Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:03 AM

997 posts, read 850,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I am looking into similar models, OP, so keen to see the continued feedback and how this plays out.

I think the Highlander is the best bet, but I'd prefer something smaller like a Santa Fe or Edge.

For a while I thought about Volvos, but from what I've read and having long-term affordable reliability in mind, have ruled it out. Outbacks, etc. are a bit smaller than I'd like.
I just bought a new highlander hybrid. Got a great deal, over $9000 off msrp. I was trying to buy a rav4 hybrid but it he dealers wouldn’t move much on them. The highlander was a much better value, in addition to the 306hp v6 vs the 219hp 4cylinder in a the rav. Leather, power heated seat(s), lift-gate, mud flaps all standard on the xle highlander, it’s a $1290 convienance package option on the rav 4 with no leather or power passenger seat in the rav 4. The highlander has plenty of power, great gas mileage and very good reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The new VW Tiguan
Still rated as a compact but has the cargo and back seat seating space of a mid size. 73.5 cuft of cargo space with seats down which rivals many of the mid size offerings, more than all of the ones you bring up but the Passport.

Ours has been problem free(for the year and a half we've had it) and has a 6 year/72k warranty now
This is best option for that budget.

If money is not an issue, the best available option in midsize SUV is the Porsche Macan turbo.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
That's because it's new this year.

While at dealer also look at the CR-V. Daughter is on her 3rd 3 year lease CR-V (2013, 16, 19) No troubles, roomy inside, good power and mileage.
thanks. in this category, id probably just stick with the forester. the only thing i want is some more horsepower. i see the mazda cx5 has an upgraded engine but that would require me to get the grand touring reserve trim. the 280 hp engine is standard on all trims. id rather have a base trim higher level car than a fully loaded lower level car. i dont want any fancy stuff, just the more powerful engine.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Yeah, we have test driven the Santa Fe, Edge, and VW Tiguan so far. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Next up is the Sorento.
Interested to know what you liked/didn't like about them, I'm still on the fence.

When test driving I liked the 2018 Santa Fe and really liked the way the 2017-2018 Edge drove, have not tried the new 2019 model and don't care for its looks.

I can say that I really disliked the way the Sorento drives, ruled that out immediately.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Interested to know what you liked/didn't like about them, I'm still on the fence.

When test driving I liked the 2018 Santa Fe and really liked the way the 2017-2018 Edge drove, have not tried the new 2019 model and don't care for its looks.

I can say that I really disliked the way the Sorento drives, ruled that out immediately.
The engines in the Santa Fe and Sorento and garbage (unless you get a Sorento V6). Just do a little research on the Theta II lawsuits.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 AM

i looked online and saw that the highlander would cost me around the same as the passport. things i dont prefer about it is the length (highlander has 3rd row i dont need/want) i want a shorter car and height (highlander is a couple of inches lower).

i think the length will disqualify it since i parallel park a lot and a few inches can sometimes make a difference between finding a spot or not. passport seems on paper to be the best fit for what im looking for. i may have a chance to test drive one this weekend. ill report.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i looked online and saw that the highlander would cost me around the same as the passport. things i dont prefer about it is the length (highlander has 3rd row i dont need/want) i want a shorter car and height (highlander is a couple of inches lower).

i think the length will disqualify it since i parallel park a lot and a few inches can sometimes make a difference between finding a spot or not. passport seems on paper to be the best fit for what im looking for. i may have a chance to test drive one this weekend. ill report.
i test drove the passport last weekend. aside from the more advanced technology, my current 2016 subaru forester was a more enjoyable drive for me. the additional horsepower wasnt something i could feel when driving so i was disappointed with that.

i think next ill test drive the mazda cx5 with the turbo engine. maybe that will be a better fit.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
If you plan on towing a boat or camper, then you want to check tow ratings.

I owned 3 SUVs that are no longer made. They were 2WD which was fine since I have not driven in snow for 46 years and I don't go 4wheeling. Simple requires less maintenance. They did a good job towing my small travel trailer up and down the mountains.

The CUVs/SUVs that I see now tend to be short on cargo space.

Roof racks are handy to carry bulky things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive