Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 03:22 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Apparently you don’ get out much on the road that is. I’m willing to be at least 50% of people on this forum don’t use them.
Yep me included half the time, especially when I’m the only one on the road because i don’t want the critters to follow me lol. I bet you use them to pull into your driveway in a subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 04:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,568,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep me included half the time, especially when I’m the only one on the road because i don’t want the critters to follow me lol. I bet you use them to pull into your driveway in a subdivision.
Yeah ok....

Old 09-29-2019, 04:16 PM

14,263 posts, read 14,797,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I have a problem with the video. I never make a turn based on whether a driver has a turn signal on or not.
I agree. Do not trust the other driver.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:52 PM

9,457 posts, read 11,214,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Apparently you don’ get out much on the road that is. I’m willing to be at least 50% of people on this forum don’t use them.
Or 50% of the people on the road. That's my guesstimate for local city/highway traffic where I live.

And I guesstimate about 60% are distracted by their phones/whatevers, that includes the occasional cop. Distracted drivers are easy to spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I had to laugh at myself the other day. I live on a country lane and there may be one or two cars an hour on it during the day. I get to the end of my road running an early morning errand (5am) when there is NOBODY around. Sure enough my turn signal is blinking without my giving a conscious thought of using it. It's a reflex for me.
Good habit. A friend of mine long ago told me her husband doesn't use signals because they're a sign of weakness. I don't know what traffic was like where he grew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
When you have the habit, you have the habit. It's a good habit to have, for a number of reasons. Common courtesy, safety, informing your fellow motorists of your intentions whether turning or changing lanes, and I see lots of pull-overs on LivePD and Cops for turn signals and even more chicken-s stuff. So not getting ticketed for something this minor is an incentive. Especially if your're carrying contraband.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,247,477 times
I use my turn signal out of courtesy to other drivers to let them know ahead of time what I'm doing.

What ever happened to courtesy...not trying to guess wtf you maybe kinda sorta are hinting at doing...oh wait...ah got it now...let me just stop for your convenience so you can live your private self-centered life.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:02 PM

61,915 posts, read 87,471,218 times
Don't they teach it in the driving school?

Old 09-29-2019, 07:26 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Or 50% of the people on the road. That's my guesstimate for local city/highway traffic where I live.

And I guesstimate about 60% are distracted by their phones/whatevers, that includes the occasional cop. Distracted drivers are easy to spot.

Good habit. A friend of mine long ago told me her husband doesn't use signals because they're a sign of weakness. I don't know what traffic was like where he grew up.

When you have the habit, you have the habit. It's a good habit to have, for a number of reasons. Common courtesy, safety, informing your fellow motorists of your intentions whether turning or changing lanes, and I see lots of pull-overs on LivePD and Cops for turn signals and even more chicken-s stuff. So not getting ticketed for something this minor is an incentive. Especially if your're carrying contraband.
Been driving since 1971 when i was 15 never been pulled over for not using my turn single, the police have bigger fish to fry.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:18 PM

91 posts, read 59,540 times
A few days ago I saw a story on a news website about a woman who was sentenced to several years in prison for leading cops on a 25 min. chase. I watched the video that was taken by the dashcam of one of the cops. What AMAZED me was that as she weaved in & out of traffic trying to elude the cops, EVERY SINGLE TIME she changed lanes she used her turn signal! I thought, instead of throwing her in prison they should send her to Colorado to teach people how to use turn signals. While they're at it maybe they could send someone here to teach people how to leave a safe distance from the car ahead of them. And how to stop at stop signs...

Old 09-29-2019, 08:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,092,445 times
"What's that clickin' noise ? "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_3xxQXgFs

Old 09-29-2019, 08:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,223,458 times
Here's how I learned, for my first drivers test:

Crank down the driver side window, typically four turns. Put left arm out the winds. Hand straight for left turn, elbow bent upward for right torn, elbow bent down for stop.

Now, mosr cars have mechanical flashers. I don't use them unless there is other traffic that my be affected by my movement. I always know if there is other traffic, I pay attention to things like that, rather than driving in a vacuum with the speakers blaring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive