Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 06:01 AM

525 posts, read 340,356 times

Advertisements

I have to replace the computer engine control which is under the glove compartment. The engine light came back on even after the mechanic changed thr Sensor MAF 2 times, checked the wires connected to it, and everything that can possibly be related to this light. The code said the problem was the sensor MAF but that's already been replaced by 2 brand new ones. He said the only thing it can be is the computer engine control and gave me price of a used one (1 year warranty) plus labor and it's half of what Toyota is charging for a brand new one plus labor but Toyota is saying they might charge more if they find something else wrong with it but the mechanic I go to already spent some time on it and said this can be the only cause of it. Can only Toyota install and program it or can any mechanic who has the skills, knowledge, and tools do this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 06:41 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
If Toyota considers the program "Proprietary Information" and won't allow it on the open market, then only a Dealer can reprogram the computer.
Good luck with the "used, one year warranty" computer. My favorite mechanic had to get 4 "refurbished" computers for my Chrysler. None of them could be programmed. So, he went to the Dealer to get one. No new ones available, had to get another "refurbished" one. It had to be re-programmed twice for the car to operate.
So far, it has been working (knock on wood).

Old 12-21-2019, 07:21 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I have to replace the computer engine control which is under the glove compartment. The engine light came back on even after the mechanic changed thr Sensor MAF 2 times, checked the wires connected to it, and everything that can possibly be related to this light. The code said the problem was the sensor MAF but that's already been replaced by 2 brand new ones. He said the only thing it can be is the computer engine control and gave me price of a used one (1 year warranty) plus labor and it's half of what Toyota is charging for a brand new one plus labor but Toyota is saying they might charge more if they find something else wrong with it but the mechanic I go to already spent some time on it and said this can be the only cause of it. Can only Toyota install and program it or can any mechanic who has the skills, knowledge, and tools do this too?
Independent repair shops can have access to factory software. I would think Toyota would have that option.
Last I knew of it, they needed a subscription to a factory website in order to do it. The connector under the dash is universal, but in some cases another piece of go-between hardware might be needed depending on the manufacturer.
All that stuff can be pricey, so small one-man shows might not offer that service.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:41 AM

I am going to get it done right now at Toyota.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Is he is using aftermarket sensors? Because that could be a issue in itself. I had new aftermarket sensors bad out of the box. That’s why I spend the money and get factory sensors. Yes they cost more.

Most used computers can be flashed. All they do is put in the vin number and mileage and newest version of the program.

Your mechanic could be wrong on the diagnosis if he’s not using a diagnostic computer.

Pulling the code and replacing the sensor doesn’t mean he fixed the problem. What he needs to do is put the car under a diagnostic computer. That will give him the opportunity to actually see the MAF sensor actually working.

You can call plenty of junkyards and give them your VIN and order a used ECM. Usually comes with a warranty.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:04 AM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
I had aftermarket MAF on Lexus twice and it worked fine. Though Lexus is known to be very anal to electric components.
Also, I do not believe ECM is bad because there is MAF code. MAF code may have various causes, not just sensor itself. Bad harness, for example. Chewed up by rodent. replace sensors all you want to, won't change the issue.
It is a major leap, from MAF to well profiting ECM replacement.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Is he is using aftermarket sensors? Because that could be a issue in itself. I had new aftermarket sensors bad out of the box. That’s why I spend the money and get factory sensors. Yes they cost more.

Most used computers can be flashed. All they do is put in the vin number and mileage and newest version of the program.

Your mechanic could be wrong on the diagnosis if he’s not using a diagnostic computer.

Pulling the code and replacing the sensor doesn’t mean he fixed the problem. What he needs to do is put the car under a diagnostic computer. That will give him the opportunity to actually see the MAF sensor actually working.

You can call plenty of junkyards and give them your VIN and order a used ECM. Usually comes with a warranty.
He did more than replace the sensor 2 times. He checked the cable and tested the wires. He checked and tested every single thing that could be causing it. I am not going to pay for a diagnostic. It's already done. I am not even working. I will pay more only if I have to.

Last edited by Ritzui; 12-21-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-21-2019, 08:55 AM

I am getting the diagnostic now after reading comments.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:58 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I am going to get it done right now at Toyota.
I've been where you are. Check engine light comes on and the mechanic keeps guessing what it might be and each guess cost me a few hundred dollars only for the light to come back on and each time the bill got higher. Do not bank on this lates gambit to fix it either. At some point you have to cut your losses and move on.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:01 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I had aftermarket MAF on Lexus twice and it worked fine. Though Lexus is known to be very anal to electric components.
Also, I do not believe ECM is bad because there is MAF code. MAF code may have various causes, not just sensor itself. Bad harness, for example. Chewed up by rodent. replace sensors all you want to, won't change the issue.
It is a major leap, from MAF to well profiting ECM replacement.
That's pretty much what I just said. You think another $200 is going to finally fix it. If the mechanic can't guarantee a fix I won't pay. Of course, they won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive