Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Nope.

A drunk driver heading towards you crosses the double yellow line and hits you head on.

You better have an air bag.
Or you swerve out of the way. Dudes doing 60 a airbag isn’t gonna do crap. First thing I put on my cars are Ranchhand bumpers. The other thing I do....stay completely aware of who the f is around me. In front or behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I could afford to pay cash for a $60,000 truck if I wanted to. Instead, I’ve opted to pay a $1000 for a 1983 Ford F-150 4x4 with a 300 engine and a 4 speed manual transmission. I’ll fix it myself. No computer, not smog emissions, simple truck. All I need are my hand tools in the barn to keep it running.
Great trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 01:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Gave my nephew a F150 4x4 with 300 and 5spd... clean truck... one owner retired guy bought to go hunting and fishing... perfect metal.

I think Dave would be happy...

Old 12-14-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not if you have crap for credit. A buddy of mine got a loan at 19%. They couldn’t qualify him they wanted him to come back and resign for a HIGHER rate. I told him walk in hand the keys back walk out
Seen similar... but the kicker was they had already wholesaled out the trade in... he bought the car Friday afternoon and Monday night Dealer calls and says he needs to come in... he comes in Tuesday and they want to change financing... he says forget it... here is your truck and give me back mine... well it was too late... the Deal Stood...

Old 12-14-2019, 05:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Seen similar... but the kicker was they had already wholesaled out the trade in... he bought the car Friday afternoon and Monday night Dealer calls and says he needs to come in... he comes in Tuesday and they want to change financing... he says forget it... here is your truck and give me back mine... well it was too late... the Deal Stood...
There is huge profit in those sub prime car loans. The worst are the buy here/pay here lots where the cars have GPS locators and ignition disablers. They buy trash auction cars, clean them up, and sell them at big markup and enormous interest rates. If the buyer defaults, the car gets towed away, cleaned up, and sold to the next sucker. It’s really expensive to be poor with lousy credit.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:34 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Never heard of him, so his advise means nothing to me.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:54 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There is huge profit in those sub prime car loans. The worst are the buy here/pay here lots where the cars have GPS locators and ignition disablers. They buy trash auction cars, clean them up, and sell them at big markup and enormous interest rates. If the buyer defaults, the car gets towed away, cleaned up, and sold to the next sucker. It’s really expensive to be poor with lousy credit.
My friend just bought a 2016 Rav4 from a Toyota dealer at 21%. After showing him what that meant, he used savings he didn't want to touch, and paid it off. He's putting the equivalent of a car payment back into savings every month instead now. Actually, that's pretty similar to what Dave teaches, except for not borrowing in the first place.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Or you swerve out of the way. Dudes doing 60 a airbag isn’t gonna do crap. First thing I put on my cars are Ranchhand bumpers. The other thing I do....stay completely aware of who the f is around me. In front or behind me.

Easy to say, not always easy to do.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
He lucked out and his truck was still at the trade in lot. So he was able to drive away in his old truck. They couldn’t finalize the deal he made with them he doesn’t have to keep the deal. Dealer wasn’t happy. But tough tamales.......on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Easy to say, not always easy to do.
You’re right it may not be easy or possible. But at 60 mph airbags aren’t gonna save you. You’re gonna be effed up eating chicken through a crazy straw for 6 months. IF you survive.
When i go to work in the morning i leave early and I keep a good 3 second distance (3-4 car lengths between me and the guy in front, scan mirrors, watch who and what’s around me. Guy with a flat bed and cargo....is that stuff strapped down or flopping around. Which A-hole is driving like .....well.....an Ahole? Let him go by, you don’t need to “teach him a lesson”. I may not be able to completely avoid some drunk tard on a head o collision but I’m gonna do anything I can to ease the impact or try to avoid it altogether.
The best thing to do is pay attention to the road. Even I it’s a head on you can usually see it coming. The biggest issue is people tend to want to brake rather than swerve.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-14-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Auto row had several We Tote the Note operations... for some it was that or walk.

Also, depending on how interest is calculated paying off the loan early might now save as much as thought because the way it is structured... in other words they are not simple interest.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:08 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Owned one new car in my life and it was a unique situation working in Germany at the time.

In High School I bought an $800 car and drove it daily for 20 years... an old Plymouth Valiant with over 100k miles at the time.

This car has saved me tens of thousands of dollars over the years... not just cost, but maintenance, insurance and it has appreciated... I turned down $3000 for it a few months back...

Cars are plentiful and finance plans sure make it easy to make yourself a payment slave.

Some of the nicest new cars in employee parking lot are owned by those in their 20's starting their career... 50K plus vehicles owned by people just starting out...

Seen it happen so many times... people upside down on their vehicles.

While my friends were all buying nice cars and trucks I bought my first house at 22... it was scheduled for a condemnation hearing... all 600 square feet of 1910 cottage on a postage stamp 25x100 city lot in East Oakland CA...

On occasion I have heard the Ramsey program while driving... have to say I have practiced much of what he preaches and it has served me well...

The home is a topic I could go on and on about and I still have it to this day... suffice it to say when the family first saw if they were in shock… my Step Grandfather said I was young and had time to recover... it was the best financial decision of my life... by the time I was 24 I had nice renovated home and no mortgage here in the SF Bay Area...

Growing up around the car business as a kid... it was eye opening how many just want what they want and willing mortgage their future on a mostly depreciating item...

I have never sold a car for less than I had in it or financed a vehicle... the new BMW bought back in Germany at substantial discount would be the first so I have to keep it forever... which is OK too.

Did you get a lot of dates in that Valiant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive