Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 07:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times

Advertisements

It's not a large phone. It's behind my butt when I'm sitting, don't even feel it.
Most of the time i don't even carry it and I often go for days without even looking at it.

I don't care about phones. At all.
I like cars. Driving is the entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 02:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
More like Mr. Caldwell confused SD and CD...
Why would you haul CDs around in a car where they will just get ruined? Rip them to mp3 and you can carry your whole music collection on your cell phone. That cheap and simple work-around has been available for years. It also doesn't require buying and installing a new sound system.

If the OP doesn't have a computer with a CD player, stand-alone solutions have been available for decades. Back in 1966 a friend had a record player/FM transmitter that ran off the cigarette lighter plug. This is not high tech.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I once tried the FM transmitter in a previous vehicle more than ten years ago. Audio quality was lower than the local FM radio station broadcast. Guess our best and most affordable option will be using the laptop to transfer our CDs onto reduced quality recording and then transfer those recordings onto a thumb drive. Using Bluetooth adds a further reduction in audio quality below the reduction from CD to the digital audio format used to store the music on phone, MP3 player, or thumb drive.
A high fidelity mobile sound system is going to cost you way more than $15. The idea that you can tell the difference in quality between a CD and a 256k mp3 over road noise is a fantasy.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:57 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Wife’s new car doesn’t come with CD player, like many other new vehicles today. Have aftermarket companies come up with a way of connecting an aftermarket CD player to the existing factory head unit without cutting into the dash? Do they still have CD player/changers that can be mounted in the trunk and controlled by the head unit of factory stereos? How expensive would it be to have something like this installed?
What is a City-Data (CD) player?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:55 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Wife’s new car doesn’t come with CD player, like many other new vehicles today. Have aftermarket companies come up with a way of connecting an aftermarket CD player to the existing factory head unit without cutting into the dash? Do they still have CD player/changers that can be mounted in the trunk and controlled by the head unit of factory stereos? How expensive would it be to have something like this installed?
You don't have to "cut" into the dash. Dashboards are modular and snap together in pieces... And a professional installer can put a new system in in just a matter of minutes - far from major surgery on your car.

Also as others have said, CD's are dead.. For ~$100 now you can get a very fine system that has bluetooth and USB connections for MP3's..

Old 09-03-2019, 01:24 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Why would you haul CDs around in a car where they will just get ruined? Rip them to mp3 and you can carry your whole music collection on your cell phone. That cheap and simple work-around has been available for years. It also doesn't require buying and installing a new sound system.

If the OP doesn't have a computer with a CD player, stand-alone solutions have been available for decades. Back in 1966 a friend had a record player/FM transmitter that ran off the cigarette lighter plug. This is not high tech.
I am not really interested in the "why". OP asked a specific question, you deflected it onto a completely different topic, apparently by choice rather than mistake. Here's what it sounds like:

OP: How do I add roof rails to a wagon to move a mattress?
You: You should buy a truck.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:15 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
My phone is not paired to my car and I will not answer it while I'm driving.
It stays in my back pocket.

Mine stays in my pocket and yet I listen to Spotify on the road with no issues. You realize you can set it as you get into the car, put it in your pocket (and it should NOT be the back pocket anyhow) and let it run from there. I do that with my pre-made playlists ripped form my CD, as well. It's just. not. that. difficult. Certainly no more difficult than popping out a CD while driving and looking around for the next CD to pop in. And no more onerous than changing the radio station on your car's stock stereo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive