Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:06 PM

251 posts, read 235,941 times

Advertisements

I am so put off when I see these "dealer fees" some are over $1000.00

Everyone is entitled to a profit but these "dealer fees" seem so excessive. Here in Florida, every dealer has them and they won't budge on removing it or even backing out the "dealer fee" Why is this??? greed??? The car business is so tainted I never believe a "car salesman" bad attitude I know sorry

and I know it costs $$ to run a dealership especially these big fancy ones with expensive buildings fancy fish tanks and costly furniture. But these dealer fees suck.
Also, how can the car dealer have the nerve to tell a customer that the dealership has a NOTHING DEAL on their purchase? really????? I hate lies. and cheating. I feel a fair profit is a good thing but $1,000 dealer fees on top of what they get from the customer and kickbacks from the manufacturer.

Is there any states where car dealers do not have " dealer fees"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 03:14 PM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Dealer fee's are nothing more than a charge for doing the paperwork.

Total ripoff.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:45 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Dealer "document fees" are a scam that was dreamed up and the dealers jumped on it. A few states limit the amount that can be charged. The states could limit or end it, but that would be politics, nuff said.

Walking to the door sometimes will bring the dealer back to reality, but you may have to walk out of a series of dealer's doors.

It does NOT cost hundreds of dollars for a title clerk to spend 15 to 30 minutes processing paperwork in the computer age.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
States generally do not have the ability to restrict "Dealer Fees" as they are consumer choice items that a buyer can say no to and go to another dealer which has lesser or no "Dealer Fees". Now, a "Dealer Fee" is not the same as a regulated "Document (DOC) Fee". For what is commonly known as a "Document Fee", many states have regulations. This is technically regulated as it relates to the fee a dealer can charge for completing the legal sales paperwork, handling the sales tax and doing the Motor Vehicle registration paperwork. Most just require disclosure while some have legally set fees. In States that does have regulations, you can check the State's websites and it usually disclosed as to how much and for what that fee represents. So, no state with regulation actually forces a dealer to charge the fee; it just establishes the maximum that dealer can charge for what they are doing. Dealers can, at their own discretion, decide to not charge, lower or waive the fee. One notable difference is in Delaware, where a "Doc Fee" is actually a sales tax just called a "Doc Fee" which has nothing to do with documentation.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Default are we really that gullible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
States generally do not have the ability to restrict "Dealer Fees" as they are consumer choice items that a buyer can say no to and go to another dealer which has lesser or no "Dealer Fees". Now, a "Dealer Fee" is not the same as a regulated "Document (DOC) Fee". For what is commonly known as a "Document Fee", many states have regulations. This is technically regulated as it relates to the fee a dealer can charge for completing the legal sales paperwork, handling the sales tax and doing the Motor Vehicle registration paperwork. Most just require disclosure while some have legally set fees. In States that does have regulations, you can check the State's websites and it usually disclosed as to how much and for what that fee represents. So, no state with regulation actually forces a dealer to charge the fee; it just establishes the maximum that dealer can charge for what they are doing. Dealers can, at their own discretion, decide to not charge, lower or waive the fee. One notable difference is in Delaware, where a "Doc Fee" is actually a sales tax just called a "Doc Fee" which has nothing to do with documentation.
good info, I am though, talking about the add on dealer fee that many "hide" on their ads like this one>>>>>

Price excludes dealer fee of $989, tax, tag, title, and electronic filing fee; as well as, dealer installed options which is $3,299.99 Kia Value Package. Price subject to change. Discounted price includes $1,000 Trade Assistance Allowance, must trade a 2009 model or newer with less than 100,000 miles on the odometer. See dealer for complete details.

This particular Kia has 3 grand of crap added to it. Window etching, pinstripe, cloth Scotchguard and paint protection THREE GRAND WORTH?????????????????????????????????

>>> and that dealer fee ( $989.00) <<< a total rip off

the above is why I hate slimy car dealers also anyone ever hear of Fucillo Kia he is he largest Kia dealer in the USA, He pushes tv"s a cruise and other "gifts" when you buy a car there

SORRY, BUT I WANT A CAR NOT A TRIP... It's NOT """"""""" FREE""""""""""" THE CUSTOMER IS PAYING FOR IT.................

Are people REALLY that gullible??

that kia info for the dealer fees is not Fucilllo.. its a HUGE dealer that competes with him and has been around for 20 years.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:47 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I sold cars briefly when I first moved to Florida. This state has the most ridiculous dealer fee’s in the country ranging from $700 - $1000. In NYC its only $75. The only reason I even purchased a new car in the state of FL was because the dealer fee was waved in addition to paying $4k under invoice.

Some dealers even started charging “reconditioning fee’s” in upwards of $1500 as well as “Certification fee’s” for CPO vehicles in upwards of $2000 on top of the dealer fee.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I sold cars briefly when I first moved to Florida. This state has the most ridiculous dealer fee’s in the country ranging from $700 - $1000. In NYC its only $75. The only reason I even purchased a new car in the state of FL was because the dealer fee was waved in addition to paying $4k under invoice.

Some dealers even started charging “reconditioning fee’s” in upwards of $1500 as well as “Certification fee’s” for CPO vehicles in upwards of $2000 on top of the dealer fee.

I don't get how or better yet WHY customers still pay it??? If everyone said NO perhaps this robbery would stop??? I am looking for a new car taking my time it's my money and I will take as long as it takes!!

I wonder if it's possible to buy a brand new car online?? I see you can used with places like Carvana but they do not sell new just used.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I don't get how or better yet WHY customers still pay it??? If everyone said NO perhaps this robbery would stop??? I am looking for a new car taking my time it's my money and I will take as long as it takes!!

I wonder if it's possible to buy a brand new car online?? I see you can used with places like Carvana but they do not sell new just used.
In my experience, Autonation seems to be a pretty solid company to buy a new car from. Yes they charge a dealer fee just like every other dealership in the state, but what I’ve noticed is, they dont have all these hidden fee’s and new car addendums such as mud flaps, pin-striping, paint protection, etc, for a ridiculous price.

Reach out to the Internet Dept and have them give you a final out the door price in writing. Many dealers wont do it as they know that you’ll just shop their price around to see who can beat it. Autonation is pretty good at giving you out the door numbers in writing. If a dealership wont do it, then X them off your list.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
In my experience, Autonation seems to be a pretty solid company to buy a new car from. Yes they charge a dealer fee just like every other dealership in the state, but what I’ve noticed is, they dont have all these hidden fee’s and new car addendums such as mud flaps, pin-striping, paint protection, etc, for a ridiculous price.

Reach out to the Internet Dept and have them give you a final out the door price in writing. Many dealers wont do it as they know that you’ll just shop their price around to see who can beat it. Autonation is pretty good at giving you out the door numbers in writing. If a dealership wont do it, then X them off your list.

I do not want to pay a dealer fee I rather travel outta state get one and drive it back IF I can find a Ford dealer that does not charge a dealer fee. Thee is one in Florida BUT......... their prices are HIGHER than the dealer that charges a dealer fee. Again, makes you wonder whos honest.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I do not want to pay a dealer fee I rather travel outta state get one and drive it back IF I can find a Ford dealer that does not charge a dealer fee. Thee is one in Florida BUT......... their prices are HIGHER than the dealer that charges a dealer fee. Again, makes you wonder whos honest.
There are dealerships who advertise “no dealer fee” and just include the dealer fee in the asking price. One way or another, you’re going to pay it. What I will suggest is, go in and work out a deal. At the very tell them that if they can reduce the price of the car for the amount of the dealer fee then they have a deal.

When it comes to buying a car, your presence is your leverage. If you’re in the showroom floor and seem to be a serious buyer, you’ll get a much better deal. Don’t hesitate to walk and tell them you want to sleep on it. Last thing they want is a potential buyer walking out. They will give you a bottom line price before they let you walk out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive