Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
You aren't doing the math properly because you are assuming the sticker mileage is what you'd really get. In the real world, a hybrid gets sticker mpg or better, and a non-hybrid gets far worse because the EPA cycle is very gentle.

For example my VW Golf Alltrack is rated 22/32 but in mixed driving I get 21mpg. My Ford C-Max hybrid got 35mpg.

But you should probably keep the Prius anyway, that's still a pretty new car
I get 30mpg combined. The window sticker says I should get 24mpg combined. I get 28mpg on road-trips doing 75-85mph. The sticker EPA rating is 27mpg. I have a turbocharged Mazda CX5. Not hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 1,378 times
Yes my Prius can still handle some miles, but I need a vehicle that can handle all conditions (with in reason) no matter what, as the show must go in even if there is a lot of snow. Also, it’s got a timing cover leak (quoted at $2500 to repair) and front leaking struts ($1500). The Prius has 130xxx miles. Yeah I was looking at the foresters too. It seems like as long as the vehicle gets around 30mpg with awd, I should be more focused on value and reliability over mpg’s. The Crosstrek seems like an idea too. Is the Rav4 hybrid awd really $10k better than the hrv, or other $25k awd vehicles? I suppose the rav4 xle with some added options could be cheaper than the xse too

Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Get more repair quotes those numbers are ridiculous. First are you sure your struts are leaking? That seems not likely at such low miles.

I can promise you your job is not that important that you need to drive in blizzards. Be a responsible person and stay off the roads when it's snowing hard. When I drive to work in my FWD car I see 4x4 cars on the side of the road...quite humorous actually.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:25 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acs5000 View Post
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for a little assistance and to open a discussion about vehicle cost vs fuel efficiency, and to get some pointers/advice. I am in search of a new car, and am currently driving a 2013 Prius. I just got a new job in residential property management, and I drive about 100 miles a day (sometimes more), about 60/40 highway city percentage. I live in Minnesota and will now need a vehicle with awd that can handle snow very well since the show must go on even in snowy conditions. My Prius is on its last legs, with repairs outweighing it’s current value, and need something reliable that can handle all season conditions.

The issue I am running into is vehicle cost vs mpg. I get anywhere from $700-1000/month just in mileage reimbursement and have an excellent credit score. I would like to use this solely for the financing for a new vehicle. But is it worth getting a more expensive vehicle that has better mpg? For example, the 2019 rav4 hybrid gets around 39 combined and is about $35k (for the xse, as I would much prefer as many safety and convenience options as possible). However the Honda hr-v ex is only $25k at 28 combined. This equates to about $4500 in fuel cost difference over five years. So the true cost to own is lower for five years. The hr-v numbers are similar to the Subaru Crosstrek too, which offers me a much lower apr then Honda and Toyota. There is also the option of certified used.

I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do! All I want is a vehicle that is within my budget (up to $35k at max) that has all I want (awd, clearance, good gas mileage, modern safety features, longevity). But is a $35k car at 39mpg really worth the extra cost over a $25k car at 29mpg? Considering it only costs $4000 more in gas over 5 years? Any help, advise, or guidance from you all would be so appreciated!
This is probably going to be seen as a dumb comment, but have you run the numbers on moving closer to work such that you don't have to drive a hundred miles per day? Or, getting a lower paying job closer by, and using the vehicle expense (not even mentioning your commute time) to make up for the lower wage?

I was only driving twenty miles per day (urban, maybe 25-30 minutes each way in good traffic. but I had my share of 45 minute trips) and I hated that at the end, and would have loved to live closer to work. A friend worked for a local school district for his whole career (never more than two miles from work) and absolutely loved it, he could own a beater, bicycle, even walk if he wanted. Believe me, I was jealous.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:28 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acs5000 View Post
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for a little assistance and to open a discussion about vehicle cost vs fuel efficiency, and to get some pointers/advice. I am in search of a new car, and am currently driving a 2013 Prius. I just got a new job in residential property management, and I drive about 100 miles a day (sometimes more), about 60/40 highway city percentage. I live in Minnesota and will now need a vehicle with awd that can handle snow very well since the show must go on even in snowy conditions. My Prius is on its last legs, with repairs outweighing it’s current value, and need something reliable that can handle all season conditions.

The issue I am running into is vehicle cost vs mpg. I get anywhere from $700-1000/month just in mileage reimbursement and have an excellent credit score. I would like to use this solely for the financing for a new vehicle. But is it worth getting a more expensive vehicle that has better mpg? For example, the 2019 rav4 hybrid gets around 39 combined and is about $35k (for the xse, as I would much prefer as many safety and convenience options as possible). However the Honda hr-v ex is only $25k at 28 combined. This equates to about $4500 in fuel cost difference over five years. So the true cost to own is lower for five years. The hr-v numbers are similar to the Subaru Crosstrek too, which offers me a much lower apr then Honda and Toyota. There is also the option of certified used.

I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do! All I want is a vehicle that is within my budget (up to $35k at max) that has all I want (awd, clearance, good gas mileage, modern safety features, longevity). But is a $35k car at 39mpg really worth the extra cost over a $25k car at 29mpg? Considering it only costs $4000 more in gas over 5 years? Any help, advise, or guidance from you all would be so appreciated!
Get the HRV...you'll never make up the difference in gas savings and Honda's hold there value very well.,

Old 08-23-2019, 04:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Get more repair quotes those numbers are ridiculous. First are you sure your struts are leaking? That seems not likely at such low miles.

I can promise you your job is not that important that you need to drive in blizzards. Be a responsible person and stay off the roads when it's snowing hard. When I drive to work in my FWD car I see 4x4 cars on the side of the road...quite humorous actually.
Actually, yes, some of us DO have jobs that are important.

Get good tires. Get a competent AWD vehicle. BE CAREFUL! It's done me a solid!

Otherwise, notify your job to send law enforcement with chains, etc. to come and get you. That is also an option, typically, for those of us who do work that is important.

My Mazda CX5 has, so far, made that unnecessary, though, thankfully!

One thing I do note is that a lot of people are huge about "Snow tires". I tried Nokian WRG3's, and they didn't impress me. My Continental Cross Contacts have done VERY well in hard snows, etc. without being dangerous in the rain or slush like snow tires.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
My Continental Cross Contacts have done VERY well in hard snows, etc. without being dangerous in the rain or slush like snow tires.
I had Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on my Jag X-type Estate and they performed very well in snow as well.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Actually, yes, some of us DO have jobs that are important.

Get good tires. Get a competent AWD vehicle. BE CAREFUL! It's done me a solid!

Otherwise, notify your job to send law enforcement with chains, etc. to come and get you. That is also an option, typically, for those of us who do work that is important.

My Mazda CX5 has, so far, made that unnecessary, though, thankfully!

One thing I do note is that a lot of people are huge about "Snow tires". I tried Nokian WRG3's, and they didn't impress me. My Continental Cross Contacts have done VERY well in hard snows, etc. without being dangerous in the rain or slush like snow tires.
Wow you're super important and cool!!!

Are you also a residential property manager? Because that is what the OP is working as. And who I responded to. I didn't quote you.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:16 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You've already done the math.
You will never get that money back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You just did the math. You’ve answered your own question.

The problem with the math is that gas cost over the next 5 years is anyone's guess.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
Quote:
I sometimes drive when its raining, and also I have steep roads. I use AWD literally every day. Most others drive in the rain, too.
How is that using AWD? Are you starting on a slick, steep incline? Driving straight or cornering doesn't drive all wheels at all times, nor does it require it. AWD handles worse period. It understeers like a FWD car until you give it gas at the right time, then it oversteers. It's very hard to get neutral handling out of, and manufacturers that don't sell supercars won't make them do anything but understeer from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
You aren't doing the math properly because you are assuming the sticker mileage is what you'd really get. In the real world, a hybrid gets sticker mpg or better, and a non-hybrid gets far worse because the EPA cycle is very gentle.

For example my VW Golf Alltrack is rated 22/32 but in mixed driving I get 21mpg. My Ford C-Max hybrid got 35mpg.
My FiST is rated at 29 combined. I get about that and I am anything but gentile. It goes 0-60 in 6 seconds and quarter mile in 15.0, which I test frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All those answers and none considering that maybe the price of gas will go up?
IRS rate adjusts a little bit with average fuel rates. Back when gas was $5+, rates were higher per mile.
However thats a nationwide number, it doesn't take into account filling up in CT where gas is $0.30 more expensive than MA gas, etc.

Quote:
My Vermont friends (I live in MA) mostly drive FWD cars and I have done that myself in the worst that VT can throw at me (skiing). A lot of people may not like to hear this, but AWD is largely a scam. Most people - during the life of their AWD cars, rarely use it.
A FWD car with snow tires would be the best. A RWD car with snow tires would be the most fun.

AWD cars are the best for taking off in a straight line on street tires. I've been able to turn 1.6s 60' times on AWD cars on street tires.

Unless you need ground clearance - crap roads or unplowed roads. Then you need a truck, the end. AWD station wagons like a CRV or Highlander aren't going work, they'll bottom out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive