Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 12:32 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think all that illustrates another problem in that it's not just about whether it's "doable". Most if not all of us could probably make an EV work for most of our usage but it's not in our mindset. We grew up with ICE where we gave little thought to refueling beyond an occasional glance at the fuel gauge and when it reaches a quarter tank just refuel at the next convenient stop.

I don't think most drivers want to have to research the availability of charging stations along their route or at their destination. Or having to remember to plug it in overnight or be stuck. It will take awhile to where you have a generation or two who grew up with an EV as their first if not only car they've ever owned.
Right, it’s a change of habits. It can happen relatively quickly like buying stuff online or owning mobile devices and charging them overnight or when power is low. It won’t be an overnight change and mass produced EVs have been around for almost a decade at this point and are only now not a complete unicorn when spotted out and about (and only in some places). That’s quite different from a decade ago, and a decade from now will again be a fairly different situation due to better batteries allowing for greater range with less weight and costs and more ubiquitous and faster charging stations.

In regards to my response to that Seattle to Portland trip, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that anyone who owns a EV has to a great degree acclimated to things like going to a charging station or plugging in when at home. For the range and the specific path that was outlined, it’s one that with those assumptions, can have an overall very similar trip since the deviation can be between almost none for the trip albeit with a very pricey car or a stop or two at a fast charging station for a somewhat less pricey car. So yea, you can have what is more or less the same trip for that itinerary specifically, but it’ll likely be much more accessible budget-wise and more similar in terms of not having to plan as much if the vehicle can’t make it on a full charge.

I did proffer an example of another reasonable day trip itinerary that even with the longest range EV today would have a markedly different outcome than taking the trip via an ICE vehicle would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times
Whole indeed you will have to plan on the infrequent road trip (well Tesla will plan it for you), you eliminate those weekly gas fillups. Especially nice to get rid of the ones you end up doing at an inconvenient time.

For most people, EV charging will end up being a net benefit time wise VS Ice fueling.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, it’s a change of habits. It can happen relatively quickly like buying stuff online or owning mobile devices and charging them overnight or when power is low. It won’t be an overnight change and mass produced EVs have been around for almost a decade at this point and are only now not a complete unicorn when spotted out and about (and only in some places). That’s quite different from a decade ago, and a decade from now will again be a fairly different situation due to better batteries allowing for greater range with less weight and costs and more ubiquitous and faster charging stations.

In regards to my response to that Seattle to Portland trip, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that anyone who owns a EV has to a great degree acclimated to things like going to a charging station or plugging in when at home. For the range and the specific path that was outlined, it’s one that with those assumptions, can have an overall very similar trip since the deviation can be between almost none for the trip albeit with a very pricey car or a stop or two at a fast charging station for a somewhat less pricey car. So yea, you can have what is more or less the same trip for that itinerary specifically, but it’ll likely be much more accessible budget-wise and more similar in terms of not having to plan as much if the vehicle can’t make it on a full charge.

I did proffer an example of another reasonable day trip itinerary that even with the longest range EV today would have a markedly different outcome than taking the trip via an ICE vehicle would have.
But for this kind of impromptu day trip, having to take the time to carefully plan out based on the availability of fast charging stations takes all of the fun spontaneity out of it. We were able to just decide where to go next without any particular reason, and never worry about running out of battery.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
It appears the battery situation will rapidly improve. The so called solid state batteries appear to be in the research lab at this point with scale up underway. These batteries offer much higher energy density and do not combust. One variant in fact appears to have a capacity that increases as it ages.

The successful commercialization of these batteries likely will cause a swift changeover to the EV. Five years? Well likely less than 10.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The successful commercialization of these batteries likely will cause a swift changeover to the EV. Five years? Well likely less than 10.

Define "changeover".

Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Define "changeover".
Rapid conversion of all new production cars to EV.

Conversion of the auto population will obviously require decades.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
But for this kind of impromptu day trip, having to take the time to carefully plan out based on the availability of fast charging stations takes all of the fun spontaneity out of it. We were able to just decide where to go next without any particular reason, and never worry about running out of battery.
I agree and I outlined a scenario like that with Fargo to Winnepeg and back. For the specific route you’re highlighting though, there is an (expensive) EV that can do the trip without charging or having to plan for one stop at a charging station.

It’s also what makes the argument for why batteries with greater energy density and more and faster charging stations are necessary for EVs to really take off since not every route has even the amount of charging options that the trip you outlined does. The good thing about the charging stations though is that it’s feasible to install such in parking lots and parking garages whereas it’s more difficult to have that happen with the currently much more ubiquitous gas stations.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Rapid conversion of all new production cars to EV.

Conversion of the auto population will obviously require decades.

I don't see it happening with production for multi-decades.

Maybe we will have a Cash For Carbonizers buyback?

Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I don't see it happening with production for multi-decades.

Maybe we will have a Cash For Carbonizers buyback?
Yea, I think there will generally be some usage of ICE vehicles for a while. I think more realistic is something like by 2030 at the latest the majority of new mass production cars sold in the US will be EVs.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:13 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Lots of opinions based on little actual experience. Try driving an EV for a couple of days, it does not take long to get used to it. You don't have to carefully plan where to charge, the car does it - frankly I have to plan stops at gas stations more than charging for an EV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive