Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:47 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times

Advertisements

Eaton 53, thanks for the detail. So it looks like I should definitely see:
4WD Tahoe LT
GMC Yukon SLT
Ford Expedition XLT
Nissan Armada

Any recommendation for Buick?

Lincolns and Caddy's noted as too expensive.

I'm not sure on Toyota Sequoia. I remember looking at it in the past and having to climb up to get into it which doesn't work well with a bad back. Any of the above you would take off the list above because of how hard they are to get into? If my memory is faulty I will definitely look at it again. Again loving the minivans with the easy in and out access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Any recommendation for Buick?
IMO, Buick won't meet your longetivity requirement.
To see if you can get in and out, just go to the dealer, get in and sit in it.
If there's an issue, you can cross them off quickly.

I don't have the greatest back myself and haven't noticed any issues with these.
They usually have running boards to make getting in and out easy.
If it doesn't have them, see if there's one that does. They are an add-on item.

Try a Sienna too. If the seats and ride quality is acceptable, it'll be WAY cheaper than these SUVs.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:04 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Look at Ford Edge's, mine rides like a dream.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Look at Ford Edge's, mine rides like a dream.
Thanks! I just looked it up and read this about the Edge's ride:
The Edge prioritizes comfort over agility. Its suspension facilitates a smooth ride with minimal jostling from rough roads. Its handling is composed and mild mannered, though it leans around corners and sharp turns.

I will add it to the list.
4WD Tahoe LT
GMC Yukon SLT
Ford Expedition XLT
Nissan Armada
Ford Edge

I'm not currently adding the Lexus RX because I'm familiar with the car as I own the old model and my friend owns the newest one. Sienna is on my radar but not on the list as I have doubts regarding it having the proper ride with the AWD. Best price I've seen on the top trim, Limited premium, is $45K for both AWD and FWD so I'm not saving that much. I will definitely be test driving it soon to find out if it is a contender for ride quality.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I just looked it up and read this about the Edge's ride:
The Edge prioritizes comfort over agility. Its suspension facilitates a smooth ride with minimal jostling from rough roads. Its handling is composed and mild mannered, though it leans around corners and sharp turns.

I will add it to the list.
4WD Tahoe LT
GMC Yukon SLT
Ford Expedition XLT
Nissan Armada
Ford Edge

I'm not currently adding the Lexus RX because I'm familiar with the car as I own the old model and my friend owns the newest one. Sienna is on my radar but not on the list as I have doubts regarding it having the proper ride with the AWD. Best price I've seen on the top trim, Limited premium, is $45K for both AWD and FWD so I'm not saving that much. I will definitely be test driving it soon to find out if it is a contender for ride quality.
I've owned a Tahoe, an Escape and an Edge and have found the mid size class (Edge) to be the best combination of handling and ride.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Thanks! The first hand information and comparison is very helpful to me. If you took handling out of the equation, which had the softest ride?

Going to add the Hyundai Sante Fe. Found it by researching the Ford Edge. Also says it has the surround view camera which I really want. So current list:
4WD Tahoe LT
GMC Yukon SLT
Ford Expedition XLT
Nissan Armada
Ford Edge
Hyundai Santa Fe

Last edited by mic111; 09-15-2019 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks! The first hand information and comparison is very helpful to me. If you took handling out of the equation, which had the softest ride?

Going to add the Hyundai Sante Fe. Found it by researching the Ford Edge. Also says it has the surround view camera which I really want. So current list:
4WD Tahoe LT
GMC Yukon SLT
Ford Expedition XLT
Nissan Armada
Ford Edge
Hyundai Santa Fe
Go test drive them is the best advice I have, but a good portion of the time while driving especially on the hwy it feels like I'm flying or even standing still. The ride is pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Mine is a few years old with 18" wheels though, I've read the ride is rougher with 20"+ wheels.

Last edited by duke944; 09-15-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 02:34 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
I would like to know of mini-vans and SUVs that ride soft, cushy and disconnected from the road. I don't want to feel bumps and am content to corner slowly to enjoy my floaty ride. Can anyone suggest vehicles to look at?

I need a more upright seating position so sedans won't work. Specific trims will be helpful as I know they often have different tires or suspension elements that affect the ride.
Thanks!
If you are willing to experiement, you should try the Kia Telluride. I test drove it and had a nice ride quality. It feels very floaty which is often available only in luxury sedans . At a competitive price compared to the market leaders. However its only 290 HP with a 3.8 which may not be the ideal power for a large SUV.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:

4WD Tahoe LT
GMC Yukon SLT
Ford Expedition XLT
Nissan Armada
Ford Edge
Hyundai Santa Fe
Santa Fe is pathetic IMO . For a v6 its very rough and the response isnt good. I am surprised there is no RX on this list.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Just looked Kia Telluride up and two reviews said plush ride and one said harsh so I will give it a go since the SX trimline is showing a surround view camera.
Kia Telluride SX
At the top of the list is the SX trim. This Telluride has all of the above plus LED headlights and foglights, dual sunroofs, front parking sensors, an upgraded driver information display, interior ambient lighting, driver-seat memory functions, the second-row captain's chairs, a surround-view parking camera system...

New list:
4WD Tahoe LT - Can't find a surround view camera on the Tahoe, did I miss it?
GMC Yukon SLT - Can't find a surround view camera on the Yukon either.
Ford Expedition Platinum - 360-Degree Camera with Split View and Front/Rear Washer
Nissan Armada SL and Platinum - Around view monitor
Ford Edge - looks like it doesn't have the 360 degree view camera?
Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and Limited 2.0T - Have surround view. More sidewall 60 vs 55 on Limited vs Limited 2.0T.
Kia Telluride SX - Surround view.

While I will probably test drive those without the surround view camera to see if the ride is dramatically better than those with I must admit that after having a 360 degree camera on my current vehicle for over 5 years it is my favorite feature and one I'd be loath to go without.

There is no Lexus RX because I've already got one, albeit an old one, and my best friend has a new one so I have ridden in it and already know the ride. When you say the Sante Fe is rough do you mean the ride or some other aspect of the car like the engine transmission shifts rough?

I like your use of the word floaty. I definitely want a floaty drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive