Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:12 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,622,030 times

Advertisements

Also, stop focusing so much on the dealer fee and instead focus on the bottom line price. It is possible to pay a lower out the door price for a car at a dealership who has a higher dealer fee than a dealer ship that charges a lower dealer fee or no fee at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 06:19 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,335,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Also, stop focusing so much on the dealer fee and instead focus on the bottom line price. It is possible to pay a lower out the door price for a car at a dealership who has a higher dealer fee than a dealer ship that charges a lower dealer fee or no fee at all.

Exactly. I determine the driveout price - absolute total price I want to pay - for a vehicle and I couldn't care less how the dealer gets there.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:32 PM

251 posts, read 240,905 times
Quote:
There are dealerships who advertise “no dealer fee” and just include the dealer fee in the asking price. One way or another, you’re going to pay it. What I will suggest is, go in and work out a deal. At the very tell them that if they can reduce the price of the car for the amount of the dealer fee then they have a deal.

When it comes to buying a car, your presence is your leverage. If you’re in the showroom floor and seem to be a serious buyer, you’ll get a much better deal. Don’t hesitate to walk and tell them you want to sleep on it. Last thing they want is a potential buyer walking out. They will give you a bottom line price before they let you walk out.
I tried that at a few places and one let me walk for a 500 dollar difference, I was looking at the exact same vehicle equipped the same way at another dealer and they offered me the deal for the 500 less that I was trying to get from the other.. Wonder why one can do it and another wont? Like I said I have tons of time and not ina hurry and I want a great deal. And I cannot wait for when I finally give in and get the car and the sales guy to says we made nothing on this deal. I surely will walk out and not buy

I hate liars

Old 08-18-2019, 06:49 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,622,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I tried that at a few places and one let me walk for a 500 dollar difference, I was looking at the exact same vehicle equipped the same way at another dealer and they offered me the deal for the 500 less that I was trying to get from the other.. Wonder why one can do it and another wont? Like I said I have tons of time and not ina hurry and I want a great deal. And I cannot wait for when I finally give in and get the car and the sales guy to says we made nothing on this deal. I surely will walk out and not buy

I hate liars
Seems like you’re making the process harder than it needs to be. Do your research and see what is a fair price to pay.

If you’re going to spend months on end trying to find and unreasonable deal, then you’re only going to aggravate yourself.

It’s a car. It’s going to lose value the moment you sign on the dotted line and drive off the lot regardless of how good a deal you get.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:57 PM

251 posts, read 240,905 times
Quote:
Seems like you’re making the process harder than it needs to be. Do your research and see what is a fair price to pay.

If you’re going to spend months on end trying to find and unreasonable deal, then you’re only going to aggravate yourself.

It’s a car. It’s going to lose value the moment you sign on the dotted line and drive off the lot regardless of how good a deal you get.
I hear ya... I have a friend that got the same car no trade for 18500 and I cannot come close a grand away so since I am in no rush I will keep on or keep what I have

Old 08-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,874 posts, read 81,907,203 times
I’ve never seen one that high and I don’t mind such a fee when I have negotiated as much as $11,000 off the price (2017 F150). Here they call it a document fee. Here it averages $145, in Florida $607 but some as high as $999, and it’s the highest in the country.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM

1,760 posts, read 1,721,239 times
I've purchased two new cars in my life, obviously both from new car dealers., as well as three used cars from dealers. I've not seen dealer fees nearly that high here in Minnesota.

All the rest of my cars I've purchased from private citizens selling their car due to the sentiment expressed here by many others. I'm sure there are honorable dealers and individual car sales people....but the way far to many of them (dealers and/or sales people) operate, makes me absolutely know I'm getting played/gammed/taken advantage of, in some fashion. They sometimes disguise it well, but you KNOW it's there in the numbers somewhere.

They always have to "check" with the sales manager to see if your offering price will be accepted. Seriously??? You mean the sales manager doesn't have a set minimum price on each vehicle ahead of time? Sure....it's because it "floats". How big of a sucker do you think this buyer is? Is his spouse along? Do they appear knowledgeable? Do you have his keys in your pocket? Are they in love with the car they are looking at?

It's nothing but a circus side show where you know 95% of the time you're getting played.

The two new cars I did purchase went very well. The sales person was straight forward, there was no trade, have gave me his price when I came back from my trial ride (alone mind you), including applicable rebates, and I accepted having done my fair pricing research ahead of time. He even called me a few weeks later to say there was a $500 dollar "auto show" rebate that came along after I purchased (I had ordered the car from the factory), but before car was delivered.

I know auto dealers, as does every business, needs a profit. I don't mind paying one. What I hate is "floating" prices depending on circumstances having NOTHING to do with the value of the car in question. The dealer game playing is what drives me to buy from private parties. I've had very good luck with that.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,068,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Exactly. I determine the driveout price - absolute total price I want to pay - for a vehicle and I couldn't care less how the dealer gets there.
That is it.

Sadly, some just don't get that concept. For whatever reason some find it difficult to negotiate that way.

Just ask for the out the door bottom line all fees included price. And if they still after all of this attempt to add a fee - be prepared to walk out the door.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:41 AM

7,238 posts, read 9,418,986 times
Bottom line is the only number that matters.

I couldn't care less about all the BS attached to various fees.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:55 AM

13,304 posts, read 8,542,633 times
I work from True cost to dealer. If they are worth an 8-12% markup to cover immediate cost, then that is what we work from.
I give zero thought to the Sticker price.

I worked in accounting for a dealership. So I knew the avg markup and add on fees that most assumed they had to pay.

One car came in at our cost 9200$ yet we sticker priced it at 14500. Didn't cost us a dime to slap that price on the car. then when someone negotiated it down to 12900 we still made 3700$ for it to sit there. in the consumers mind they "thought" they were getting a nice discount near 2k off! Yet in reality they were forking over 3700$ more then the cost. If you wish to live your life paying 35% more and losing 20% the moment you leave the lot, have at it. Who says the dealer or sales person deserves 3700$ ,your guilty conscious to keep capitalism alive?

I refused to pay marketing fee ( you know so they could put their logo on YOUR car). I refused to pay the 150$ title and reg. Instead I told them that the Dept of Trans charged 92. and that is what I would pay.
I also made it clear that I wasn't going to pay for their "prep" fee of 450.00 . For them to vacuum out the car and give it a 15$ wash job. I did say 100$ was fair since it did cost them that much to fill the tank and clean it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive