Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Well that was my next question actually....I have always been a GM guy so that would be my first choice....But they are more costly than the other two,so I am open to suggestions...... I hear some of the Ford engines are good? And the Dodge, I'm not sure about but have some friends that have one and seem happy....?
Ive had one Chevy diesel - an 08. Loved that truck, even with DPF it got around 15 average. In comparison, my 13 5.3 gets about the same.

Ive only had one Ford diesel - 01 Powerjoke F350 Dually. (Navistar 7.3) Would I own another, nope. Try to find one around here thats not wore slam out, or the truck around it not beat all to crap.

Never had a Dodge Cummins, but my neighbor did. What do they call it, Big Horn, man what a truck. Finished off nicely, pulled like a mother. He only lived 3 years after he bought it, so he didnt really put alot of miles on it, but it never gave him a bit of trouble.

Now, if it were me, and it will be in about another 4 years when kid gets done with college, Ill be looking at another gasser, not a diesel. BUT in your csae, I see no reason to go with a 3/4 ton truck if all your pulling is a 2 horse trailer occasionally. Unless they are Clydesdales, just about any 1/2 ton will handle that fine now. Of course you truck and trailer need set up properly, like trailer brakes, etc. One of my friends does a god bit of "bobcat" work. Pulls his skid steer all over with a 2015 Ford F150 with the 5.0 just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:35 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Now, if it were me, and it will be in about another 4 years when kid gets done with college, Ill be looking at another gasser, not a diesel. BUT in your csae, I see no reason to go with a 3/4 ton truck if all your pulling is a 2 horse trailer occasionally. Unless they are Clydesdales, just about any 1/2 ton will handle that fine now. Of course you truck and trailer need set up properly, like trailer brakes, etc. One of my friends does a god bit of "bobcat" work. Pulls his skid steer all over with a 2015 Ford F150 with the 5.0 just fine.
Huh.....I just assumed that I would need a 3/4 ton. Our two horses are about average size, the girl mustang is actually on the small side. My current Chevy 1500 is the loaded version with the towing package that controls the brakes from inside......Where we are going is in the mountains and I'd hate to chance it.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Huh.....I just assumed that I would need a 3/4 ton. Our two horses are about average size, the girl mustang is actually on the small side. My current Chevy 1500 is the loaded version with the towing package that controls the brakes from inside......Where we are going is in the mountains and I'd hate to chance it.
Ah, then a 3/4 could be an advantage then. (Bigger brakes, etc.) A diesel would be better at pulling hills than a gasser.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
You can always get a gasser with a big motor. But ultimately a diesel will out pull a gasser like nobody’s business in the mountains. You know both my 7.3s are work horses when pulling.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Getting ready to sell my Chevy 1500 and upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Everyone seems to go to diesel when they go up to a 3/4 ton.....but some online research says maybe there are pros and cons to each.

Any thoughts? BTW The heaviest thing I'll be hauling is a two horse trailer....
Go diesel and it will cost you more.

They have put so many restrictions on the diesel engines that you can rebuild a gas twice and still save money over a diesel.

Guy on another webpage works at a company with diesel and gas trucks. The diesels have cost them more for repairs than the gassers....

If you go diesel, get one 2003 or older.... They didn't add a lot of clean air crap till later.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Back in the days when when I was weighing this decision, I did a ton of research and really, diesels are not worth it (unless you do extreme heavy duty towing frequently), but if you do this type of towing often, its actually more efficient to get a medium duty truck.

I heard from alot of people that diesels will last forever if they are maintained right, (up to a million miles), but when I looked at numerous classifieds, I didnt see ANY diesel trucks for sale, that had over 250K miles, I expected to see alot of diesel trucks from the 80s and 90s, but this wasnt the case, it was nearly all 2000s and up.

*I think the people that believe diesels can get a million miles are confusing that with heavy duty trucks (like tractor units), they do frequently see 800K+, but the light duty/pickup truck versions are not as long lasting.

Ive also never understood how the manufacturers justify charging what they do for the diesel upgrade, I kind of think the high price has more to do with the truck itself and less about the actual diesel engine, diesel engines are much heavier, so they require stronger frames, running gear, beefier suspension, etc (this is where the high upgrade price really is), in reality, a diesel engine (by itself, should be cheaper than a modern gas engine), simpler design and less parts.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
The most recent VW Touaregs have a towing capacity of 7716 pounds - gas or diesel.
https://www.google.com/search?client...owing+capacity

Old 09-19-2019, 05:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Diesel was more than gas....until I sold my diesel and bought a gasser.

It really isn't that big of a deal, it's just one of those things. My diesel truck would get between 16-18 mpg in the city and the gasser is getting 13-15.

On the freeway , not towing, diesel 20-21 , gasser my best so far has been 17 and some change.

Towing, diesel would get between 12-14 depending on load and speed. Gasser is getting 11-12.

It's a difference but when you look at the cost to step up to a diesel, that extra money will buy a lot of tankfuls of gas.

If you aren't towing on a regular basis... it isn't worth it. Just my opinion, and this is after owning three diesel vehicles.
You pay more for a diesel, but you get more when selling, it's pretty much awash. I tow everyday (but not a heavy load) and plow snow, I'll never go back to a gasser.

OP is this going to be your daily driver?

Last edited by wamer27; 09-19-2019 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will be buying used....
Go test drive a 7.3 Ford, I hated driving the 03 7.3 we had, the 05 GMC was light years better interior and more power. 7.3 oil pan turned to swiss cheese and it's a 17 hr job to replace it.

Last edited by wamer27; 09-19-2019 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 06:13 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Chevys are ok but I know some years had major injector issues.
2001-2004 had injector issues.

The 2006-2007 old body style is the one you want, but they bring some crazy money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive