Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times

Advertisements

A situation is developed that I need some advice. It isn't me. Let's say someone stole your bag that has your car keys plus other documents that have your home address. Now you are wondering if the thieves are coming for your car. The car is a late model Infinity with a push start. You do have a spare key so you can drive the car. I suppose you could park it somewhere away from where you live but that may not be practical. Ok, now what can the dealer do to help? Can they reprogram the key so the original won't work? Should the insurance company know about this before something bad happens? Anyway to disable the car until a fix is found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 10:10 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Explained here:
https://www.petrolprices.com/guides/...olen-car-keys/
https://www.geico.com/more/driving/a...your-car-keys/

Install a car tracker. An inexpensive way to track your stolen car.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/car-track...nrm3hd5jtwj8cu

Last edited by elnina; 12-18-2019 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 12:17 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,847 times
The owner can install a hidden kill switch, or have an alarm company do it. If they're cheap, they can simply pull the fuel injection relay (or similar) when it's parked at home, but doing that would get old in a hurry (the key could still be used to unlock the car, but the solution there is not to keep anything "good" in it). I'm assuming the victim does not have a garage. I'm sure the car could be "re-keyed", but that is probably cost-prohibitive.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:19 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
dealer re-keying a car is not a big deal (it is expensive), but it preferrable to worrying all the time about the car being stolen from your driveway. You can pull "fuses" or even remove the whole battery if you want to prevent the car from being started/driven away, but there is mostly no defense against somebody hitching it up to a tow truck and dragging it away (didnt Joker or Penguin steal the Batmobile in Batman II this way?)

I would not be as concerned for the car, as for the possibility that somebody has my *house key*. That's DEFCON III until you change them locks.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
You could use the Club. I would also use a tracker. I had a car stolen once and got it back. Used the Club on it for years after because the steering wheel column was busted when it was stolen.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:14 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Also, don't forget to file police reports promptly, one for the stolen bag and then another if and when the car is stolen. You need to have a paper trail in case you have to claim insurance for anything, and remember you've already paid for the criminal justice system via your tax dollars so you may as well use it.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:38 AM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
You could use the Club. I would also use a tracker. I had a car stolen once and got it back. Used the Club on it for years after because the steering wheel column was busted when it was stolen.

Don't even consider this. It's a joke. Pretty much, like any other similar device.

Go to dealer immediately and re key the car. As in - immediately. Saving of the drowning one is sole interest of the drowning one.

Also, re code your garage openers and gate opener, if you have one.
Immediately.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:41 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Don't even consider this. It's a joke. Pretty much, like any other similar device.

Go to dealer immediately and re key the car. As in - immediately. Saving of the drowning one is sole interest of the drowning one.

Also, re code your garage openers and gate opener, if you have one.
Immediately.
Agree 100%. A hack saw can defeat a club in 15 seconds. One cut through the steering wheel and the club is gone.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:42 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
The fact that the dealer says they are booked until after Christmas doesn't help either. The Club suggestion is a good one. I have seen a Club since John Travolta was last seen.

ps

I am not sure they would want to cut through the steering wheel. These days the steering wheel is part of the car. I recall I could pull it by removing just one big nut.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Good time to invest in a handgun..

As far as clubs. My brake club has kept my F350 from being stolen three times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive