Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 PM

221 posts, read 132,196 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for a car under $5 k, and posting on here for recommendations for such (year, model). I'm primarily looking for a car that is reliable, not too expensive to repair, and still has some style/basic features. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a car under $5 k, and posting on here for recommendations for such (year, model). I'm primarily looking for a car that is reliable, not too expensive to repair, and still has some style/basic features. Thanks.
Don't worry about which car. Buy the owner, not the car.

If you know someone that is meticulous & anal and has an older car, buy it!
I've bought a couple from these type of people, a Chevy and a Mitsubishi.
They were very good cars, lasted a long time.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Look for a Buick, nobody wants a Buick. You can typically find older models, low mileage, 1 owner, well maintained in that price range.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:09 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Look for small Toyota, like Corolla. They are built to last.
Yes, get maintenance history and check it by YOUR trusted mechanic, or buy certified.
One owner that took care of the car is more important than lower mileage or year.
You can get some mileage to price ideas by consulting Bluebook.

If you aren't experienced car owners take with you someone who is.
If you want to learn what to look for
when buying used car, and other useful stuff read this:
https://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm
This is a very good guide.
In your spare time explore this website, it has very valuable tips and guides, budget spreadsheets, insurance info etc.
https://www.carbuyingtips.com/
Click on menu.

Happy shopping!!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM

1,002 posts, read 919,155 times
I'm pretty fond of the Honda Fit, in manual. My girlfriend is averaging 42-48mpg with no special driving, just a little conservative with the throttle pedal. It's at 220k miles and has never had any maintenance other than belts, oil, tires, and a battery. My brother is 6'2" and says he's comfortable in it, but would probably get some seat rail spacers to move the driver seat back an inch. The cargo area is ridiculous for the car's footprint, and icing on the cake is that it's actually kinda fun to drive.

My understanding is that although the automatic looks better on the EPA cycle, real world the manual gets much better economy and will go more miles without maintenance.

But I agree, buy the owner. One owner car, older female, dealership maintenance records would probably be an ideal case.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
I had a similar thread going on a while back. I was in a situation where I only had 4k-ish to spend on a used car and was trying to find something reasonably reliable. I think it will really come down to who owned the car previously and how it was maintained. There's probably no one make/model that will perform flawlessly for a long period of time with such a low budget. I was able to find a used high mileage prius (where the 2nd owner had replaced the hybrid battery) for 4k. I think you just need to look around OP and see what you can find that's in good condition/well kept.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Older Nissan Sentra, or similar Mazda.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Ford Crown Victoria 1999 to 2011.

Virtually indestructible.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
an estate sale might be a good place to find one.

the first pickup truck i ever owned was bought at an estate sale. there are usually more cars, old buicks and cadillacs, than trucks.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Your looking for the best maintained, best condition, fewest owners, lowest mileage vehicle, in your price range. You can have some loose preferences, but you can't be looking for a specific brand/model. High depreciation is a good thing.

When you find a vehicle of interest, do some online research for specific problems for that model. You have to use some rational judgement about what problems are severe enough to avoid the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive