Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not the kind of news the "Buy American" crowd likes to hear (though multiple foreign cars are actually made IN America), but not surprised.

Even with the big three U.S. automakers supposedly upping their game the past few decades, time after time the end results are the same.

https://www.businessinsider.com/15-c...edium=referral
I have, over the years, owned pretty much every American car brand built, and also have owned some Toyotas and Hondas. While many of the American cars were very good, I have to say the Toyotas and Hondas were bulletproof. The bodies held up great, the interiors didn't show wear even after lots of miles, and the drivetrains just kept on going and going.

Currently, I do not drive very many miles per year, so I own a few American cars, but if I were driving for business, like I did years ago, I would own another Toyota or Honda in a heartbeat. You just can't kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
"The 15 cars owners keep the longest in the US are almost all made by Toyota and Honda"

Does this measure the longevity of the vehicles or is it measuring ownership bias? Think about it. Let's say everyone believes, right or wrong, that Brand X will last 25 years while Brand Y is a junkyard queen after only 10 years. And so at the 10 year point owners of Brand X will invest in major service or overhauls to keep them on the road, while owners of Brand Y will have them towed to the junkyard because "everyone knows" they don't last.

These preconceived ideas about longevity also factor into resale value. Brand Y will have a lower resale value because "everyone knows" they don't last. This also enters into the owner's decision whether to repair it or junk it.

There are too many emotional human factors in length of ownership to make it a reliable indicator of vehicle longevity.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:45 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
Our 2006 Honda Ridgeline has over 240,000 miles on it, and we bought it ten years ago nearly to the day. I was just telling my hubby how we've owned it for ten years. It's a great vehicle, reliable, comfortable, and great for our uses including pulling our camper all over the Western States. We love it so much that we plan to buy a newer one by the end of this year.

We also have a 2013 Honda Civic and I can see no reason why we'd get rid of it. Again it's reliable, comfortable, and gets fantastic gas mileage. I see no reason to get rid of it in the next several years, we've owned it for 3 1/2 already.

We're a family that likes Honda's and we're not the norm where we live in rural Wyoming, the land of the great big trucks all Ford, Chevy, or Ram. That's okay. We can share the road.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:08 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
All seem like boring (reliable) appliance cars to me. Such cars tend to be driven by owners who favor reliability and longevity and making the most out of their $$. They don't seek image, and just need a vehicle to get them from point A to point B.

The more showy vehicles out there (Dodge chargers SRT8's, Chrysler 300's, BMW 3-series, Mercedes, Jeep Trackhawks etc etc) tend to be driven by people seeking an image, who want a new image every 3-5 years. Some can also be quite expensive, which means leasing, and/or needing to bail out of the car when it because too expensive after a few years of payments.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:37 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
My oldest daughter is going to start driving this year. We are looking into getting her a newer, used car. We have been checking out the Rav4 and the CR-V. Definitely more expensive than comparable American cars (i.e. Ford Escape) and less of them available.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:40 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
More fake news from Business Insider...what's new?
These guys are same as Huff's and other biased hacks pretending to be journalists

Old 01-27-2020, 12:43 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
the interiors didn't show wear even after lots of miles
This right here. I've had American cars (have one right now) and I've had Hondas. My last car, a Ford Expedition, ran like a champ. Put 150K miles on it with no problems. We sold it to someone very local, so we still see it on the road sometimes (I had an emblem on the back that he never removed, so we know it's mine). So it's still going two years later. But parts of the interior were just wearing out - the finishes on the buttons, etc. Drove me nuts because it seemed too soon to be doing that (it started at about 100K). My mom had a GMC that was even worse. She started seeing signs of wear after about 60K miles. Ironically, she now drives a Honda.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:03 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
And I'm pretty sure I'd want to know a breakdown of where the cars are registered instead of making blanket statements.
The quality of the weather (or lack thereof) has a HUGE effect on longetivity.
True, but so does whether or not a vehicle is garaged or not.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Interesting... but part of me wonders if it is a chicken/egg issue.

Okay, maybe Hondas and Toyotas are a little more reliable than other brands. Maybe a lot more. But even if they are only a little more, or even no more reliable than other brands... you could easily see results like this. Why? Because people who see cars as depreciating assets that they need to get from point A to point B tend to take care of their cars and keep them for as long as possible in order to avoid having to spend more on a depreciating asset.

On the other hand, people who see cars as a status symbol, or a hobby... are more likely to drive... shall we say... spirited? And are more concerned with having the biggest, best, and newest than they are with squeezing out value.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I think that is because the parts and service cost so much for these cars the owners cannot afford to save up for a new car.

Another reason may be because of where people buy different types of cars. Most of the salt/rust states are heavily Us Automakers while warmer (western) states tend to be more foreign brands.

Third reason may be because the majority of US made cars purchased are pick up trucks and big SUVs. If the owners are like me, they work and beat the heck out of a pick up. If I tried to make a Honda do what I make my pick up do, the Honda would not survive a year. However even with a pick up, when you work it and beat it up like that, you cannot expect it to last as long as a car that just tools along on pavement carrying one or two passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive