Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 11:07 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1uF...TVIpRuV7LF2jFU

Maybe in 20 years I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
They definitely need to expand these spots. Even upgrading to v3 alone would take care of most of this. Unshared charging is what will benefit the most.
They could improve the charge, cover the entire lot with a huge top cover of solar panels expand to three times the capacity.
However, most places aren’t like this and they can address the worst problem spots now.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:41 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
I think is worst case scenario given that the 5 and 33 hwy were closed due to snow on Thanksgiving. This loaded up traffic on the 14 and 101. I've got a Tesla with free Supercharging, but I know better than to attempt a road-trip on the busiest travel day of the year during our region's first low elevation snow storm of the season. Instead, I drove 8 miles to my aunt's house in the next town over. I had enough juice if I wanted to drive back and forth 15 times before I would need to recharge...or I could have taken another vehicle. I don't think I would rely on solely owning one vehicle and I wouldn't want to own only electric vehicles. Diversity is good...I never understood folks that have multiples of the same model car.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:55 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I think is worst case scenario given that the 5 and 33 hwy were closed due to snow on Thanksgiving. This loaded up traffic on the 14 and 101. I've got a Tesla with free Supercharging, but I know better than to attempt a road-trip on the busiest travel day of the year during our region's first low elevation snow storm of the season. Instead, I drove 8 miles to my aunt's house in the next town over. I had enough juice if I wanted to drive back and forth 15 times before I would need to recharge...or I could have taken another vehicle. I don't think I would rely on solely owning one vehicle and I wouldn't want to own only electric vehicles. Diversity is good...I never understood folks that have multiples of the same model car.
That's true, but you'd hope that even for conditions like these, there's enough slack in the network to still make things relatively smooth.

Anyhow, it's known that Tesla is behind on the supercharger installation schedule they wanted which was probably due to the delayed rollout of Supercharger v.3 (since why roll out a bunch of version 2's when the much faster version 3 was supposed to be just around the riverbend). The question is that now that v.3 is out, are they planning to quickly pick up the pace given that they're doing pretty decently with sales and are nearing launch of a vehicle that is in a particular popular segment for the US?

I also can't help but think that once Tesla knew they were going to be late in the supercharger v.3 launch, then they should have launched a CCS adapter and should have had a much lower price for their ChaDeMo adapter so they can piggyback off of other networks that have launched and are in especially large concentration in California.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:27 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
This type of thing is a rare occurrence. We’ve taken our Tesla on 5 road trips and never had to wait to charge. You’d be foolish to let an anomaly like this influence your buying decisions.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
I’ll be a likely buyer in 10-12 years. My expectation is the battery technology, solar efficiency, and charging infrastructure will all take huge leaps forward.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:07 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
I recall a business trip to the Florida panhandle, right after one of their major hurricanes. The power outage also knocked out most of the gas-station gasoline pumps. I had to fill up my rental car before returning it to the airport. Driving around, every nearby station had plastic bags over their pump-handles... they were only open for selling junk-food, not gas. It took an hour (or more!) to finally find an open gas station. I nearly missed my flight.

The reason to presently forebear from getting a EV is (1) the poor energy density of batteries, and (2) the tendency of most EVs currently available to either be SUVs or economy cars. Sporting-oriented cars, with the possible exception of Tesla and a few odd and heinously expensive exotics, simply aren't around.

Once there is an electric Mazda Miata, I'll be lined up to buy it. Even if that entails a multiple-hour line at every instance when I'd have to recharge it.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:59 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I’ll be a likely buyer in 10-12 years. My expectation is the battery technology, solar efficiency, and charging infrastructure will all take huge leaps forward.
I completely respect your perspective, but wanted to point out that if cost is a factor in any of the above components, you might find the sweet spot in slightly older of used versions. For instance, solar panels get more and more efficient each year where a 250W panel would cost you about $300 a few years ago and is now only $200. Meanwhile $300 today could buy a 300W panel. Similarly used EV cars with less range than the current offerings can be had at a fraction of the price.

The technology keeps advancing which causes the older tech to diminish in monetary value even though there can still be great utility value with the right user. In the case of solar, typically it is wise to not overspend on the most efficient panels unless you are limited to array design. However, if you're more interested in a breakthrough in the technology then by all means keep waiting.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:23 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This type of thing is a rare occurrence. We’ve taken our Tesla on 5 road trips and never had to wait to charge. You’d be foolish to let an anomaly like this influence your buying decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
How rare? Anomaly? This was 85 miles east in Kettleman City, CA...right off of the 5 freeway.

This is worse than a traffic jam because in a traffic jam you likely have alternative routes. You don't here. Makes you think twice about taking a Tesla (certainly on a holiday weekend) on a long trip, doesn't it?

https://www.facebook.com/shanon.stel...1275983794800/

Last edited by Vic Romano; 12-01-2019 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 12:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I would like one as a second car, but the economics of it just does work out, not even close. The selection is too small right now, not many models to choose from. The only one I like is the Tesla Model S, the rest are just dog ugly and rather stupid looking.

For what the Model S costs, I can find something equally satisfying for much less. Maybe shortly in the future more models will come out at varying price points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive