Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 08:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,368,434 times

Advertisements

I have a perfectly fine mini cooper hardtop 2-door with 33K miles. It has nav, heads up display and the sport package. Love the size and the way it drives. BUT, I do dog rescue and need 4 doors. Also would prefer power hatch for putting in groceries. Also go to lunch with girlfriends and when its my turn to drive have to drive our other car, which I don’t like driving. Also my DH uses the mini alot for local driving (other car Caddy SRX) and its a manual driver seat which is a real PITA to constantly change the seat.

Since I am 70 years old, this will likely be my last car. And since I am 70 years old WTH not get something kind of classy. I looked at the Forester (sluggish), the Mazda CX5 (didn’t like)

Looking at:

BMW X1 sdrive 280i
Lexus NX300
Mercedes GLA 250

I like the BMW for the drive (I like a spunky car), the Lexus for the plush, and Mercedes for the size.

Comments? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 10:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
The NX competes more with the Mercedes GLC, Acura RDX, and BMW X3 as opposed to the X1 and the GLA. The compact size would tend to be better for dog rescue, especially if you need to have more than one crate in the car. The X1 is an excellent subcompact, and you should be able to fit a couple of crates in the hatch area without too much fuss.

The GLA doesn't have the same level of utility, since the hatch is sloped and it's based on the lower-end Mercedes, whereas the GLC feels and handles much more substantially for somewhat of a premium, but perhaps not too much more than a GLA.

I'd also look at an RDX if you want a good blend between handling and comfort, sort of a cross between a Lexus and a BMW, especially in the A-Spec trim. The RDX also has a good cargo hold, and has usable seats, something else that can be an issue in the cramped rear of a GLA.

If you want a subcompact, I'd look at the X1. If you want a compact, from your list, I'd get the Lexus, but would also recommend checking the RDX and the GLC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-21-2019, 11:47 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,951,067 times
Lexus NX is the biggest one here. Check out Lexus UX, which is same size as MB GLA.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 8,368,434 times
Thanks; I was looking at 2019 Certified cars (retired demos) under 8K miles. So I had it down to 3 specific cars and wound up purchasing the BMW sdrive 280i with the convenience package. 3440 miles. I was intending to pay cash but there were incentives to finance so I wrote a check for all but $7800 (will pay off at first payment due) and the car cost me $31,400. It came with the certified warranty (5 years unlimited miles) but is registered as a new car since it was a retired demo.

Has Nav; power sunroof, etc. Drives great. Maybe because it was near the end of the month and also the new 2020’s are out, but I am happy with the deal. (Altho I saw same mileage on a AWD 2018 BMW X1 for same price I paid, of course not certified at Carmax)

Old 09-23-2019, 03:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,996,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have a perfectly fine mini cooper hardtop 2-door with 33K miles. It has nav, heads up display and the sport package. Love the size and the way it drives. BUT, I do dog rescue and need 4 doors. Also would prefer power hatch for putting in groceries. Also go to lunch with girlfriends and when its my turn to drive have to drive our other car, which I don’t like driving. Also my DH uses the mini alot for local driving (other car Caddy SRX) and its a manual driver seat which is a real PITA to constantly change the seat.

Since I am 70 years old, this will likely be my last car. And since I am 70 years old WTH not get something kind of classy. I looked at the Forester (sluggish), the Mazda CX5 (didn’t like)

Looking at:

BMW X1 sdrive 280i
Lexus NX300
Mercedes GLA 250

I like the BMW for the drive (I like a spunky car), the Lexus for the plush, and Mercedes for the size.

Comments? Suggestions?
I chose the cx5 as it outperforms the ones you listed, but if you dont like it, why not consider the Audi Q5 or GLC300? They offer similar performance to the cx5 at least. Similar the RDX.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:15 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Thanks; I was looking at 2019 Certified cars (retired demos) under 8K miles. So I had it down to 3 specific cars and wound up purchasing the BMW sdrive 280i with the convenience package. 3440 miles. I was intending to pay cash but there were incentives to finance so I wrote a check for all but $7800 (will pay off at first payment due) and the car cost me $31,400. It came with the certified warranty (5 years unlimited miles) but is registered as a new car since it was a retired demo.

Has Nav; power sunroof, etc. Drives great. Maybe because it was near the end of the month and also the new 2020’s are out, but I am happy with the deal. (Altho I saw same mileage on a AWD 2018 BMW X1 for same price I paid, of course not certified at Carmax)
That is a pretty good deal for a CPO BMW. I am sure that it will serve you well for many safe miles. Congratulations on the new crossover!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,761,805 times
I just had a BMW X1 courtesy car for a day. While a decent car, I just don't see it worth $35-40k. Fairly comfortable seats and good handling. Otherwise bland interior. But the stop-start feature was annoying. It did not engage smoothly when you took your foot off the brake. I had a Chevy Malibu rental a couple months ago and the stop-start feature was much smoother.

Though I don't have any experience with the other cars, I would lean towards a Lexus NX300. Perhaps with the Sport package if you want a little extra "spunk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive