Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 03:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Well, he could buy a new car that would lose $10k in value in just a few years, even if maintenance and repairs are mostly covered by a warranty.
This is exactly what I’m talking about re: BMW drivers. That is a ridiculous justification.

When a car becomes a POS, you get rid of it.

As much as I love my LS430 it would be gone in a flash if it started falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 04:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
How are later/recent Cadillacs? Don't know much about them relative the cost of getting a German car to 200k.
2007 SRX.
It was a great car. Unfortunately the wife had a hard time figuring out where the ends of that car were.
She actually hit my car with it!

Now she has a 2015 XTS Platinum with every driver aid. If it gets too close to my car, it'll slam on the brakes by itself.
When we test drove one, we took it home to see how it would fit in the garage.
When the wife backed out, she aimed it slightly toward my car... and it slammed on the brakes.
She said "I didn't touch the brake!" to which I replied "That's what I need!".

The SRX had over 100K on it and was going strong. I hated to get rid of it, but she kept running into stuff with it. That does not work.
She had a couple of smaller cars, including a C320 4Matic that put my right leg to sleep on trips.
When I traded it, the CEL was on but the dealer didn't seem to care. Didn't even mention it, it was almost as if it was expected.
Thought that was kind of odd, but whatever, no longer my problem.
Then driver aids advanced to where we could get back to a larger luxury car.

I'm not afraid of any Cadillac, especially the XTS which shares much with the Impala/LaCrosse.
I have a long extended warranty. If it breaks after that I'll fix it because the cost to replace it with an equivalent would be very high.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-24-2019 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 06:33 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've owned several Japanese cars over 200k mi and mostly with no engine problems. The question is can VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercs last over 200k mi reliably? I've seen a few E90 3 series and many go for $3k+ with over 175k mi and the interior and exterior looks to be in very good shape compare to Japanese cars. But the real question is. Can these cars last more than 200k mi with just basic DIY maintenance.
No.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
've owned several Japanese cars over 200k mi and mostly with no engine problems. The question is can VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercs last over 200k mi reliably? I've seen a few E90 3 series and many go for $3k+ with over 175k mi and the interior and exterior looks to be in very good shape compare to Japanese cars. But the real question is. Can these cars last more than 200k mi with just basic DIY maintenance.
VW Phaetons always look great even with high miles because the materials used are of the highest quality.
IMO, when they were newer they were truly magnificent machines.

Everything working today... now that is another story entirely.
Someone to repair it... possibly an even better story.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:30 PM

686 posts, read 806,564 times
I have owned a 2019 vw atlas awd for a year this month. I hate it. First brand new sub and first German auto and it’s a POS. Been in the shop 6 + times for coolant warning lights they can’t seem to figure out, replaced both front sway bar links, replaced push button start , and re installed rear climate screen after it fell out of the console. I’ve got a case open with VW to buy it back. Im willing to even take a small loss to get ride
Of this piece of junk.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I have owned a 2019 vw atlas awd for a year this month. I hate it. First brand new sub and first German auto and it’s a POS. Been in the shop 6 + times for coolant warning lights they can’t seem to figure out, replaced both front sway bar links, replaced push button start , and re installed rear climate screen after it fell out of the console. I’ve got a case open with VW to buy it back. Im willing to even take a small loss to get ride
Of this piece of junk.
My old man always said never by first model year of anyone's car. It takes a few before all the bugs are worked out, those who buy early are the guinea pigs car companies use for research. *LOL*

Looked at the Atlas, but wanted to wait until it had a year or so under its belt to see what people are saying, *and* what was coming out regarding reliability....

Old 12-24-2019, 08:39 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
How many people keep cars to 200k?.
Exactly. People overlook what a pile of junk a car with 200,000 miles looks. Falling roofliner, worn out seats, stains everywhere.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 PM

686 posts, read 806,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
My old man always said never by first model year of anyone's car. It takes a few before all the bugs are worked out, those who buy early are the guinea pigs car companies use for research. *LOL*

Looked at the Atlas, but wanted to wait until it had a year or so under its belt to see what people are saying, *and* what was coming out regarding reliability....
This is true. The interior room and warranty is what sold me. 6yr/72k mileBumper to bumper. It’s a shame I have to use it so frequently.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
She had a couple of smaller cars, including a C320 4Matic that put my right leg to sleep on trips.
When I traded it, the CEL was on but the dealer didn't seem to care. Didn't even mention it, it was almost as if it was expected.
With the Passat of Despair, the persistent CEL was for some sort of emissions issue. Indie German car mechanic said it was only a concern if we lived in an area where they inspected for it and we didn’t. That Passat also had the VW electrical gremlins relatively common in that vehicle’s era and living in a Subtropical climate didn’t help that. Had so many issues with that vehicle that it was sold to one of those ‘we buy junk’ guys around 90k miles for a couple hundred bucks and their willingness to haul the effectively dead thing out of the driveway

I wouldn’t be surprised if the C320 went to auction and then overseas to a place with lax import laws. You see a lot of car carriers filled with late model entry level luxury cars on I-10 in Florida headed to Jaxport for export

Old 12-24-2019, 09:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Exactly. People overlook what a pile of junk a car with 200,000 miles looks. Falling roofliner, worn out seats, stains everywhere.
Speak for yourself. I'm at 142k but my car still looks brand new inside.

There are LOTS of people who buy cars for the long haul and keep them.

I hate making car payments, and I'm not alone. Once you pay off a car and it's yours free and clear it's a great "ahhh" feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive