Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM

7,495 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

1st Place: 2019 Honda Accord
Highs: Finely tuned control calibrations and responses, unnecessarily quick, a rational purchase.
Lows: Sloppy active lane-keeping assist, there are quieter competitors.
Verdict: A wholesome family sedan that knows how to cut loose.

2nd Place: 2020 Hyundai Sonata
Highs: Assertive, torquey engine; loaded with tech; big parking-lot presence.
Lows: Awkwardly high seating, confused suspension tuning, a tornado of wind noise.
Verdict: Despite constant improvement, Hyundai still does value better than dynamics.

3rd Place: 2020 Toyota Camry
Highs: Assertive powertrain, competent cornering, as comfortable as ever.
Lows: Gritty engine vibrations, cringe-inducing styling, makes a Michigan winter look cheery.
Verdict: It drives better than you think, even if it is still a Camry in earnest.

4th Place: 2020 Nissan Altima
Highs: Holds its own in corners, CVT does a decent job mimicking a conventional automatic.
Lows: Flinty ride, abysmal rearward visibility, light on convenience features.
Verdict: An injection of character into the Altima gives us hope for Nissan.

5th Place: 2020 Subaru Legacy
Highs: Clear sightlines in every direction, better than riding the bus.
Lows: Slow, noisy, and thirsty; like a bounce house without the fun.
Verdict: Its driving dynamics leave us wanting more sportiness.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...dans-compared/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 01:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
there are quieter competitors
Forever an issue with Hondas, which is why I always ended up buying something else.
Even Hondas that are supposed to be luxury cars have this problem.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-17-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 01:55 PM

Such as?

Honda or Hyundai seem to be the best mid size sedan you can buy, better than the other 3 options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Forever an issue with Hondas, which is why I always ended buying something else.
Even Hondas that are supposed to be luxury cars have this problem.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Such as?
My Cruze is quieter than Hondas, even with a diesel engine clattering up front.
That's because they pile on this stuff called "sound deadening", a substance that Honda seems to not know about.
It not only shuts out the engine, but all of the other annoying ruckus that makes its way into Honda cabins.

Quote:
Honda or Hyundai seem to be the best mid size sedan you can buy, better than the other 3 options.
Nope.
If forced to buy one of these, I'd buy one of those V6 Camrys with the red leather interiors, hands down.
Nothing can be done about the Honda and Hyundai noise problems. It's unacceptable.
You can fix unreliable but you can't fix noisy!

Last edited by eaton53; 11-17-2019 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 06:14 PM

Cruze is not in the same class.

As for a Camry, I would definitely buy a Sonata or Accord over the Camry. Noisy Toyota engine vibrations sounds are unacceptable, then again I guess that is why it came in 3 rd place.

“ The Camry's unexpected competence isn't enough to spark any passion, though. We respect it, but we don't aspire to own one. And despite the stylists' best efforts to scare onlookers into noticing it, the Camry's design is no more suggestive than a Land's End shirt. Mostly, we just want to look away.

The interior, awash in simple plastics, is even more disappointing. The urethane steering wheel is as inviting as the Bowflex in your spare bedroom. The screens in the center stack and instrument cluster are small, low-resolution things. And the engine emits a diesel-like grittiness at low rpm that becomes a thrashy buzz when pushed harder. For us, living with these flaws isn't worth the discount the Camry offers over the competitors that finished ahead of it.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
My Cruze is quieter than Hondas, even with a diesel engine clattering up front.
That's because they pile on this stuff called "sound deadening", a substance that Honda seems to not know about.
It not only shuts out the engine, but all of the other annoying ruckus that makes its way into Honda cabins.

Nope.
If forced to buy one of these, I'd buy one of those V6 Camrys with the red leather interiors, hands down.
Nothing can be done about the Honda and Hyundai noise problems. It's unacceptable.
You can fix unreliable but you can't fix noisy!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Cruze is not in the same class.
I know, it's a cheaper car.
That makes larger, more expensive cars skimping on noise reduction materials more egregious.

Quote:
As for a Camry, I would definitely buy a Sonata or Accord over the Camry. Noisy Toyota engine vibrations sounds are unacceptable, then again I guess that is why it came in 3rd place.
Yeah, they got the crap 4-cylinder.
This is easily solved by getting a V6, which is not even available on the others.

Quote:
The Camry's unexpected competence isn't enough to spark any passion, though. We respect it, but we don't aspire to own one. And despite the stylists' best efforts to scare onlookers into noticing it, the Camry's design is no more suggestive than a Land's End shirt. Mostly, we just want to look away.

The interior, awash in simple plastics, is even more disappointing. The urethane steering wheel is as inviting as the Bowflex in your spare bedroom. The screens in the center stack and instrument cluster are small, low-resolution things. And the engine emits a diesel-like grittiness at low rpm that becomes a thrashy buzz when pushed harder. For us, living with these flaws isn't worth the discount the Camry offers over the competitors that finished ahead of it.”
All of the cars in this comparo are mainstream appliances, not sports sedans. Passion? That's laughable in this discussion.

None of these nitpicky, minor complaints about interior plastics and screen resolution are worse than Loud Car.
IMO, the red leather interior I'd pick looks WAY better than the other lame beige, gray, black interiors.
So they can stick their opinion on what has a better available interior.

As for "passion", at least the version of the Camry I described tries.
None of the others make a very convincing effort.

Bottom line... C&D picked the wrong Camry.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-17-2019 at 06:54 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 06:55 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,947,274 times
For most-reliable and most-durable, Ford Fusion S (base). Period... Satisfaction guaranteed.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
For most-reliable and most-durable, Ford Fusion S (base). Period... Satisfaction guaranteed.
That car is an ill-equipped penalty box. Wouldn't want it if it never broke.
My MIL bought a base Fusion because it was cheap. That's about the extent of the positives. Otherwise, a big yuck.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-17-2019 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 07:42 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Not a fan of the Accord nose. Looks like it hit a horizontal metal bar smashing in the grill.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The Legacy has the base engine. It’s a totally different car with the turbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive