Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Presuming there is a production backlog like there was with the Model 3, you’ll be one of the first to get a vehicle.

I don’t see the benefit in being first. We’re about a month in to our Model 3 lease and I’m very happy. This is the first vehicle I’ve ever leased. We usually buy 2 year old Toyotas and keep them forever. The lease was a bit of risk mitigation on my end. I think there will be a lot more EV options in 3 years and I don’t want to be stuck.

We’ve got about 1,000 miles on it and no real issues except a few annoyances dealing with Tesla on ordering parts (charging cable adapter and garage door opener.)

The car makes driving fun again and waking up to a full tank every morning is awesome.
no homelink?

Agree that pre-ordering provides little advantage now. I think the Model 3 was different as they were still eligible for the full tax-credit. There will be no more credits for Tesla's come 2020. So unless you need to be the first one driving around in a Y, no need to give up the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
no homelink?

Agree that pre-ordering provides little advantage now. I think the Model 3 was different as they were still eligible for the full tax-credit. There will be no more credits for Tesla's come 2020. So unless you need to be the first one driving around in a Y, no need to give up the money.
Home Link is an add on with the Model 3 and had to be ordered separately for $300. They couldn’t have it ready when i picked up the car. As I said, annoying. On the plus side, I think it automatically opens your garage door as you pull up based on location.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What you’re looking for is probably another few years out. Nobody makes a system that that’s trustworthy yet.
The reason Tesla makes you grab the wheel now is because people were getting killed trusting the system too much while sleeping and watching movies. Cadillac allows you to drive hands free but it monitors you to ensure you’re paying attention.
If you just want relief from working the gas pedal in bumper to bumper traffic, adaptive cruise with stop and go is pretty common now.
If it's not full level 3 auto, all of these current assists will kill people who trust the system and not realize the real world is dynamic.

You can't predict what can happen and you can't assume you have lightning reflexes that can just take over in just a nick of time. So many have won the Tesla autopilot darwin awards.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i see the model y is apparently coming out fall 2020 but they let you order on their web site. is their any benefit to ordering early or is it just to give tesla $2,500 to play with?
You lock in the price which they may change later.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:52 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Home Link is an add on with the Model 3 and had to be ordered separately for $300. They couldn’t have it ready when i picked up the car. As I said, annoying. On the plus side, I think it automatically opens your garage door as you pull up based on location.
WTF?

Had to do a quick google - https://electrek.co/2019/05/31/tesla...s-aftermarket/

Talk about nickle and diming. If you are going to make this an option - why not just go smart door retrofits then?

It doesn't quite open it by itself (unless they've enhanced it now that it's a paid option). When we pull up to the driveway, the homelink button will appear/dropdown on the top of your screen (next to the dashcam logo). We only have one garage programmed, but presumably if you had multiple, it would probably drop down the appropriate one.

Honestly - not sure I want it to open automatically from a security perspective.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
You lock in the price which they may change later.
i thought that was possible but i didnt notice it mentioned on the site when i started the order. im not sure of the likelihood that would lead to a savings.

it seems like the front runner right now being electric and likely the best self driving but once im waiting that long id like to see if anyone else has a better offering.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:16 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If it's not full level 3 auto, all of these current assists will kill people who trust the system and not realize the real world is dynamic.

You can't predict what can happen and you can't assume you have lightning reflexes that can just take over in just a nick of time. So many have won the Tesla autopilot darwin awards.
A lot of companies are planning to skip Level 3 because they don’t trust the driver would be actually able to take over smoothly if requested.
https://auto2xtech.com/volvo-to-skip...tonomous-mode/

I read somewhere that Google found even their engineers would get too distracted to be able to take over when required.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
A lot of companies are planning to skip Level 3 because they don’t trust the driver would be actually able to take over smoothly if requested.
https://auto2xtech.com/volvo-to-skip...tonomous-mode/

I read somewhere that Google found even their engineers would get too distracted to be able to take over when required.
These days, the most common thing people do when not driving is check their phones and there's no time to take over the wheel if your mind is elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
so i took a model 3 performance version for a test drive. i liked it. it was a nice smooth ride and it has very impressive acceleration. however, i have been driving small suv's for years and i think it would be a mistake to get a car. i liked the speed but much more important for me is self driving. we tested that and ultimately it was a combo of adaptive cruise control with whatever its called when the car keeps you in the same lane. i liked it a lot however its my understanding that those things are available in other cars. but really i think it is pretty reasonable pricewise once you compare it to other cars with that technology and i also do want electric. so maybe the right move is in fact to wait for the model y.

the kid at the tesla dealer guessed that it would be FSD ready in around 6 months. he didnt seem to have any inside information though and i think he is probably wrong since i dont think the regulation to allow it is there. he said that it would probably cost more like 12k vs the current 6k when FSD does become available indicating it makes sense to get that option while its 6k. again, i dont think he has inside information. that would suggest that it may be wise to put a deposit on the model y to save the price (if that is honored). its my understanding that it is refundable so its not a loss unless tesla goes bankrupt.

ill add a couple more of my opinions. i very much like the sparseness of the cabin. there are very few knobs and buttons in the car and that is consistent with my personal preference for less. id even prefer it if that computer monitor was integrated into the dash board and not sticking out. i also like that the tesla is a non-distinct looking car. i dont want anything that draws attention or appears expensive. i may even pop off the tesla symbol and some people may think its a corolla passing by. that is great for me.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 09-17-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive