Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 PM

205 posts, read 603,079 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if most people (at least in Bay Area), just buy new fire extinguishers as needed for safeguard in homes. Or if anyone actually recharges them (for the ones that are rechargeable).

I did notice recently while browsing a Home Depot that they do carry rechargeable fire extinguishers. But if you can't easily recharge them, kinda useless after use. But at least they didn't cost much more than the non-rechargeable ones.

I ask this as we have an old rechargeable fire extinguisher lying around that could be recharged. Don't want it to go to waste, and if to recharge is cheaper than or same as buying new, I wouldn't mind recharging it.

I heard a while back that one could go to Fire Dept to get it recharged. But that might vary by locale. I recently stopped by my neighborhood Fire Dept and they said they don't do it and to lookup fire extinguisher recharge, etc. companies online. I did just that and found most are out of San Jose part of Bay Area, farther off. There was only one in San Jose, but that shop doesn't seem to be easy to go to (closed the two times I stopped by). If Fire Depts in San Jose do recharge, perhaps I went to the wrong one, or encountered some lazy firefighters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 17,682 times
I came online trying to find the same info..whether to recharge an old one here at the house or buy a new one. One thing I can tell you is that here in Orange County you do need to go to one of the fire protection companies to have it refilled. Fire departments do not do it. My neighbor is a fireman and his wife told me.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Thanks for comment. Good to know I'm not the only one considering recharges.

It's too bad there are not many businesses in the area (my area at least) that actually do recharges (or publicize it). It sucks to drive 20-50 miles to get a recharge.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Each year I have 29 extinguishers serviced at $12 each.

The mobile truck comes to the Hospital and does them in the parking lot.

Be aware that after 12 years??? the extinguishers have to be hydro tested... last time, I opted to buy new for $34 dollars because I would have needed loaners for the time the extinguishers were out for hydro and gave the old ones away...

Most extinguishers have a date code and that is how age is determined.

I let staff know a week ahead of time and some years there are anywhere from 10 to 30 extra ones for service...

Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Ultrarunner, which area are you referring to regarding the mobile truck & hospital?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
Ultrarunner, which area are you referring to regarding the mobile truck & hospital?
The Hospital is in the East Bay and the firm is Alameda-Contra Costa Fire Extinguisher Company. I know they also serve the Peninsula.

Also have used ACME Extinguisher in Oakland's Fruitvale District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose