Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:22 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I am looking to buy a new mid-size SUV in the next few months. Looking at different models, they all seem to have large wheel sizes standard especially on upper trims. I am seeing 19-20" on most models. What's the deal with this? I thought larger wheel sizes led to poor rides and more chances of rim damage? Why don't companies offer smaller smoother riding wheels on upper trims? Also, doesn't tire replacement become more expensive with larger wheels? Is there any real advantage to large wheel sizes over smaller 17-18" ones?
Because wheels have been getting bigger and bigger for the past 20 years. Not talking about "donks", just about regular cars. Back when I got a BMW 528 in 2000, the sporty wheels were 17". Now the standards on sedans are 18s and sport models are 19s. On SUV upper trims, as you mentioned, they're usually either 19 or 20. I am wheel-obsessed. Some years ago, I wouldn't even consider the Lexus RX SUV because it only had 17" wheels. This year, I wouldn't consider an Infiniti QX50 because its wheels were 18". Anyway, ended up getting a BMW 330i with M-sport package, which has 19" wheels (oh and fog lights, another must-have). So far the ride seems fine. I'm in Florida so there's not a ton of potholes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did drive a Cadillac XT5 with 20" wheels as a rental up in PA, where potholes are EVERYWHERE, and the ride was horrible, I couldn't wait to get out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Short sidewalls and wide tires are a fashion statement, and they do improve steering response in dry road conditions. But they make the ride harsher, can cause bent/cracked rims from a pothole, and that wide tread will lose traction more easily on wet and snowy roads.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:53 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,428,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Its called "donkin" Very stylish and favored by many ethnic groups.

I still see a few, but its like 10 years past their prime.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
20” is not enough for donks anymore, you need at least 24s.

I’ll never forget back around 2008 when my grandparents bought a new Tahoe LTZ, and when my grandmother was showing it to me she said “it has 20’s”.
that was the "jump the shark" moment!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times
Realistically, when I was young, full size cars and half ton pickups had 15 inch wheels. Three quarter ton trucks had 16 inchers. Mid size cars were on 14" and compacts had 13" wheels.

The argument "oh it's for brake caliper clearance" is total BS: we never had any trouble locking up the wheels on a 15" wheel car.

Nope, it's just fashion being anti-functional - which is fashion's job; but it annoys the devil out of me to have to put up with a buckboard ride when the technology exists to provide plenty of shock absorption. That's why old man Dunlop invented pneumatic tires in the first place.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:22 AM

958 posts, read 2,024,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Realistically, when I was young, full size cars and half ton pickups had 15 inch wheels. Three quarter ton trucks had 16 inchers. Mid size cars were on 14" and compacts had 13" wheels.

The argument "oh it's for brake caliper clearance" is total BS: we never had any trouble locking up the wheels on a 15" wheel car.

Nope, it's just fashion being anti-functional - which is fashion's job; but it annoys the devil out of me to have to put up with a buckboard ride when the technology exists to provide plenty of shock absorption. That's why old man Dunlop invented pneumatic tires in the first place.

Being able to lock up the wheels on a car "when you were young" isn't so relevant anymore. Tire technology is significantly better, the larger tires offer more traction and cars are larger and weigh significantly more. All of these things lead to bigger/better brakes for optimal braking.

With all of that said, I do agree with you that much of the move up-size is for appearances and not function, although there are some real-world benefits.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Being able to lock up the wheels on a car "when you were young" isn't so relevant anymore. Tire technology is significantly better, the larger tires offer more traction and cars are larger and weigh significantly more. All of these things lead to bigger/better brakes for optimal braking.

With all of that said, I do agree with you that much of the move up-size is for appearances and not function, although there are some real-world benefits.
Oh yes, its 99% for appearance only imo!

Thats why I see so many Huge wheels, where they stretch the low profile tire to fit a wider wheel (this makes the aspect ratio look even smaller).

Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,971,478 times
Larger wheel size increases the foot print with a less packaging issues than going wider for the same increase. Manufacturers have gone this direction for the look as well as performance. I was a real skeptic initially but now that I have one car with 19's and one with 20's I am a believer.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,554,563 times
Quote:
Locking up the wheels is a poor metric to use to judge braking performance. If you can lock up your wheels, then it's a sign you have crappy tires on the car that lose grip too easily.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 08-05-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 08:53 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,430,289 times
Quote:

You also didn't have 300+ hp on your average family sedan. higher horsepower requires better take-off traction, bigger brakes, and better braking traction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive