Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2019, 11:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You seem to think your environment applies to the majority of the people in the US, that is not true. According to US Census data, in 2010, 19.2% of the population in the US is rural. And yes, I have lived in rural areas that don't plow many roads for a couple of days.

The DMV is badly mistaken that there are no Tesla's registered in Montana, there have been Tesla's registered since 2013, 6 years ago. Here is an article about the last holdout being Mississippi in late 2013 - https://www.edmunds.com/industry-cen...50-states.html and here is a thread where talks about having difficulty registering a Tesla in MT https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...roblem.131581/ - they definitely have Tesla's registered in MT.
About 3 months ago the DMV issued a statement when Tesla claimed they were now registered in every state, saying they were wrong as not one was currently registered in Montana, and they should know so I take their word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 11:37 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
About 3 months ago the DMV issued a statement when Tesla claimed they were now registered in every state, saying they were wrong as not one was currently registered in Montana, and they should know so I take their word.
I guess all the Montana specific threads in the Tesla forum are a sham? The idea that not a single Tesla is registered in Montana is ridiculous. Please provide a link.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/montana/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/northwest.90/

I also guess this rally of Montana Tesla owners is a propaganda piece.
https://billings365.com/montana-tesla-rally

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-05-2019 at 11:48 PM..

Old 10-06-2019, 12:48 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Then your DMV source is wrong. Also Tesla issued the statement in 2013, not 3 months ago - maybe it was true then but NOT now. https://carbuzz.com/news/tesla-model...-all-50-states
Quote:
Tesla has hit another important milestone this week. A Model S is now registered in every single state of the union. Mississippi has been holding up the announcement for eight months, but after a Model S was registered in Jackson back in November (2013), Elon Musk can - and will - now brag he has a car in every state. It took 18 months to reach that target.
This image from Edmunds shows 11-39 registrations in MT by Nov 2013

Here is a video of an owner from Polson MT talking about their Tesla in 2015 - https://youtu.be/RnLFTlYHjgQ and more than a few Tesla Model S's in Bozeman - a post on TMC from 2015 indicating a Tesla there in December 2013;

Quote:
... We will soon have to see if we can get a local gathering together sometime, Your's will be the 7 th Model S in Bozeman! I have a Dolphin Grey S85 that arrived December 16, 2013 and was the only Model S until June of 2014 when a dark green S85 was delivered to an MD in Bozeman. A Pearl White P85D arrived in May 2015, A Blue P85D arrived in June of 2015, A new metallic Grey 70D arrived in August with a Bike rack on the rear bumper, In September (one) arrived at MSU with a Signature P85+ and now your titanium 85D.

Last edited by ddeemo; 10-06-2019 at 01:07 AM..

Old 10-06-2019, 09:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are ignoring what was said to address this issue - it is far from impossible to charge an EV regularly when renting. There are many that make it work by charging with public chargers and 120v outlets - not really that difficult. My son has a Leaf that is used daily that is charged this way exclusively. You are confusing impossible with using alternative means.
If I needed to charge an EV, the closest option would mean an Uber ride to a Walgreen's store in the area. There is one charging station there.

So, even if that charging station wasn't being used by anyone else, it would cost me at least $20 round trip, not including tips for the Uber drivers.

And, my car would be left overnight in an area where a lot of vehicle thefts and break-ins occur.

Hence, this is not a viable option in the real world of renters without enough charging stations where they live.

You're just not aware of the real world of renters.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:27 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If I needed to charge an EV, the closest option would mean an Uber ride to a Walgreen's store in the area. There is one charging station there.

So, even if that charging station wasn't being used by anyone else, it would cost me at least $20 round trip, not including tips for the Uber drivers.

And, my car would be left overnight in an area where a lot of vehicle thefts and break-ins occur.

Hence, this is not a viable option in the real world of renters without enough charging stations where they live.

Why would you do an uber ride? The assumption is that you have a EV, right? If you have a EV, then why wouldn’t you be driving it there since that’s what cars are used for? How far away is the charging station and what speed does it charge at? What is the length of your usual commute? Have you ever owned an ICE vehicle? If so, do you usually uber to the gas station?

I’m not saying your situation is one where EVs are practical, but people without home charging stations do still make it work. Also, some rentals do have access to charging at home.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-07-2019 at 04:36 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 05:10 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

You are just being obtuse, who would someone uber to charge? If can't find a 120v outlet, since they apparently are rare in your world, use a Tesla supercharger or equivalent. I know several people who use these as their main source of charging. EV's are not for everyone, but quit trying to say not for anyone that is renting, simply not true.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:07 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Now in California the power companies are shutting off power to huge areas during windy conditions to avoid power lines sparking wild fires. So if you have a electric car not only do you have no power but no car too.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Now in California the power companies are shutting off power to huge areas during windy conditions to avoid power lines sparking wild fires. So if you have a electric car not only do you have no power but no car too.
That's the larger problem that we're not addressing is that we don't have good power grid and redundant power. If you don't have a generator or alternate fuel source to generate power then you could be SOL due to natural disasters.

In CA, any earthquake could disrupt the grid. Big coastal storms have big known to wreck havoc on the grid. Someone made a comment saying that big storms caused back ups on the gas lines and having an EV was better. It's hard to say, some people had electricity back and some didn't for weeks. Atleast with gas you can transport gas easily and quickly. With electricity you are at the mercy of the local utility or else find gas and generate your own.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's the larger problem that we're not addressing is that we don't have good power grid and redundant power. If you don't have a generator or alternate fuel source to generate power then you could be SOL due to natural disasters.

In CA, any earthquake could disrupt the grid. Big coastal storms have big known to wreck havoc on the grid. Someone made a comment saying that big storms caused back ups on the gas lines and having an EV was better. It's hard to say, some people had electricity back and some didn't for weeks. Atleast with gas you can transport gas easily and quickly. With electricity you are at the mercy of the local utility or else find gas and generate your own.
If outages become common in an area you develop alternates. Fueling your vehicle is only a minor part of this.

Some of us use medical devices that require power. We all use refrigerators and freezers. In hot and cold climates we depend on electric for cooling and heating. Homes here would be unlivable if the outage lasted more than a day or so.

Both ICE and EV will provide an escape if the outage cause allows it. But there are conditions under which no vehicle is going to move.

So a concern to be dealt with in at least some places. Not really an EV issue though. Much bigger.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Another reason to think twice about electric cars.

https://apnews.com/438e08fd0e174e228e40a626ef9dceaf

https://www.fastcompany.com/90415333...power-goes-out

But what about travelers passing through driving any electric car? You can carry some Jerry Cans with extra gas to get you through in emergency power outage conditions, but you can't carry extra electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive