motor oil, and if we mix anything else in there we'll get fined up the wazoo. I went next door to the oil change place and told them what the parts store guys said, and he looked at me like i just sprouted a second head. He told me that they dump all fluids together, except coolant, and they get paid per gallon.
The store I go to says oils mixed together are acceptable, just not antifreeze or other non-oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive