Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Hybrids, and EVs, are popping up in a lot of performance vehicles rather than vehicles targeted more towards people who worry about fuel economy. That instant torque is pretty fantastic and as more hybrids and EVs lean on that strength and prices go down, more people will be wondering why they should buy a gas car when there are hybrids and EVs that are better in various ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 10:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
The Prius Prime is currently the PHEV that has the longest range of any car on the road. Fully charged and full on gas it has a range of 620mi in one tank. 12.8 gallon tank.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
When I see hybrids getting 50mpg with more than enough power for 99% of people - I tend to think fully electric vehicles sound pointless although it may indeed be where we wind up.

At 50mpg driving average mileage it only costs a few hundred bucks more to fuel a hybrid. Plus with a hybrid you have an unlimited driving range (gas stations) and no need to remember plugging up. So what’s the compelling argument for going fully electric?

And cars that can run 40-50 miles on battery power are already somewhat common...so why the burning desire to be fully electric? 40-50 miles covers daily driving for ~80% of people. An efficient ICE (they seem to continually improve) seems like the perfect compliment to the batteries.

Is it the environmental angle? The novelty of being fully electric?
Those who desire to put on the "I'm better than you" attitude drove these car sales. Kind of like the BMW owners.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
They make great city cars if you have access to a charging station at home and or work.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:41 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I've wondered that myself.

And for those of us who don't drive much (about 5000 miles a year), the added fuel mileage of a hybrid or diesel will never make up for the additional cost.

My son bought T3 couple months back.
His charging cost for last month was something around $15.

Try beat that with any ICE mpg.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Why?
1. ICE is basically exhausted. It's same old, centuries old, concept.

2. Indeed, it costs them less to produce an EV. You want them to pass savings onto you? Did they ever? Why would they now? Though Renault released a $8500 EV in China and India. Specs similar to Leaf, actually.
3. Hybrids are just another attempt to salvage dying out ICE, at extra cost to consumer.
4. main, in my opinion, is - crowd needs new excitement. What electrics do provide.

5. Electrics are basically a moving computer. It's another mean of crowd control, in case of need.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:48 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,144,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
When I see hybrids getting 50mpg with more than enough power for 99% of people - I tend to think fully electric vehicles sound pointless although it may indeed be where we wind up.

At 50mpg driving average mileage it only costs a few hundred bucks more to fuel a hybrid. Plus with a hybrid you have an unlimited driving range (gas stations) and no need to remember plugging up. So what’s the compelling argument for going fully electric?

And cars that can run 40-50 miles on battery power are already somewhat common...so why the burning desire to be fully electric? 40-50 miles covers daily driving for ~80% of people. An efficient ICE (they seem to continually improve) seems like the perfect compliment to the batteries.

Is it the environmental angle? The novelty of being fully electric?
I guess looking at it from a long term range, if you plan to keep the car for more than 10 yrs.

Electric: Battery or Electric Motor Replacement. Full EV will have the largest battery, so cost the most to replace, but will have the least amount of maintenance, since there is no fuel system and exhaust components.

Gas: Engine and Transmission

Hybrid: Engine, Transmission, and Battery. Transmission is probably a CVT too. So Hybrid just adds a extra component to the mix to worry about.

Plug In Hybrid: Engine, Transmission, and even bigger Battery. Same as Hybrid, but with a more expensive Battery.

If one is just keeping a car the typical 7-10yrs, a PHEV would be the best choice, IFrange anxiety with EV is a concern, but when they are usually $5-10K more than the gas version of the car, it offsets al the savings on gasoline, unless you can pick up one 1-2yrs old for aorund the same price as a gas version.

EV's make the best commuter cars, if they have a 250-300 mile range, but with EV's costing $35K +, they would have to come down $10K+ to really start taking over, as not everyone wants a $600 a month car payment.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:48 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
My son bought T3 couple months back.
His charging cost for last month was something around $15.

Try beat that with any ICE mpg.
My cost of gas last month was $80, and my car depreciated less than $65 more than your son's Tesla did.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
EV's make the best commuter cars, if they have a 250-300 mile range, but with EV's costing $35K +, they would have to come down $10K+ to really start taking over, as not everyone wants a $600 a month car payment.
Disagree. Ideal commuter car would have a range of 50-100 miles. Anything more than that and you are hauling around expensive and superflous battery packs. And the fewer of these you haul around, the more miles per kilowatt of energy used you will garner.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:55 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
A hybrid must carry two separate systems: (1) internal combustion engine, plus transmission; and (2) electric motor, batteries, and speed-controller for switching of battery-current to drive the motor. Then there's a third system, blending the engine and the motor. This is heavy and complex. It's hard to maintain.

The big appeal of purely electric cars is simplicity, lower parts-count, better usage of space, and - as battery density improves - lighter weight. A hybrid trades away all of these benefits, in the interest of longer range.

I'd rather have a pure EV, with lower range - such as 100 miles - to save on battery weight; or a pure ICE vehicle. A hybrid is an awkward half-measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive