Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,255,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Well.

You don't want any CVT transmission.
You don't want any engine with a turbo.
You don't want any German made vehicle.

Simple.
I would add avoiding GM and also hyundai/kia after my recent experience. Check out the theta engine recall and all the cars that were _not_ covered under it that exhibited similiar failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 PM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
I like the new Toyota RAV-4, but the same size Hyundais and Kias are fine too. I like the Mazda CX-5 also. Something bigger, Id probably lean towards the Ford Explorer.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
so i happen to see a honda passport on the road today and i had never heard of it before.

it looks like it may be a good fit for me. my current and previous cars have been the subaru forester. i am satisfied with it but i want a more powerful engine. i dont want anything fancy and i dont need any options. just a basic small suv with awd and some more power. its 8 inches longer than my forester which is a negative but its also about 4 inches higher which is good. it looked fine to me, i dont really care what it looks like.

im going to take it for a test drive and see how i like it.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,681,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i happen to see a honda passport on the road today and i had never heard of it before.

it looks like it may be a good fit for me. my current and previous cars have been the subaru forester. i am satisfied with it but i want a more powerful engine. i dont want anything fancy and i dont need any options. just a basic small suv with awd and some more power. its 8 inches longer than my forester which is a negative but its also about 4 inches higher which is good. it looked fine to me, i dont really care what it looks like.

It’s just shortened version of the Pilot, but it stills retains that wonderful 3.5 V6.

Years ago the Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo, but the new one isn’t even remotely related.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 PM

7,527 posts, read 13,653,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

That's because it's new this year.

While at dealer also look at the CR-V. Daughter is on her 3rd 3 year lease CR-V (2013, 16, 19) No troubles, roomy inside, good power and mileage.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,998,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
That's because it's new this year.

While at dealer also look at the CR-V. Daughter is on her 3rd 3 year lease CR-V (2013, 16, 19) No troubles, roomy inside, good power and mileage.
CRV is nice, and I'd recommend it heartily if it weren't for all the engine problems.
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/ho...lution-problem

Old 06-23-2019, 09:46 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,875,671 times
I am looking into similar models, OP, so keen to see the continued feedback and how this plays out.

I think the Highlander is the best bet, but I'd prefer something smaller like a Santa Fe or Edge.

For a while I thought about Volvos, but from what I've read and having long-term affordable reliability in mind, have ruled it out. Outbacks, etc. are a bit smaller than I'd like.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 AM

12,549 posts, read 9,633,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
CRV is nice, and I'd recommend it heartily if it weren't for all the engine problems.
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/ho...lution-problem
I read about that issue when I bought in Feb. I saw a lot of panic on the internet, but at least for me, I wasn't actually persuaded it was much of a problem when I really dug into what I could find out. I didn't choose CR-V, but it wasn't because of that... I just preferred the Forester.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,893,517 times
Nissan Murano still going strong....love it.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:05 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,031,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I am looking into similar models, OP, so keen to see the continued feedback and how this plays out.

I think the Highlander is the best bet, but I'd prefer something smaller like a Santa Fe or Edge.

For a while I thought about Volvos, but from what I've read and having long-term affordable reliability in mind, have ruled it out. Outbacks, etc. are a bit smaller than I'd like.

Yeah, we have test driven the Santa Fe, Edge, and VW Tiguan so far. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Next up is the Sorento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive