Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 02:43 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
He's going towards the wall because he's in a turn and there was whatever speed the car was able to obtain once it gained traction directly at the wall. Obvuosly the direct forward impact wasn;'t going 200 but it was certainly significant amount. On a corner like that the banking is going to cause that car to gain a considerable amount of traction to shoot it off into the wall and tht's where the car wants to go...

But don't forget that trying to climb the banking it also has to fight the force of gravity. I've always thought there was some validity to Bill Simpson's claim of improperly positioned belts. The reality is there are crashes that look horrible that result in minor injuries and ones that don't look so bad that result in serious injuries or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
On a side note I've been to Talladegga and the TV can never give you any perspective on how steep those corners are, I know Daytona is similar. There was one part of the track I'd swear if you tripped you'd probably fall all the way to the apron because you'd never be able to stop yourself.

Hell, I'd bet $$$ on that happening! I've driven around Pocono and turn one's only banked about half of what Daytona's banked and it really does shorten your field of vision, and I was probably only going about 120-125 in a sedan, it must really get your attention at over 200 and twice the banking. I remember when Talladega first joined the schedule the drivers were having some serious reactions to the Gs they were pulling. I'm not sure but I seem to recall that may have been one of the issues that led to restrictor plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 04:00 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Sad to hear this he was one of the best in F1.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:02 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Honestly, I lost interest in F1 after about that era - Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Cosworth engines and the marvelous Tyrell six-wheeler. That was the point when the cars became more and more the focus, with technology replacing so many other elements and reducing drivers (IMHO) to narrowly involved test pilots.

An F1 race now is just about the most boring example of the sport possible.
I guess that I knew about Niki Lauda due to car magazines I got for modeling and slot cars but as I remember about the only F1 race that was easily seen was the Grand Prix of Monaco on ABC's Wild World of Sports until Mario Andretti began his run at the title.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sad to hear this he was one of the best in F1.

This was one of my favorite movie scenes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kl0UBS4ZaM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive