Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,979,673 times

Advertisements

an insurance actuarial told me: it is not the per mile that counts. what counts is the exposure time.

for example: you are stopped at a traffic light. no miles. but you are "exposed" in traffic. and while
exposed, you are rear-ended (pun?). anyway, minutes and seconds in traffic is a better predictor
(according to him) than miles driven. sort of the same with air travel, but take-off and landing
overwhelm the exposure risks. again, he said, by examining the hours actually in traffic and
compare it to the actual minutes in the air, ground travel (bicycles, cars, trains, etc.)
and air travel (balloons, hang-gliding, space, military, everything) are the same in
deaths-per-minute of exposure. injuries? ground travel was much, much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:00 PM

1,072 posts, read 791,605 times
Default That's where technology comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
an insurance actuarial told me: it is not the per mile that counts. what counts is the exposure time.

for example: you are stopped at a traffic light. no miles. but you are "exposed" in traffic. and while
exposed, you are rear-ended (pun?). anyway, minutes and seconds in traffic is a better predictor
(according to him) than miles driven. sort of the same with air travel, but take-off and landing
overwhelm the exposure risks. again, he said, by examining the hours actually in traffic and
compare it to the actual minutes in the air, ground travel (bicycles, cars, trains, etc.)
and air travel (balloons, hang-gliding, space, military, everything) are the same in
deaths-per-minute of exposure. injuries? ground travel was much, much worse.

I agree got millions miles of just what your saying between sea, land, and air. That's where technology comes in. Even in oldest cars DVR's are are now available for very little money. The multiple camera's are wireless and all the data goes straight to the internet via your phone. Actuaries and law enforcement now have data that never before existed. In the traffic mishaps in today's world most accidents will be recorded. That's a good thing.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:01 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,610,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Car accident death statistic search engine by make model and year. Some very important consumer information. I found this search engine and the search returns are by make, model and year. It also separates trucks, sports cars, pick-up's, suv's, etc.

I was surprised when reading some of the results returned by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's search engine. Some vehicles I though to be safe turned out not to be. This information speaks volumes about the car manufacturing industry.

Remember read the summary carefully, these searches can be made by year, via the drop-down selectors above the results. Here is the link below.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-...make-and-model

Here is another link. It's a report which summaries the overall search engine information.

https://www.iihs.org/api/datastoredo...eport/pdf/52/3
It didn't have mine (Honda Fit), so I had to look elsewhere.

It's a bit shocking to find out that the Honda Fit is in the top 3 of cars that have deaths when involved in accident. Seems that pretty much all subcompact cars are in trouble, when they are involved in accidents. As the site mentions, when a subcompact car gets into an accident with one of the many F-150s on the road, it won't end well for the subcompact. That explains the high ins. rate I have to pay.

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/most...rs-fatalities/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#a9352e8e31ed

I plan on getting a new car in a year or two and will be moving up to a midsize SUV, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive