Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Germany and other European countries are mandating electric vehicles. That's why VW and others are retooling to produce them. Government is taking away the freedom of choice, and artificially driving the market.

https://electrek.co/2016/06/14/all-n...-germany-2030/
China is the largest overall market and will be the largest EV market. VW is #1 in market share there... 18.5%
When did China offer freedom of anything?

Last edited by eaton53; 12-29-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 01:43 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
China is the largest overall market and will be the largest EV market. VW is #1 in market share there... 18.5%

Which is counterintuitive as China is very dependent on COAL and building more coal fired electric generation plants all the time, so it can't be a "carbon" thing.

Quote:
When did China offer freedom of anything?

True. Perhaps their culture and society aren't comfortable with freedom. Some people like to be ruled I guess.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:57 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors..._supercharger/

I know this is one Supercharging station that has issue but it is the perfect example what I've said in the past that we don't have enough charging infrastructure to support the amount of EVs that will be on the roads across the country. Maybe they need to implement some type of time limit to under 15mins just to get people on the roads instead of sitting there waiting...
Charging lines like the 1973-4 and 1979 gas lines?
Does this linked article (link) bring back memories? That will be the result of this mindless dash towards EV before an infrastructure is ready. And at no carbon savings since electricity doesn't grown on trees.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Which is counterintuitive as China is very dependent on COAL and building more coal fired electric generation plants all the time, so it can't be a "carbon" thing.
It's a sales thing. Automakers are global corporations... if there is global demand (in VW's case, their two largest markets) they will build it.
GM is out of U.S. tax credits and have no presence in Europe, but you can bet they will have EVs.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:04 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors..._supercharger/

I know this is one Supercharging station that has issue but it is the perfect example what I've said in the past that we don't have enough charging infrastructure to support the amount of EVs that will be on the roads across the country.
When the early automotive pioneers (Chrysler, Henry Ford etc.) first started building masses of cars and made them affordable, did we have enough gas stations, auto repair shops, etc.?

Of course not. But they soon grew to meet the demand. So will charging stations, power lines etc.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:15 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,271,020 times
Just FYI, this charging station is the same one that had the big backup around Thanksgiving.

Not that it's not an issue, but keep in mind we are talking about a few charging stations btw LA and SF that are congested around winter holiday travel. Not some pandemic. More chargers will definitely need to be built.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:15 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When the early automotive pioneers (Chrysler, Henry Ford etc.) first started building masses of cars and made them affordable, did we have enough gas stations, auto repair shops, etc.?

Of course not. But they soon grew to meet the demand. So will charging stations, power lines etc.
Gas stations grew without government subsidies. Now EV charging stations are growing with government subsidies or mandates, such as requiring them at hotels.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:40 PM

8,345 posts, read 6,438,626 times
For me waiting around while the car gets charged is out of the question.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
For me waiting around while the car gets charged is out of the question.
Me too. I'm still interested in a Volt, but once the nightly home charge is depleted i'd just use gas.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Main reason I point this example because I think if EV sales becomes double digits in terms of total car sales. You may see more of this type of problem. There are plenty of people that don't have their own garage or drive way that will need some place to charge. I drive to a lot of parking lots and garages at most I see maybe just 4-6 EV charging spots out of perhaps 400 parking spots in a shopping district. That isn't enough to handle EVs when they become more in common. We'll need to see every public parking garage have atleast 20-30 charging spots just to meet the growing need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive