Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 07:25 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,244 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple years or so, I've noticed more and more vehicles driving around with high beams at night when behind cars. It can be especially disruptive to have high profile vehicles with high beams behind a car where the lights can be very intense. Even adjusting the rear view mirror only helps to a degree, and the side mirrors still reflect the intense headlights. And it's not always possible to pull over and let these jerks pass on 2-lane roads.

In my view, I don't see a reason for someone to drive around with high beams if they are 10-20 feet behind another car. Once in a while I have had very aggressive drivers ride the bumper with high beams because they couldn't pass someone driving the speed limit, which is very dangerous, but I'm not talking about the occasional idiot. I'm seeing more and more people drive around with high beams on at night all the time.

Even on cars in the opposite lane, when I flash the high beams a couple times, they ignore it and don't turn down the beams. Anyone else experience this kind of thing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
The solution to this in the future will be automatic dimming of the mirrors and windshield. Cars should be able to give you lane assist and night vision of the roads.

High beam is a sure way to cause accidents on a 2 way street and cause animals to just freeze on the roads.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
The number of people who do not understand what high beams are, what they're for, and when not to use them, decreases every year.

I just chalk it up to "yet another person too stupid to drive".

Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,665 times
Are these due to high beams in all cases? Hi-intensity headlights (HID and LED) are much brighter than conventional headlights, and they have become more commonplace in the past few years. This might be the difference that you are seeing in some cases. But I can certainly believe that the average driver has no clue what that blue light on the dash means.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,799,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The solution to this in the future will be automatic dimming of the mirrors and windshield. Cars should be able to give you lane assist and night vision of the roads.

High beam is a sure way to cause accidents on a 2 way street and cause animals to just freeze on the roads.

My last two cars have had auto dimming rear view mirrors.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Yes, it's a violation to drive too close to someone with your high beams on, even if you're approaching from the rear. Unfortunately there's no effective way to signal to someone who is behind you to turn off their high beams (unless you have rear-facing floodlights installed, right?).

Shorter answer: people are jerks.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
My last two cars have had auto dimming rear view mirrors.
Mine has them too, but it's not a problem since my 4x4 F150 sits higher than most cars. I have noticed that my headlights will not affect many cars in front of me because they shoot over the top of them.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,847,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mine has them too, but it's not a problem since my 4x4 F150 sits higher than most cars. I have noticed that my headlights will not affect many cars in front of me because they shoot over the top of them.
You must have one hell of a lift because they certainly bother me in my stock F150 and my lifted Ram. My F150 has a slightly downward slope s it doesn't seem to affect others but I had to adjust my lights downward on my Ram after lifting.

I agree partly that part of the problem is the brighter, modern lighting.

But an other problem I feel is just the common lack of curtesy and ignorance of the actual driving rules. It's becoming more of a me, me, me world where people don't give a care about anybody else. As long as they can see just screw anybody else. Oncoming traffic just doesn't respond to one flashing his lights anymore and following drivers just don't seem to care. I wonder if they still teach that in driving class?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
You must have one hell of a lift because they certainly bother me in my stock F150 and my lifted Ram. My F150 has a slightly downward slope s it doesn't seem to affect others but I had to adjust my lights downward on my Ram after lifting.

I agree partly that part of the problem is the brighter, modern lighting.

But an other problem I feel is just the common lack of curtesy and ignorance of the actual driving rules. It's becoming more of a me, me, me world where people don't give a care about anybody else. As long as they can see just screw anybody else. Oncoming traffic just doesn't respond to one flashing his lights anymore and following drivers just don't seem to care. I wonder if they still teach that in driving class?
I think you are absolutely right about this. Lack of courtesy, to say the least, and not giving a darn about anyone else. Yes, oncoming traffic simply doesn't respond to flashing lights. Maybe some of that is the newer high intensity headlights that don't have to be on the high setting to be blinding in some cases. BTW, I think those high intensity headlights are banned in Canada.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, it's a violation to drive too close to someone with your high beams on, even if you're approaching from the rear. Unfortunately there's no effective way to signal to someone who is behind you to turn off their high beams (unless you have rear-facing floodlights installed, right?).

Shorter answer: people are jerks.
Definitely! Lots of jerks out there. All you can do is pull over, but that's not always possible. Some people do it to intimidate drivers to go faster, but that doesn't work with me. I drive the speed limit, but then people will do stupid stuff, like ride your bumper with high beams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive