Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:14 PM

401 posts, read 529,345 times

Advertisements

Make and model don't matter here. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them either way. Doesn't it just leak right back out - unless you have just replaced components and opened up the system and now have the leak fixed for sure? I mean - if you lost what was in there before and your AC started to blow only hot air - only a REALLY gradual, small leak would maybe take a while to lose the contents of the new can, right?

Or am I wrong? Went out yesterday and turned on my AC for the first time since last year - maybe October when it was blowing ice cold - and nothing but hot air. *ugh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
If your problem is just that the charge is low, yes. They work fine. I used them for a couple years on my truck, charging about once a year. Didn't work this year, though, so now I have to get it fixed.

Mike

Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
1. does AC comp kick in?
2. does the AC light up?
3. seen/done before. Is the temp dial on cold?
4. Yes, they do work. Your post is confusing though. It mentions complete system rebuilt then suddenly says "worked, does not work, nothing was done to it". So what is it? As it depends.
5. If you have leak, you do NOT know how small is it. It is a leak. AC system is very high pressure and "small" leaks leak out fast.

Anyhow, if comp does not kick in, you are stuck anyway. Unless you are boarder line low on freon, system will not suck it in from can as comp has to build vacuum.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:47 PM

505 posts, read 848,413 times
O-rings in the A/C system dry out if you don't run the A/C periodically in the fall & winter. Not saying that's the source of your leak but it's common.

Problem with those DIY cans is the crappy gauge. It's easy to overcharge and cause problems.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:07 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,636 times
Yes they do . My wife's 2005 Ford Expy was not blowing cold air, not even cool. I looked to having the system serviced.
$250 and up.
I did the re-charge . {READ DIRECTIONS TWICE} The ones with the gauge are better.
Still working a year latter.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 PM

749 posts, read 735,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Make and model don't matter here. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them either way. Doesn't it just leak right back out - unless you have just replaced components and opened up the system and now have the leak fixed for sure? I mean - if you lost what was in there before and your AC started to blow only hot air - only a REALLY gradual, small leak would maybe take a while to lose the contents of the new can, right?

Or am I wrong? Went out yesterday and turned on my AC for the first time since last year - maybe October when it was blowing ice cold - and nothing but hot air. *ugh*
Yes, they work. How long your system stays charged depends entirely on how bad the leak is.

I have one old Volvo that I add one can per year to. It works fine. Compared to the price of having the system rebuilt, I'll go this route as long as I can.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:29 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
If the refrigerant leak is minor, a modest cost recharge kit may be an economical alternative to expensive component replacement.

Many folk are able to put in a recharge can and get another year ... or two ... or more ... satisfactory A/C service.

A seeping front compressor seal might be enough loss to need a top up recharge each year. If you keep the car for several more years at the cost of a recharge can per year, it's a lot less expense than replacing the compressor/receiver-dryer/expansion valve, and perhaps a hose or two.

Of course, if the problem is a major leak, then appropriate repairs will be needed to keep the system functioning.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:41 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,887 times
I have found that they work, but if it is all out/empty, the system has to be vacuumed before refilling. To do this, you need the right tools and gauges.

Vacuum Pump - AC Vacuum Pump w/ R134A & R12 Connectors

Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Yes for a straight forward recharge they work well. I did a recharge on my 02 Toyota and on a 2000 chevrolet pickup.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:29 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
O-rings in the A/C system dry out if you don't run the A/C periodically in the fall & winter. Not saying that's the source of your leak but it's common.

Problem with those DIY cans is the crappy gauge. It's easy to overcharge and cause problems.
That's why the compressor comes on when Defrost is selected on most cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive