Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,040,919 times

Advertisements

We are starting to look at new mid-size SUVs/CUVs, hoping to make a purchase later in the summer. Can you help make suggestions and things to keep in mind? Looking for a vehicle larger than a compact SUV (Rav4/Escape/CX-5/Equinox, etc) with more room inside, but not interested in large 3-row SUVs either (Explorer/Atlas/Pilot, etc). Budget is ~$32-35k, prefer not to buy base trims of any model. Here the models we are considering now:

Ford Edge: I like it's looks, driver technology options and the cargo space. Pricing is decent on the mid-tier trims with factory rebates taken into consideration. Infotainment seems straight-forward to use, and dealers around here stock different colors/packages, etc so it's easy to find one suiting our preferences. However I am concerned about Ford long-term reliability (owned 2 Fords that developed oil leaks around 100k miles ), also the fact they no longer offer the NA V6 engine in 2019.

Kia Sorento: Again we like the looks and available driver aids. It also has a std. 3rd row which may be useful in emergencies although not for daily use. Has a V6 engine in mid-trims which is a plus. Not sure how Kias hold up after 10 years. Kia does have a 10-yr warranty.

Hyundai Santa Fe: It's a new model this year, and very affordably priced compared to the others in our list. Interiors look decent, and again has all the driver aids we desire as options. Somewhat scared by Hyundai engine fire and other issues from this decade, as the Santa Fe again has a 2.4L or a 2.0 T.

Nissan Murano: I don't particularly like the fussy styling, but the interior and options look nice and it may hold value better than the others in my list. Pricey though, and the CVT is a negative.

Chevrolet Blazer: A new model, and seems overpriced for what it offers. Limited availability at dealers in our area.

Honda Passport: Also a new model, but Honda reliability and resale value are up there. Haven't checked out the interior yet.

Buick Regal TourX: A left-field selection, but the size, car-like handling, and cargo capacity make it another option worth considering to me. A rare car on the roads, and I am not sure of buying a re-badged Opel that may get canceled soon.

Any other models worth considering? I didn't look at FCA offerings due to them usually coming in last for reliability. Please share your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 06:55 AM

73 posts, read 45,606 times
I am also looking, and leaning towards the Kia Sorento. I do like the new Kia Telluride, but I would not buy the first year's model. Other finalists are the Honda Passport and Toyota Highlander.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,090,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Buick Regal TourX: A left-wing selection, but the size, car-like handling, and cargo capacity make it another option worth considering to me. A rare car on the roads, and I am not sure of buying a re-badged Opel that may get canceled soon.
I honestly almost passed over this thread because most CUVs are ho-hum variants of vanilla, but then I saw this.

I bought a TourX over a year ago and love it. Have almost 26k miles on it so far. And now, you can get heavily equipped models at or below your budget, as dealers are offering lots of discounts on them. Yes there is a risk associated with the fact that GM sold off Opel, but the 2.0T powertrain in this car is used in a lot of other GM vehicles.

Feel free to read over any opinions/issues with the car here from actual owners:
https://buickforums.com/forums/forum...urx-forum.135/

Old 05-03-2019, 07:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,061,051 times
Well.

You don't want any CVT transmission.
You don't want any engine with a turbo.
You don't want any German made vehicle.

Simple.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,570,682 times
I would look at the Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorrento, and Ford Edge in that order. The Buick really isn’t the same thing as the others, but if you could get a good deal on it, then it could be an intriguing prospect.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,361,051 times
The CX-5 would be my choice, but since it's too small, my next choice would probably be the Blazer. The interior reminds me a lot of the Mazda. Simple, but luxurious at the same time.

I've never heard of a Nissan, outside of a GT-R or Z-Car, holding its value well.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,572,211 times
Among your choices the Ford Edge. I honestly can't believe someone would pay almost as much for the Kia or Hyundai.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,442,522 times
Personally, I’d rethink CVT and turbo. If I were buying in the fall, my first choice would be a 2020 turbo Outback which has a CVT. I’d just throw a 120k extended warranty on it. 30 mpg highway on regular gas. Quiet. Roomy. Car seating position.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 AM

17,451 posts, read 12,409,363 times
The new VW Tiguan
Still rated as a compact but has the cargo and back seat seating space of a mid size. 73.5 cuft of cargo space with seats down which rivals many of the mid size offerings, more than all of the ones you bring up but the Passport.

Ours has been problem free(for the year and a half we've had it) and has a 6 year/72k warranty now

Old 05-03-2019, 09:37 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,476,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Among your choices the Ford Edge. I honestly can't believe someone would pay almost as much for the Kia or Hyundai.
My wife has a 2016 Kia Sorento with the 2.4 GDI, not a problem at all with it. Very roomy and quiet and runs very smoothly she love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive